Distortions that do that Overdrive Thang (MXR Dist+)

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9710

So my G3 is causing me some mischief of late, as it keeps offering me pedal sounds I like and then want to replicate with real world pedals.

I've had some joy lately with the Boost running into the MXR Distortion Plus models. The Distortion gain I think is set fairly low, tone (which isn't on the proper one anyway) set right down the middle.

The sound I'm using it for is one I've been trying to nail for ages - I am a huge Jack White fan, and the only other way I've managed to get the White Stripes type tone (not the fuzz bit, the main rhythm tone) is by absolutely cranking an amp and boosting it to buggery. Which is very loud for any amp. I'd always targetted specifically overdrives to try and get the effect, and whilst it gets a bit of the way, it's always lacking something in the sheer chunk and weight of the sound. Enter the Dist+ model, and I realise it's actually a bit of distortion rather than osimply overdrive that I need

I think that pedal is often classed as more overdrivey than distortion-y so I presume that's why it works. But is this something specific to that pedal (or the DOD 250 which I understadn is quite similar?) or do all/most distortions have that ability?

Lastly, in the spirit of being a cheapskate, do any of the budget manufacturers make one like that? I don't think joyo or MOoer do, but Caline do a few distortions? Digitech Hot Head?

This is an example of the noise I'd like to be making:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhv91kvcp_I

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I are is got a Distortion+.

I love it for tightening up a MArshall, or as a lead boost.

It's not so good as a "stand-alone" dirt, or alternative to a dirt channel on an amp. IMO.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    rat?

Distortions have a sharper cut on the dirt, whereas OD's are much smoother.

If you can try comparing a Boss DS-1 (distortion) and SD-1 (Overdrive) the difference should be quite apparent. OD's tend to have a nicer, clearer overall sound, whereas distortions tend to have a quite "nasty" (for want of a better word) sound.

The lines of OD and Distortion aren't always so clear though, as some drives are sold as distortions and vice versa.

If the Dist+ model is along the sounds of what you want, then a real Dist+, Distortion3 or Custom Badass will be in the ball-park sound wise. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9710

I shall perhaps try and do a sample recording of the sound I'm after later

I don't know what the technical words are, but it does sound to me like as if I'd boosted and cranked my amp but at much lower volumes, ie at number 1 on the volume knob of my Pro Junior, and very much like the Youtube video I posted above. I've had both a You Dirty Rat (germanium) and a Mooer Rat clone and neither of them seemed to do that kind of thing, seemed more like an alternative to fuzz than that sound in particular. I also had a Boss DS-1 which I recalled seem to "narrow" the tone somehow with the distortion but was perfect for the stuff I needed it for at the time.

I suppose it's getting to that weird wishy washy woolly stage of it being a "clean distortion" which sounds like a contradiction, but I definite hear a difference there between what the MXR does and what the Boss did (and does on the Zoom model as well). It definitely changes the shape of the sound.

I see Mike you've kind of hinted at one of my other questions might have been, was whether the other MXR's had a similar sound and effect to them. Interesting, I may have to give them a blast.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    on the break down it sounds fuzz-esque. I think the RAT is a good shout

I think that plastic guitar he uses probably contributes a bit to the "tone"
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    If you're referring to the splattery, compressed, 'amp-about-to-explode-ness' quality of the drive, I may have a cheap suggestion - Danelectro FAB Overdrive. I have one of these tucked away in a drawer for exactly those occasions when I need a bit of ragged, lo-fi, 'everything turned up too loud' kind of vibe.

It's not a particularly great sound on its own but it works well boosting another, more sophisticated sounding drive. It has loads of level available as a boost and just has 'something' about it that makes me keep it. I don't use it much these days but it's there if I need a bit of that vibe.

Best of all, they're dirt cheap.

Here's a quick recording I did a few years ago which has the FAB running as a boost/overdrive into an Award-Session JD-10 pre-amp (set at just breaking up) which, I think, illustrates the FAB's splattery, gnarly qualities......
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/rlhabawj8bpgree/Horse%20Stance.mp3

I suppose it's getting to that weird wishy washy woolly stage of it being a "clean distortion" which sounds like a contradiction, but I definite hear a difference there between what the MXR does and what the Boss did (and does on the Zoom model as well). It definitely changes the shape of the sound.

