Operating PA speakers with the covers on. Is it ok?

What's Hot
siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
I've just bought a pair of RCF 310a speakers and the RCF padded covers to go with them.  The covers have various velcro openings over the mounting hole, carrying handle, control and cable panel together with a large three sided zipped opening which allows the front to be folded away from the business end of the speaker.  This all gives the impression that the cover was designed to allow the speaker to be operated with the cover in situ. 

As a PA newbie/dunce, I was wondering if it's ok to operate a speaker with the cover on?  There are no instructions with the covers and there's nothing I can find on the internet web or in the speaker manual about this.  It would be handy if it was ok as the cover is a very snug fit and I suspect taking it off/putting it on at a venue is going to be a bit of a faff.
“He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    In lieu of doing some actual work - the description of these covers says 'once at the venue the cover simply lifts off' so it doesn't sound like they are designed to be used with covers on. On the other hand having seen what crap PA speakers sometimes have to endure I can't see that the covers would do any harm.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398

No, don't use them with the covers on they need ventilation to remain in safe operating tempatures 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Ah ok thanks.  Whether they would get too hot was what I was worried about. 
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    I always used my yamaha ones with the covers on with all the zipped compartments open. On mine the only parts that were covered were where there was plastic anyways, all the vents / heat sink parts were all open and getting air.
    These are the same.  There's what looks like a finned heatsink on the back and this has a zipped panel over it. 
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    Yeah I used them like that with no issues, but my cases got a bit wrecked so I used to just take them off anyways, I think they look better that way!
    edited March 2015
    Here's a pic of the heatsink bit with it's zipped panel open

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h411/bigslipper/5098b8a9-dc91-4397-aaee-ea06e9e916ff.jpg
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    edited March 2015

Would you play your amp if it was wrapped in a cover?

Having said that, that open panel on the rear seems to fully expose the heat sink fins so it should be OK. If it overheats, it should shut down.

(Edited in light of @jpfamps quote of my original comment below.)

No I wouldn't but this is the pukka RCF cover for this speaker and I can't see why they would put all these opening panels on it otherwise. 

No worries if it's a bad idea to leave them on then I'll take them off ;)

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Beexter said:

. If it overheats, it'll shut down.

I wouldn't rely on this........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    You could try emailing RCF?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3117
    edited March 2015
    As above if its active take the covers off if its passive leave them on if you must. From an aesthetic view why would you leave a cover on? they look far better without; unless of course your outside and its raining in which case you've go other things to worry about too
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk

From an aesthetic view why would you leave a cover on?
    I need something to distract attention from my terrible singing and inability to play guitar.

Thanks for the advice folks.  I will take the covers off  :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    jpfamps said:
    Beexter said:

. If it overheats, it'll shut down.

I wouldn't rely on this........
    Seconded.

Thermal protection is usually a last-ditch attempt to try to avert damage just before it actually happens. It's not very precise and it doesn't always work, since in order to be really effective it has to be very conservative, and manufacturers don't like to do that since it means making the equipment quite over-spec and therefore more costly to make.

Treat thermal protection as like the seat belt in a car. It may well save you if you crash, but it's generally better to try and avoid crashing...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    With the covers on, won't they sound a bit muffled?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself