Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Want a challenge? Name this amp!

What's Hot

Comments

• ;)

I approve of you shooting for additional accuracy. Like it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Mark, I still don't get why you removed the sample.
    It wasn't a bad tone (imho, they doesn't exist in isolation) just one that was hard to identify the provenance of.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Drew_fx;56701" said:
    I don't think the comments were negative, they just said it sounded like a modelling amp.

8-}
    Exactly that. We had no idea if it was a Mesa Boogie or a Smokie.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ddlooping said:
    It wasn't a bad tone (imho, they doesn't exist in isolation) just one that was hard to identify the provenance of.
    I'd say that the merit of tones are subject to context, and in the right mix this could work... but the key thing is that it wasn't in a mix - I'd put it out there to stand on its own and the general concensus seemed to indicate it wasn't good enough, so I removed it.
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    ddlooping said:
    I'd say that the merit of tones are subject to context, and in the right mix this could work... but the key thing is that it wasn't in a mix - I'd put it out there to stand on its own and the general concensus seemed to indicate it wasn't good enough, so I removed it.
    Sorry Mark, I don't mean to be argumentative but I still don't get it.
    Good enough for what?
  • To be honest, the sound was pretty bad to my ears as a generic tone, but the so is Stairway to heaven solo tone, it's all subjective. But last thing I was thinking of was a champ, how did you get it to sound so much like a cheap tranny amp ? None of my champs have ever sounded so shrill.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ddlooping said:
    ddlooping said:
    Good enough for what?
    Good enough to stand on its own.
    To be honest, the sound was pretty bad to my ears as a generic tone, but the so is Stairway to heaven solo tone, it's all subjective. But last thing I was thinking of was a champ, how did you get it to sound so much like a cheap tranny amp ? None of my champs have ever sounded so shrill.
    And I think this sort of response best answers your question as to why I didn't leave it up. I'm just not willing to field these sorts of responses.
  • markjwgrahammarkjwgraham Frets: 4
    edited October 2013
    DELETED DUE TO DUPLICATE POST
  • markjwgrahammarkjwgraham Frets: 4
    edited October 2013
    DELETED DUE TO DUPLICATE POST
  • I'm so glad this all turned out well.

Our own personal opinions are pretty unimportant - if you like it, you like it. Also, as has been mentioned, in a mix it might make more sense. I don't think it was a good recording because of the dryness and harshness of the drive itself.

That said, that's a sound that, if it was available in a pedal, people would buy it. A fair few Beatles songs were recorded by over driving the input if the desk and that's a drive sound that is hard to emulate on an amp because theyre inherently bassier and more full sounding.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    edited October 2013

• ddlooping said:
    Good enough for what?
    Good enough for this http://www.singlechannelamp.com/ I imagine.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I'm so glad this all turned out well.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkey;57014" said:
    ddlooping said:

Good enough for what?

Good enough for this http://www.singlechannelamp.com/ I imagine.
    3 part lesson... Hmm...

Pick/finger attack

Ride the volume knob

Turn the amp up to adjust for drive level and use an attenuator?

I need a multi channel. You can't get from crystal clean to bone crushing gain on a volume knob sadly. Luckily, there are great affordable multi channel amps, like the 50 watt jet city of the peavey 6505+ combo, which is insanely good once you've changed the speaker.

Sadly, I only have a single channel ac30 type mini amp that I really should get rid of!
  • I need a multi channel. You can't get from crystal clean to bone crushing gain on a volume knob sadly. Luckily, there are great affordable multi channel amps, like the 50 watt jet city of the peavey 6505+ combo, which is insanely good once you've changed the speaker.

Sadly, I only have a single channel ac30 type mini amp that I really should get rid of!
    Then maybe you should sign up!
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited October 2013

Mark, with regard to the "tone of the posts", I really don't think anyone is being horrid or negative here. :)

You have asked for comments/opinions and the responses have been pretty uniform, possibly veering toward something you weren't expecting, or didn't like hearing.

As was said somewhere here, if it works for you and you like it, that's all that matters.:)

I also think the context of the sound is really important and here's something that featured on a classic. Is it a good sound or a bad sound? That's up for debate, but it appears it was the right sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF8cs3wxhLA

On a different note, you have some nice gear and I liked your U2 sounds

• Kebabkid said:

Mark, with regard to the "tone of the posts", I really don't think anyone is being horrid or negative here. :)

You have asked for comments/opinions and the responses have been pretty uniform, possibly veering toward something you weren't expecting, or didn't like hearing.

As was said somewhere here, if it works for you and you like it, that's all that matters.:)

I also think the context of the sound is really important and here's something that featured on a classic. Is it a good sound or a bad sound? That's up for debate, but it appears it was the right sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF8cs3wxhLA

On a different note, you have some nice gear and I liked your U2 sounds

Thanks for the comments. Context aside, and tonal preference aside, I do want people to sign up to singlechannelamp.com and get involved once the site is ready to go. I don't think it's unreasonable to remove something I think is going to stop people doing that. I've done at least a few videos, and this is the first clip that's resulted in a thread like this. While the tone of the posts from most isn't horribly negative, this is not the sort of vibe I want to be associated with me or what I'm trying to put together.

For example, posters like theprettydamned and randomhandclaps are already posting sarcastic and scoffing responses on the basis of one clip - just one - and this thread, so it's not worth keeping it. The disappointing thing is that their responses are indicative of the sort of guitarists I'm actually wanting to introduce to different ways of doing things. I don't think it's unreasonable to be disappointed that this sort of response to threads will stop people signing up to something I think I can help them with.

I don't particularly want to labour this point, as I've explained why I've removed it, and I don't disagree with the point of context mattering - but that isn't the point in this instance.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    Removing the clip renders the thread rather pointless IMO. 
  • That's incorrect.  Posters aren't "posting sarcastic and scoffing responses" as a result of that clip, they are posting them as a result of your conceited and diva-like response that people were being 'negative' by giving you an honest guess.

The arrogance of such statements like -

"I do pride myself on getting great tone from amps - as I believe is evidenced on my youtube channel and clips there"

"their responses are indicative of the sort of guitarists I'm actually wanting to introduce to different ways of doing things"

"response to threads will stop people signing up to something I think I can help them with."

- shows a shocking lack of understanding the individuality of tone.

" I don't think it's unreasonable to remove something I think is going to stop people doing that. I've done at least a few videos, and this is the first clip that's resulted in a thread like this.".  I took the time to watch your videos.  I don't see hundreds of positive responses, yet the guys on this forum took the time to respond and you want to castigate them for their ignorance on tone?

"While the tone of the posts from most isn't horribly negative, this is not the sort of vibe I want to be associated with me or what I'm trying to put together.".  Which echoes my previous post that you were peacocking in an attempt to promote your own uniquely brilliant understand of tone to the sheltered masses or spend hours on here discussing such thing

As a publicity stunt you obviously realised it was a fail, but frankly your the arrogance and manner of you response is far more damaging.

"The disappointing thing is that their responses are indicative of the sort of guitarists I'm actually wanting to introduce to different ways of doing things." - That is so laughably deluded it's actually bordering on scary.  Believe me, their are some guys on here with serious experience who commented yet you are calling them out on the poor understanding of your genius?!  Get a grip.

• Removing the clip renders the thread rather pointless IMO. 
    The moment someone guessed anything other than God's own amp it became pointless IMO.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom