G5 vs G3(x?) vs ME-80

What's Hot
d8md8m Frets: 2434
Potentially in the market for an all in one pedal board solution

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    You can get a G9.2tt second hand under £100 easily enough. 

That literally has everything and the kitchen sink
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I have a GT 6 Brilliant Pedal,also up in the classfieds  ;)
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    The G3 x is quite a nice unit.  I'd like another 20 seconds on the looper, but that's being picky.

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I'm constrained by Amazon vouchers to fund the purchase :)

Bogwhoppit;554028" said:
    The G3 x is quite a nice unit.  I'd like another 20 seconds on the looper, but that's being picky.
    How's the expression pedal on the G3 I haven't seen one in person but the pics make it look flimsy.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

I used to have a Boss ME-80 and I currently own a Zoom MS100-BT. 

FWIW I found the modelling on the Zoom unit to sound better and more natural than the Boss.  I know this isn't the same Zoom unit you're after but I think that the modelling on the G3 and G5 units would sound better than the Boss ME-80. 

The Boss ME-80 does sound good, but I would choose Zoom over Boss personally. 

bingefeller;554100" said:

FWIW I found the modelling on the Zoom unit to sound better and more natural than the Boss.  I know this isn't the same Zoom unit you're after but I think that the modelling on the G3 and G5 units would sound better than the Boss ME-80. 

Just checked out the Ms-100.

Pretty neat looking for a single stomp!

How you finding it?

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    d8m said:
    bingefeller;554100" said:

Just checked out the Ms-100.

Pretty neat looking for a single stomp!

How you finding it?

it's really good and there are loads of options for the way you can have the effects chain (way more than the Boss ME-80).  For example you can have two delays running at the same time.  You can also change cabinets and turn off cabinets and stuff like that.

Some of the effects use a lot of memory and you will get a "DSP full" message sometimes (some of the reverbs and delays cause this) but it's not an issue most times.  if you have an ipad or iphone there is a zoom stomp store where you can buy and get some free stomp boxes. 

It looks nice and compact but the G3 is only an extra 20 pounds so it's a bit of a no brainer!

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997

I went from G3 to G3X

both great

expression pedal makes some difference but I don't use it to its full potential ... laziness rather than anything else

d8m said:
    Bogwhoppit;554028" said:
    How's the expression pedal on the G3 I haven't seen one in person but the pics make it look flimsy.
    Solid, I can stand on it without any concerns.

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    The additional foot pedal on the G3X can be used as a volume pedal for swells or normal usage, foot pedal control for vibe, control for gain of a dirt pedal, wah (not sure if practical) and any other assignable parameter. the possibilities are endless. but I dont know if you would use them.

If you get the G3, it wont be possible to add an external expression pedal as well as tap tempo. it's down to you whether you need both at the same time. 
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    d8m said:
    Bogwhoppit;554028" said:
    Pretty horrible, in my experience - travel is very short!  I swapped from the G3X to the G3 with external pedal to save some board space, as there was no point having the onboard pedal if I wasn't using it.

Feels solid enough though, I'll give it that.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    To be honest I'm not really a Wah user(no coordinated enough!) so if I did go for the G3 id stick to the standard one.

What about this beast:

Basically what I am after is something can run in front of my Blackstar and use it on the rare occasions I would like an effect on my sound.

Most of the time I just play the amp on its dirty and clean channels.

As long as the G3 isn't going to make my thru sound sound awful then it looks like a winner!

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    G3 is much more versatile than the Digitech RP stuff. The RP can only have one instance of a type of effect on. So no dual delays, or multiple drives. 

I used to use an RP255, G3 is alot better IMHO.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Go for the G3
    Branshen said:
    The additional foot pedal on the G3X can be used as a volume pedal for swells or normal usage, foot pedal control for vibe, control for gain of a dirt pedal, wah (not sure if practical) and any other assignable parameter. the possibilities are endless. but I dont know if you would use them.

I tend to use it on the vibe to control the speed. It has many possible use's if you're into experimental ambient stuff, all of which are easily assignable.

One gripe I do have is the output mode. If you use direct out it sounds very harsh, instead I use the 'combo front end setting' when going direct into the desk / PA to take the fizz out.

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    d8m said:
    To be honest I'm not really a Wah user(no coordinated enough!) so if I did go for the G3 id stick to the standard one.

What about this beast:

Basically what I am after is something can run in front of my Blackstar and use it on the rare occasions I would like an effect on my sound.

Most of the time I just play the amp on its dirty and clean channels.

As long as the G3 isn't going to make my thru sound sound awful then it looks like a winner!

I've got the RP500, the G3, an MS50 and an MS70CDR.....they each have their strengths. The Digitech has an auxillary in which makes it very handy for playing along to backing tracks and the built in expression pedal is convenient. It is easy to adjust on the fly and sounds pretty good. The models all sound pretty good - I've gigged with it straight to the PA with good results. The single- stomp sized zooms are brilliant - I run 2 on my board - the MS50 sits in the loop of an EHX Superego and the MS70-CDR handles most of my delay. reverb and modulation needs. They sound great. The G3 is much more compact than the RP500 and I'm still learning it as it is a fairly new addition but I like the looper function and built in drums - should make a good practise tool although I need to find the right headphones for it 'cos so far, I don't like the sound of it through the headphones I have.

If you're looking for a pedalboard solution, I'd say either the G3 or RP500 as they give you a bit more flexibility to turn individual effects on or off with the extra footswitches. I don't think you could go wrong with either. If you want access to 2 delays or 2 drives in one patch, it has to be the G3 'cos the RP500 can't do that.

G3 incoming!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom