Cheap EQ pedal recommendations

What's Hot
mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
I'm after an eq pedal for a bit of experimenting. As its only to try a few things out I don't want to spend too much but if it sticks it could be used for weekly rehearsals and small gigs so needs to be quite durable. The obvious one is a second hand boss GE but I have seen they can have a bit of a tone suck? Any other recommendations? Anyone any experience with the mxr ones?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    fish n chips

all day long :)

about £20 second hand, you simply won't do better :) (It is plastic mind, but that never caused me an issue)
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I had the MXR 6 band. Lousy hissy thing. Get a modded Boss EQ pedal if you can. Fish n Chips was decent but plasticky.
  • A boss eq won't tone suck, but they hiss a bit. Mod it to fix that, and it's about as good as an eq pedal can be.

Source audio do a programmable one that some folk like, too.
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
    I had some good time with the Source and the Boss (un-modified).

Pontificated on what mods I should do to the Boss, but after using it for a while, I realised it was pretty much bang on as it was. Pretty minimalist, but I don't notice the tone suck. It's simple to use (moreso than the Source) and it's pretty transparent. They're cheap and you could get your money back if you bought used (i.e. by selling it on).

I've been using it in the config below into a Princeton 68. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    I've bought quite a few across the years, and the stand out one has been the EQD Tone Job... Not cheap new, but tend to go cheaper used. Fantastic silent and adds a lovely something before your OD
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited March 2015
    I have an old Boss Bass EQ if you want to make me an offer around £10.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    Joyo 6-band is pretty decent too. It's an MXR clone, I presume. I've done a few gigs with one and it's been great. I haven't noticed any noise issues, but then I use it as a solo boost so it's only on when everyone's playing loud as hell. 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Joyo 6-band is pretty decent too. It's an MXR clone, I presume. I've done a few gigs with one and it's been great. I haven't noticed any noise issues, but then I use it as a solo boost so it's only on when everyone's playing loud as hell. 
    Seconded. I also use one in gigs as a solo boost, and so far so good. Haven't noticed any undue noises coming from it. Nice and solid metal casing too.
  • +1 on the fish n chips. I've also got the source audio one but if cheap, simple and great sounding is what you want, you won't be disappointed with the Danelectro.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Ive got a boss Ge7 for sale on this forum £40. Id do it delivered for £35!. Really good nick.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9686
    The Joyo is good for 6 band, Caline do a copy of the mxr 10 band as well though I've not heard one, just seen them on ebay
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Wazmeister;552643" said:
    I've bought quite a few across the years, and the stand out one has been the EQD Tone Job... Not cheap new, but tend to go cheaper used. Fantastic silent and adds a lovely something before your OD
    Ive been wanting that for a while too.
  • @wazmeister

How powerful is the Tone Job next to a GE7?

I.e the GE7 can drastically alter your sound if u want it to- tons of possibilties on those 6 sliders. The Tonejob sounds like it's more for subtle tweakage. More of a mastering tool device.

Is that fair comment?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    The Tone Job is fair superior in quality, sound quality and has zero noise output...

It's almost like an invisible buffer... It just works wonderfully, and allows you to tweak those darker/too trebly pedals.

But yes, I guess the GE7 has more extremes within it.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

The GE-7 is what I'd go for. I had one, really versatile pedal.

In front as a tone-shaper, in the loop for a solo boost, in front for a solo boost, before or after dirt pedals, all work well. Can get a little noisy with high-gain, but anything can get noisy like that.

One of my favourite sounds from it was the 4 slider on the right set to max, with the remaining 3 set neutral, and volume set to taste, into a slightly crunchy amp, for a nice The Who-esque sound.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    @JAYJO I could well be in for that! Don't hold it especially for me but if it's still around in a couple of weeks I will be on it! Basically what I'm trying to do is use it with my dual terror. I have found that if the tone tone is turned down it smooths out the drive and makes it much less fizzy but obviously makes the tone over dark so I'm looking to see if an eq pedal up front could replace the lost treble and upper mids
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 712
    I got the tone jobe after a bunch of recommendations on here. Super pleased I did! Though I can't offer any comparisons as I only had the boss before and that was years back. From memory I was happy with it at the time :)
  • Anybody use one in the fx loop of their amp? Wouldn't mind trying one out in a dsl to monkey around a bit between the clean/dirty sounds....
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life