Young Musicians - Refreshing!

What's Hot
KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
edited March 2015 in Making Music
I've just got back from a theatre gig where the advanced class at my son's Rock School Club performed "Dark Side of the Moon" in its entirety. The average age of the musicians was 15 and it was stunning!! The musicianship and vocals, especially the young lady singing "The Great Gig in the Sky", were fabulous and I don't think my generation (51) would've been able to pull this off at their age. Last year they put on "Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Hearts"

The guitarists had all the sounds and were spot on with the solos and as for the drummers. Corr!!!! They even had the samples for all the weird noises and talking (they did that themselves in the studio) and had an impressive light show to boot. These guys could give a Floyd tribute band a run for their money.

What can we put it down to? Are they helped by the fact that they have access to good playing and sounding gear and it's cheaper today and more readily available? That you can learn how to play most songs on YT? That teachers are more in-tune with students today and can connect more?

The work the teachers do with this Saturday club is superb and inspires the children and gives them confidence in both playing and performing and it's all about the music, not just wanting to be a wannabe.

Very inspiring, even for an old fart like me.

EDIT:Yes, and all credit to the kids for putting in the graft.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kinkin Frets: 1015

That's brilliant,

there are certainly some advantages available to kids nowadays, good quality budget guitars and amps , a lot of teaching resources for free.

But when it comes down to it you've still got to put the hours in practicing your instrument, all credit to them and their teachers.

I was hoping to come up with a compelling reason why I wasn't performing the whole of dark side of the moon at fifteen ( or at 48 even ) it's a shame I can't think of one :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom