I think I'm in love with this Midtown

What's Hot
hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
Want! Pelham Blue is just about my favourite colour and I love the shape :)

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    It is a great colour. I'm curious about his ebony board comment. My midtown standard Bigsby has a black ebony looking board but I always thought that meant it was Richlite? Any experts know the answer?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I'm not a fan of blue, but I'd be interested to read about how you get on with the Midtown if you buy it :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I have a Midtown P90, they are harder to come by than the Humbucker models which means they seem to hold there value pretty well despite that they were a few hundred quid cheaper at the time. I'd be very surprised if the fretboard was ebony. The spec for these (standard P90) was Rosewood, not the richlite of the HB model. They also had a two-piece top unlike the 3 piece of the HB model (not that that matters when covered in lovely Pelham Blue).

It's a great guitar, mines a bit rough around the edges on the build front in places but it plays nice and tone-wise has seen off some far more esoteric guitars.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @dindude my GAS list might just get a bit bigger!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 712
    WOW, LIKE THAT! Never knew they did these with P90s!!! 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    @dindude - I've got the midtown p90 too, as you say with rosewood. My point was that the seller may be mistaken, it may be richlite on the pelham blue and not ebony?
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited March 2015

I was going to buy that, but was put off by the butterised fretboard. I prefer the feel of an hard substance - like wood. If I wanted that treacle, greasy feel, I would rub lard all over my fretboard to ruin the playability and tone. 

Bogwhoppit;551345" said:
    I was going to buy that, but was put off by the butterised fretboard. I prefer the feel of an hard substance - like wood. If I wanted that treacle, greasy feel, I would rub lard all over my fretboard to ruin the playability and tone. 

Erm, haven't we established that it is rosewood!
    dindude said:
    Bogwhoppit;551345" said:

Erm, haven't we established that it is rosewood!

The seller tells us its like butter...

"Wonderful low action all the way along the neck – no buzz or rattle – like playing on butter"

Is it Ebony, Rosewood or Butter... or even marg ?

Bogwhoppit;551371" said:
    dindude said:

Bogwhoppit;551345" said:

I was going to buy that, but was put off by the butterised fretboard. I prefer the feel of an hard substance - like wood. If I wanted that treacle, greasy feel, I would rub lard all over my fretboard to ruin the playability and tone.   Erm, haven't we established that it is rosewood!

The seller tells us its like butter...

"Wonderful low action all the way along the neck – no buzz or rattle – like playing on butter"

Is it Ebony, Rosewood or Butter... or even marg ?
    Ah gotcha! Sorry, I'm taking this fingerboard thing far too seriously.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    How is it established that it's rosewood? The seller is claiming ebony, how can anyone here establish anything if they haven't even seen the guitar?

hobbio said:
    How is it established that it's rosewood? The seller is claiming ebony, how can anyone here establish anything if they haven't even seen the guitar?

Gibson claim Rosewood in their specs, the seller claims Buttered Ebony

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Midtown-Standard-P-90/Specs.aspx

Fingerboard

Species  Rosewood

hobbio;551470" said:
    It's a bog standard Midtown Standard P90 and they came with rosewood, it's in the spec sheet posted elsewhere and I also have the same guitar. If I was thinking of buying it I would challenge the buyer as to the ebony, unless it's a special custom order (I doubt it) then the spec for this guitar is rosewood.

Here's mine by the way. I changed the plastics from cream to black.

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n505/dindude/464b84d87f91f4903c2a0fedee3e159a_zps342eaaae.jpg
    edited March 2015
    No, I get that the standard spec shows as rosewood but the seller is saying that it is actually ebony due to Gibson's timber problems at the time. It wouldn't be the first time that a manufacturer has substituted materials in an otherwise standard product.

All I'm saying is that nobody here can call the seller a lying bastard without examining the guitar. Why would he claim ebony when that would leave himself open to a claim for the goods being other than described? It makes no real difference to the price.

Anyway, ebony, rosewood or richlite, I'm in love!

If I had the funds I'd be having this guitar.

hobbio;551498" said:
    No, I get that the standard spec shows as rosewood but the seller is saying that it is actually ebony due to Gibson's timber problems at the time. It wouldn't be the first time that a manufacturer has substituted materials in an otherwise standard product.

All I'm saying is that nobody here can call the seller a lying bastard without examining the guitar. Why would he claim ebony when that would leave himself open to a claim for the goods being other than described? It makes no real difference to the price.
    Fair comment. Someone buy it. Worse case rosewood, best case ebony.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3964
    It does look dark like ebony, but I really doubt that they would put ebony on a Midtown while putting Richlite on Custom Shop Les Pauls.