I see Mike you've kind of hinted at one of my other questions might have been, was whether the other MXR's had a similar sound and effect to them. Interesting, I may have to give them a blast.

MXR's do have an "MXR voice", if that makes sense, they all have similar characteristics, yet are all different (a least to my ear).

If you want a "clean distortion" then the Ibanez Jet driver does that very well.

(I'm at work and can't see the video for any idea of what you want)

See I've never ever managed to get a Rat to do this, it's very good at the many things it does do, but I must not have ever set it right to get this kind of sound.

That Dano one does sound way better than it ought to, however it's definitely at the fuzzier end for me which is not what I'm after as much (I think)

Nobody seems to do MXR inspired distortions, I was sort of hoping for a Joyo or Caline or whatever to mess about with.

I think that plastic guitar he uses probably contributes a bit to the "tone"

A little maybe but I always think that was more an image thing like with the Silvertone amps - he sounds the same with a Tele or a Gretsch through a Fender. It's more about the attack in the technique and basically having your amp about to explode I'd say

Which is what I'm trying to approximate :)

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

You should check out the EC Pedals Rat clone, Murinae, as it has a lot of internal switching options and expands upon the Rat sound a good bit.

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    The Distortion+ is misleading as it's not a distortion at all, it's a slightly fuzzy overdrive. IMO if you like that tone i'd get yourself an MXR script reissue or a clone from someone else, the current run sound very different. I had a script reissue and IMO you won't get that sound from a Rat - it's too nasty. You could try a Way Huge Red Llama or clone though, which has a similar fuzzy overdrive sound.

One problem with the Dist+ is that the sound is affected by both knobs, so it's almost like you need a second volume pedal to adjust the output volume.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Expensive, but JHS just released the Twin Twelve which is made to model that sound
    Stop crying, start buying
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    Also you prob already know but White has used a big muff for years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58

If it's that MXR sound you fancy, why not get an MXR?  Just how cheap do you need it to be? lol  I've seen Classic Distortions and Prime Distortions go for less than $50 quid- new.  There seems to always be quite a lot of MXR pedals on the used market, as well.

I have one of the former, and I'll agree with the others: A) it's much more of an OD than a true distortion. and B) Not a good replacement for a dirty amp channel.   With that said, it sounds like it would do what you want- into an already dirty channel, it just kills!

One caviat, though, I do not have a Fully valve amp- I own a modeler, and a hybrid.  Thus, I tend to go for dirt pedals with a voice of their own, as boosting the amp to drive more is a non starter.  Fender's modelling does seem to react to pedal dirt in a very natural way, though.  Ymmv.

I also own a '78 Distortion, which I love.  It was a bit more dear than the others, but it's NOT an expensive pedal.  I think they were going for that "plexi-in-a-box" sound with it.  There is an added crunch switch that adds more amp-like responsiveness ( for want of a better term...)  Imo, it really does act like a mini pre amp.  You can make a clean amp compress, chime, and growl like you cranked it to 12, and a dirty amp roar and howl like a mad beast.

Moss said:
    Expensive, but JHS just released the Twin Twelve which is made to model that sound

Wow, just googled it quickly...that has huge potential! GAS calling

JD50 said:
    Also you prob already know but White has used a big muff for years.

Yes indeed but not as "always on", it's for solos and certain riffs/rhythm breaks. I have muffy fuzz (and a very cool looking Woolly Mammoth clone incoming) but it's the non-muff ryhthm sound I'm after
  • Mxr dist 3 is pretty good for branching the od/dist barrier.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I've got an old Distortion+ that's very good for playing chords, very clear and defined but not as good as a Way Huge Fat Sandwich which is clear and very dynamic and it can easily do the sound in that clip.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    depends on the pedal. the rat's another one that does it (has been mentioned).
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    Just watched the clip, you could definitely get that sound with a Red Llama.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    edited March 2015
    Front runners so far are either the mxr distortion plus or III still, or the Twin Twelve. Admittedly I've only listened on YouTube but the Way Huge ones, both the day sandwich and the red llama, aren't doing anything for me I'm afraid. I'm not sure if this is an accurate way to describe what I mean but they sound a bit Marshally which I don't like. Thanks all for the inputs though
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    Be sure to check out the Dod 250, supposedly very similar to the D+