Distortions that do that Overdrive Thang (MXR Dist+)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    The Red Llama is not Marshally at all in my experience - more vintage Fender, think Neil Young, overdrive bordering on fuzz.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    The Fat Sandwich is definitely Marshally though.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I don't know that I'd call the Fat Sandwich Marshally. It can be but it's so tweakable you can make it sound pretty much like anything you want.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5136
    The D+ and DOD 250 are supposed to be very similar in terms of their circuit design, and are also very simple. If you've ever fancied dabbling in a bit of DIY a D+/250 kit might be a good place to start. BYOC do a kit that allows you to make either one which will set you back less than £50.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9710
    edited March 2015

I'm not sure is Marshally is the right word, it's hard to define. When I hear the Way Huge ones (after I've felt strangely repulsed by most of their names, which is odd), I kind of hear a more...what's the word...kind of "fuller" sound, too beefy rather than scratchy snarly that I want. Neither of them sounded as nice to me on Youtube as the G3 Dist+ mode does through my Pro Junior, the demos seemed to be using other Fendery amps so I would have thought that (within the usual bounds of reason when listening to youtube quality sound) they would do the same again to my PJ. Might it be EQ? Bass and mid boosted more than high mid and treble? I 'unno

The Dist+ seems to do it, that Twin Twelve pedal does it. It's kind of the same tone eq wise as playing normally, just as if the amp was cranked but set to the lower volume.

It's the same reason I don't like stuff like the Suhr Riot, OCD, or others like that. It's not the sound I want I don't think

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I picked up one of these http://www.t-rex-effects.com/dual-drive/ recently.  It's not bad, hairy crunch on one side and drive/distortion on the other.  Responds very nicely to volume and tone controls too.  Worth a look IMHO.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5136
    To my ears, the White Stripes clip at the top sounds like a Big Muff- it's definitely on from the breakdown around 1 minute in. Having googled some pics of Jack's pedalboard it looks like he runs the Muff with all the knobs set to around 1 o'clock, which I reckon would get you in the ballpark for the sound you hear. The Twin Twelve sounds like a good bet for the other sounds.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

edited March 2015

Yes I know the big muff is in there but that's for that specific sound, in this case the slower bit's riff/rhythm and then the octaved up solo. But the standard rhythm tone is definitely not big muff, it's that sound I'm after. I do have a muff capable fuzz already

The Twin Twelveis looking exceptionally good I have to say. I don't normally spend that much on pedals (it's only marginally less than I paid for my Pro Junior!!) but it seems to be pretty perfect for this sound

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    edited March 2015 tFB Trader
    I'm a big Dist+ fan. The reissues are much more crunchy and even veer into 80s RAWK territory. Which is kind of fun, but go for an original or clone and they also make wonderful light drive effects.

Oddly, if you use a Klon(e) as a distortion with the gain turned-up (lots of people don't) it does have a bit of a Dist+ feel to it.
    edited March 2015

Yeah it seems quite the general consensus about getting an original or clone thereof, I'd guess the Zoom one is modelled on that original. If I don't splash out on the Twin Twelve I will keep my eyes open for one of those I think, I've not seen any clones

Re the Klone thing, yes indeed I did find that when I had a Soul Food, at that time I had a BRUTAL bridge pup in my Tele, that into my Marshall preamp with the gain up sounded excellent and raucous. Quite the contrast to the usually more refined tones people use the clone for (as a boost rather than gainy). Also, a little unrelatedly, just seen your Muff fuzzes in the classifieds, saw these the other week and missed one by seconds on eBay, they look tasty

The D+ and DOD 250 are supposed to be very similar in terms of their circuit design, and are also very simple. If you've ever fancied dabbling in a bit of DIY a D+/250 kit might be a good place to start. BYOC do a kit that allows you to make either one which will set you back less than £50.
    Would love to but sadly don't have the time to source all the kit I'd need for it, and to learn to solder so that I don't ruin it etc etc. Maybe one day :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    The old original Distortion+ do show up on ebay fairly regularly, some people ask silly prices for them but you should be able to get one for around £60. They really are a lot nicer than the new ones.
  • jackiojackio Frets: 132
    Isn't hat tone muff into cranked fender, guitar volume rolled down a bit?
    *that
    The fuzz bit is big muff yes, but not the overdrive bit no
    Ok. Then not sure. Wish I could see what he stomps on too, great sound.
    He uses (or used at that time) MXR Microamp boosting a cranked amp, either the old Silvertone (the pedal mentioned earlier in the thread was modelled on that amp) or a Fender. What I'm after is a similar ish sound at home where I'm not able to crank a 60watt valve amp haha which is where the MXR Distortion idea came from as that seemed to approximate it into my Fender.