Jookyfying my Steinberger

What's Hot
I have 2 Steinberger GR-4s, both black.. DULL!
One of them has been through a lot w/ previous owner, including having its pickups changed from HSS passives to HSH actives, lots of bumps, paint chipped off, etc. With the all black hardware and paint, it looks very boring like this:
So after being marvelled by Jooky's rusty creations I decided to do my own under His Rustiness' guidance. 
I decided I wanted to get some actual green patina on the guitar over a metallic finish. I like green and the randomness of actual rusting fits with my music and what I like to see on instruments. I bought these to do the job:
  • Metal Effects - Reactive - Bronze - 177ml
  • Metal Effects - Ageing Solution Green Patina - 118ml
Together it was about £15 shipped so quite cheap and after the job I still have enough for another 3, 4 guitars easily.
I disassembled everything on the guitar except the pickups. I thought it'd be cool to do the active pickup covers as well instead of having those black squares somewhat lost in the middle. I then sanded the front of the guitar (the plan was to keep the back black) so it'd take the paint better, but I still left the black as a base coat. Following that I used a sponge (the kind you do the dishes with) to apply a liberal coat of bronze all over the front and sides of the guitar. Waited for it to dry and then applied another coat of bronze. While this was drying I sprayed a lot of ageing solution all over the front of the guitar and then let it do its magic. This is how it looked after it dried:
That's real rust by the way! Finally, once it was dry I painted the sides of the guitar so they wouldn't be as green as the top.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    edited March 2015
    The following day while applying the first coat of varnish, the brush I used was wiping all the delicious rust away! So I had to paint bronze over the bits where it wiped off and apply more ageing solution. I then started using a really soft fluffy roller to apply the varnish. Even by the 3rd coat some patina was still being wiped away. This allowed me to also be creative and kind of pool the patina in some areas for effect (see pics).
    After about 6 coats of varnish this is how it looks and then next to the other steinie. Quite pleased with it! Couldn't have done it without Jooky.
    imageimageimageimage
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Ah bud that looks brilliant, steampunk stein!
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Awesome work mate.