JTC Solo Contest

What's Hot
JazzPartyHatsJazzPartyHats Frets: 32
edited March 2015 in Making Music
Thought I'd join in the fun. This is a subtle little number, showing a delicate touch and plenty of restraint errrr....
">

If you enjoyed it then please give it a like following this link

@iseverynamegone Was going to use the RG550 for this but still waiting on the new pickups!!

Cheers gents!!
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That is some fine shredage there mate. It's good to the see the RG550 has gone to where it will appreciated.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers dude. A vid of said guitar in action will be forthcoming as soon its all tarted up :)
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    Liked it, great shredding!
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • Thank you!!
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Wow, nice playing.  Love the tapping part at 27 secs/
  • JazzPartyHatsJazzPartyHats Frets: 32
    edited March 2015
    Thanks bingfeller :) Yep, thats a really useful little pattern. Its basicaly just GMaj7 in position 4 with the left hand and the right hand tapping in position 1 GMaj. So the shape can easily be shifted around the neck and tweaked to work over any chord.
  • Superb solo dude!
    There are some frighteningly amazing entries coming in to the contest and you definitely hold your own amongst them :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2015
    Thanks Matthew.

I've linstened to quite a few entries now and holy crap!! There is some serious talent out there! Definitely worth 10 minutes on the site having a listen to a few entries and giving the ones you like a bit of support ;)

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited March 2015
    Jeez, that was well good - do you play professionally? Please @ me with your reply else I'll forget to check in. 
    Where are the other entries? What is this JTC solo contest??
    edited March 2015
    Ah, I see... Jam Track Central! Still, was this linked on this forum or...? Are there others here who've applied? What's the prize?
    Watched some other vids - some monster entries alongside yours (yours is a monster, too lol). Amazing that there are so many great players but you don't hear any albums like "Surfing" these days!

Just looked on the site - never heard of half the judges but I bet they're all monster players. There are just so many amazing players these days. Technique/talent/musicality clearly isn't enough if you want to make it big!
  • @thomasross20 Thanks!! Please share it with your mates on fb etc I could definitly do with the support!!

Yep, think there's a thread about the comp in this section somewhere, not sure if anyone else here has entered though. If they have, they need to post about it so we can check it out!!

Prizes are pretty cool, winner gets a shot at being a JTC artist and there's lots of gear etc. Ultimately its about exposure and trying to find an audience for what you do. As you mentioned yourself there are loads of great players out there but not that much new music, at least not that's visible to the general public/casual fan and not just the hardcore musos. Labels arent investing in new talent anymore, that business model is dead and gone, you have to do it all yourself, there's good and bad in that but yeah making a living is errrrr.... tricky to say the least.

All the judges are top, top players (Marco Sfogli, Martin Miller and loads more check em out!!) JTC is a great site with a lot of fantastic resources, definitely worth a look if you want some inspiring and challenging lesson packages, check it out!

Mike
    I'll try to remember to check it out in more detail later. I'm busy with a band and.... an album! :D

I don't intend to make money or a living out of it (if the album sells I'll be pleased!) - too difficult - glad I did engineering instead of music at uni! Cool prizes, though - and I must check out the instructors - bet they're sh!t hot. 

Just checking out your soundcloud - very impressive. Do you have an album out already? So you're a "pro" then - you do this full time? Wish I could!
    edited March 2015
    Must listen to the rest later but "Reminiscence" is REALLY good - I'd definitely buy the album! This is like "Surfing with the Alien" good!

What gear do you use and what software/tools do you use for recording? 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28336
    Very nice indeed, you can certainly do the shred thing! (Envy). The only bit I didn't like was the offensive T-shirt.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @thomasross20 Thanks dude, appreciate that and good luck with your band and album!! Stick a link up here I'd love to check it out!!

Pretty much all the material on soundcloud etc is fairly old stuff. I have a load of new material that I'm currently working on. That's one of the reasons why I'm doing all these competitions and trying to raise more of a profile, so I can attract some musicians to work with. I can write, arrange and record all the parts myself but I want to collaborate as that is how (in my opinion) the best music is made! Greater than the sum of its parts and all that. I want to record a proper album, with proper production and a full live band kicking butt that's my goal but I need to find the musicians who want to do it and then figure out how the hell to pay for it!

I'm trying to be a 'pro' lol! Music is my full time job but all the paid work is mostly teaching in schools and private stuff.

Re recording: Current setup is a Mac Pro running Logic 9, audio interface is a Metric Halo uln2. I use a Cornford Carrera for all the heavier rock stuff and a Mesa Lonestar for cleans and more vintage rock/blues tones. I've just started to use the Metric Halo Mio console via Logic for mixing along with the MH plugins and some Waves stuff. Also going to move over to an Axe FX or Kemper for majority of recording work very soon.

@axisus Thanks dude! I thought that T- shirt might be a little divisive ;)
    No probs - credit where it's due - you can clearly play and your ideas are top notch!!

Oh man, I'd love to post more clips but here's one for now (just an excerpt from one track):

I do guitars, and a bassist from here does the bass (and some guitars!) - we both program the drums in (I'd actually like to change those drums but if I don't have the master files will release that one as is... would take forever to redo the guitars to get it sounding the same). I use a Line 6 Toneport UX2 - not the best for distorted guitar but it's what I've got. I just go through a Windows machine and mix everything with Tracktion, using jamstix for drums. It would be amazing to have a live drummers fort the album but that's not gonna happen lol. 

Your gear is definitely better than mine...!

I'm an engineer by day, wanna be rocker by night lol..
    edited March 2015
    Link/audio clip not working for me ;(

Can get pretty decent results with very basic gear these days, its the ideas that count!!

Ahh just figured out its me addons in Firefox blocking it! Will have a fiddle and check it oit tomorow :)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Nice playing although you may want to change your shirt (says a Spurs supporter) ... ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Thanks - would be interested in your take on the track.
    Agreed - it's about the music - good gear helps but not essential.
  • @thomasross20 ; Sounded good!! If you could tidy up some of the drum fills, that would really help everything sound more cohesive :)

Thanks Fretwired!! The shirt stays though lol