What's the guitar effect on this track?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Probably what a lot of people have said here (pitch shifters, delay, shimmer verb etc) but my old Roland GR-33 guitar synth could do a similar thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Cheers for the replies and information @bingefeller @Branshen @Kebabkid . :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I can get that or something very similar with my Zoom MS-70CDR. A shimmer verb, HD verb and Mod delay patch I'm using is 90% there already, it could be tweaked to get closer for sure mate.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    It's very Cocteau Twins. I reckon you could get that sound with a Boss DC3, or an 80's digital rack chorus, into a multi tap digital delay, such as one of the modes on the EHX SMMwH, and then possibly into some reverb.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2015
    Could be one of the patches on the old shoegaze favourites that yamaha spx90 and fx500.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Digitech 2120 will do that too

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    The trick to that Cocteausy sound is digital delay and lots of it! It needs to be bang on time, so you either use tap tempo or play off the repeats. Get it high up in the mix. A pedal such as the Boss Dimension choruses (or the Behringer clone, it sounds very nice indeed) or a micro-detuned pitch shifter (+ and - a few cents, each side) will provide the subtle chorusing. Then smooth it out with a quality reverb.
    For such a small box, the Zoom MS-70CDR does an awful lot of those noises!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    Thank you for those thoughts @hobbio @Johnnyseven @sweepy @lasermonkey. Seems like there's more than one route - sadly the Zoom G3, while having a lot of capability, does not include all the effects on the MS70CDR - one that I wish they'd included is the shimmer verb you mention @hobbio.

I guess the track does have a shoegaze/Cocteaus vibe to it, although wiki describes them as "ethereal wave" and "dreampop" - all genres that are closely linked anyway I suppose - I've always liked this kind of music, not sure why I feel faintly embarassed about that... :D
    It does amaze me how many genres and sub-genres there are! Nu-Gaze and Darkwave are a couple more. Maybe there's Venn diagram to show how they intersect? ;-)
    I think it's an American thing, that need to closely define genres and sub-genres. When I were a lad, it were "alternative" and all this were fields!
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    It does amaze me how many genres and sub-genres there are! Nu-Gaze and Darkwave are a couple more. Maybe there's Venn diagram to show how they intersect? ;-)
    I think it's an American thing, that need to closely define genres and sub-genres. When I were a lad, it were "alternative" and all this were fields!
    I guess I can also claim to be an original fan of these types of music, having been into the Cocteaus and 4AD bands since the 80s, and Shoegaze in the early 90s. Anything with a bit of an atmospheric or melancholy kind of vibe really, or a bit gothy, however one might want to categorize it. I do like that there are all the nu-gaze bands and related stuff happening now though. My own guitar playing is nothing like this stuff - I play bebop or 50s/60s type jazz mainly - probably too old to join a shoegaze band now, missed my chance... :D
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You're never too old!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    You're never too old!
    Thank you @Johnnyseven :D
    Hey, I've just turned 49 and atmospheric, melancholy music is pretty much all I can do on guitar!
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hey, I've just turned 49 and atmospheric, melancholy music is pretty much all I can do on guitar!
    The big 5-0 this year for me... :(  Anyone in Grimsby want to form a shoegaze/goth band, with a bit of jazz thrown in? :D
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    chorus comp flange delay and panned delay usually in that order , sometimes you can pick up a digitech 2112 quite cheaply

well worth checking one out although the first one I bought cost £80 with the foot controller ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    sweepy said:
    chorus comp flange delay and panned delay usually in that order , sometimes you can pick up a digitech 2112 quite cheaply

well worth checking one out although the first one I bought cost £80 with the foot controller ;)
    Cheers @sweepy - I may play around with that combination on the old Zoom G3 also, but also appreciate the tip re the Digitech. :)
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Some good input so far but not quite there.

To really nail that tone you need to catch snowflakes in December whilst listening to Siamese Dream within 24 hours of a traumatic event (a lost loved one or longterm break up will do). Take the now melted snow flakes and mix it in a pint of an aspiring middle class yuppies craft beer. Add 2 desert spoons of cocaine and knock it back. Give it 5-10 mins, pick up your guitar and go for it.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lew said:
    Some good input so far but not quite there.

To really nail that tone you need to catch snowflakes in December whilst listening to Siamese Dream within 24 hours of a traumatic event (a lost loved one or longterm break up will do). Take the now melted snow flakes and mix it in a pint of an aspiring middle class yuppies craft beer. Add 2 desert spoons of cocaine and knock it back. Give it 5-10 mins, pick up your guitar and go for it.
    Cheers, I'll give that a go and let you know how I get on... :D