What's the guitar effect on this track?

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670

(yes, I admit I like this kind of stuff... :D )
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The Eventide space can do that noise. 

Sounds like some sort of shimmer verb of some type to me
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    The Eventide space can do that noise. 

Sounds like some sort of shimmer verb of some type to me
    Cool - cheers @meltedbuzzbox. Sounds possibly expensive - not sure I could justify buying such a thing just because I like the sound on one particular track... :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    I think @meltedbuzzbox has pretty much nailed it.

A mix of delay, reverb and pitch shift should get you there, so only one or two pedals to get to experiment with then  :D

(or an Eventide and an overdraft !)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think @meltedbuzzbox has pretty much nailed it.

A mix of delay, reverb and pitch shift should get you there, so only one or two pedals to get to experiment with then  :D

(or an Eventide and an overdraft !)
    Cheers @ChrisMusic - it does kind of sound to me like there are multiple pitch-shifted delays happening - I guess I'm wondering if I can set something up in the right ballpark with my Zoom G3 - will have to experiment. :)
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Go for it, I would love to hear how it works.
    I've no idea how flexible the routing on the G3 is, but you may well get close, or even get there !
    Good luck.

Go for it, I would love to hear how it works.
    I've no idea how flexible the routing on the G3 is, but you may well get close, or even get there !
    Good luck.
    I'm not sure re the routing on the G3 either - I suspect there are things it won't be able to do, but maybe I can find something that gets a similar overall effect. Cheers for the good luck - will report back if I manage to achieve anything useful. :)
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    I've not listened to this yet as I'm at work, but I'm pretty sure it's a noise I can make so I'll report back in due course! :D
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2015
    GavHaus said:
    I've not listened to this yet as I'm at work, but I'm pretty sure it's a noise I can make so I'll report back in due course! :D
    Thanks! Any hints or tips would be much appreciated @GavHaus. :)
    The above descriptions make me think Eterna or Boss PS-3, so I'll have a listen at lunch
    GavHaus said:
    The above descriptions make me think Eterna or Boss PS-3, so I'll have a listen at lunch
    Would be interested to know - I could easily be wrong, but I think it may well even be a factory preset, or perhaps with some mild tweaking.
    Before I check; YouTube "boss PS-3 mode 7". It's not that is it?
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    its almost like that but not as stepped
    I might be due to the amount of wash over it. 
    I was thinking more Eterna with something like a supermoon maybe?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Right. To me, it sounds like its a delay with an automated high pass filter on the trails, under a shit tonne of reverb. Does the line 6 Verbzilla do this? - I wouldn't be surprised if that had a preset that got close.
    GavHaus said:
    Before I check; YouTube "boss PS-3 mode 7". It's not that is it?
    I guess it is this kind of thing, but I somehow don't think it is. As @meltedbuzzbox says, there is more of a general wash to the effect on the track. The effect on the track is very pretty sounding - any ideas as to how to get close to that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and thoughts chaps anyhow! :)
    GavHaus said:
    Right. To me, it sounds like its a delay with an automated high pass filter on the trails, under a shit tonne of reverb. Does the line 6 Verbzilla do this? - I wouldn't be surprised if that had a preset that got close.
    Cool - quite complicated I guess in that case. Thanks for listening @GavHaus - I'll see if I can find a verbzilla demo with a similar sound.
    It doesn't sound pitch-shifted to me, more filtered, certainly. Maybe a multi delay too. I think I could do it on my Empress SuperDelay. Think. Though there wouldn't be a filter sweep, unless you can expression pedal that - ive not checked.
    GavHaus said:
    It doesn't sound pitch-shifted to me, more filtered, certainly. Maybe a multi delay too. I think I could do it on my Empress SuperDelay. Think. Though there wouldn't be a filter sweep, unless you can expression pedal that - ive not checked.
    Cheers - actually, I think you may well be spot on re the no pitch shifting. There's a shimmery, high pitch quality to the sound, but I notice the guy is using a 7 string guitar - and I wonder if he's actually tuned it with an extra high string, rather than a low one.
    Got to head out now, but cheers for the help guys - will check back on the thread later though. :)
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Verbzilla does do this sound, although not as studio grade.  Can confirm as I have one.  
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    First of all, tap tempo would make this a little easier. There's a delay, doing eighth note repeats, so for every strum, there are two repeats.  On top of that, you'll need a high mix/delay level, because the repeats are at least as loud as the original signal, and feedback so high that it almost self-oscillates (there's no way to stop this, even if you stop playing the guitar, so they just fade the track out at the end).

I'm sure the sound is mostly in the delay, you can still hear the dry guitar, but barely. I don't think there's modulation in the dry guitar (pre-delay), so I'm guessing it's a modulated Delay with a particle verb? 

the g3 doesnt do particle verb, and I can't think of a substitute... maybe a low-level octave up pitch shift pre-delay, and a hall reverb post-delay.