Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Real Ale Thread

What's Hot
Seeing as it's a couple of months since I've had chance to visit any of my favourite local hostelries or visit any further afield as I am partial to doing I thought I'd start a thread to torture myself with talk of delicious (or otherwise) ale.

Living as I do in Derby I consider myself thoroughly spoiled when it comes to good beer and good pubs to drink it in. 

Have had a craving for a pint (or two) of Magic Rock - High Wire for a couple of days now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I drink wine.
    Beer is for hippies and EDL supporters.
  • Lager is for EDL supporters.

I'm talking about artisan produced, often locally brewed, premium, traditional ale, not mass produced commercial rubbish.

• I know I was lured in to that far too easily, I put it down to a lack of beer.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    You can get some good lagers.
    My V key is broken
  • holnrew said:
    You can get some good lagers.
    Agreed. Good beer is good beer. Not a huge fan of lager myself.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Funny how Lager is now going through exactly the same process as Ales and Bitters did a few years ago of going from generic mass manufactured crap to craft brewed "Artisan" drinks.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • Same with cider. Love a decent cider.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Being a Shropshire lad I'm quite partial to a point or 6 of Shropshire Lad (woods). Also much love for anything from the 3 Tuns Brewery  ... http://www.threetunsbrewery.co.uk/  which like every other brewery in Britain is the oldest brewery in Britain :D

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

•  which like every other brewery in Britain is the oldest brewery in Britain :D
    Indeed.  ;)

Several very good small breweries within Derby itself, Derventio, Dancing Duck, Brunswick, Derby Brewing Co.  

The agony of choice...

• If you go up the road to Sheffield you will also be spoiled for choices of Real Ale. The Fat Cat Pub especially.

Have a look out for Bradfield Brewery, Kelham Island Brewery, Abbeydale Brewery amongst others.

You're not that far away being in Derby, so I suppose you may see bottles of this stuff in Ale Shops near yourself.

:D
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • If you go up the road to Sheffield you will also be spoiled for choices of Real Ale. The Fat Cat Pub especially.

Have a look out for Bradfield Brewery, Kelham Island Brewery, Abbeydale Brewery amongst others.

You're not that far away being in Derby, so I suppose you may see bottles of this stuff in Ale Shops near yourself.

Sheffield is my second favourite hunting ground after Derby, am pacing myself though, have only been to the Sheffield Tap, Old Queens Head and the Rutland Arms so far but The Fat Cat is on my to-do list for sure as soon as I can persuade someone to go with me.

Sheffield is my second favourite hunting ground after Derby, am pacing myself though, have only been to the Sheffield Tap, Old Queens Head and the Rutland Arms so far but The Fat Cat is on my to-do list for sure as soon as I can persuade someone to go with me.

Just pop up to Sheffield and stick a Pink Carnation in your Lapel and carry an Airport Greeting sign and I'll buy you a pint :-D
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • May I suggest Huddersfield as a good hunting ground. Now with more microbreweries than Sheffield (well it was a few months ago), although at least one is terrible....your pretty much never more than a mile from a brewery. Mallinsons are worth checking out. And if you do the ale train avoid the head of steam as they can't keep decent beer. Go to the Kings Head at the other end of the platform. Or the sportsman just round the corner.

Bradfield ales are pretty fine, quite like some if the Wentworth offerings too. 20 odd years ago it was hard to find proper beer, now we're spoilt. Never mind.
  • octatonic said:
    Yes, yes, we all like a pint of Hooky. That's Hook Norton, as opposed to a bodily fluid from Peter Hook, bassist of New Order.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited October 2013
    Being a beeraholic I'm quite partial to a pint or 6 of anything resembling beer.:D
    Edited for accurancy

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    guilty as charged m'lud

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    edited October 2013
    I have three small breweries within a 5 minute drive from whereaboots I reside.  They make some nice ales, (Cotswold Spring, GWB and Wickwar Brewing Co.)  however I dont like em in their '3 or 5 pint carry out thingys - tend to be just a little too flat for my tastes (just like bottled ales are a tad over sparkling........but thats easy enough to counter)

There are loads of great breweries 'round there yere parts tho
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926

I'm fond of most Adnam's ales, my local used to have it on draught, cask marque and it was awesomes. Nowadays they have Doom Bar, which is almost as good.

I also dig my belgian beers, La Chouffe, Grimburgen, Leffe Radieuse being a few of me favourites. Ooh, german pils is good too...

• AlbionLassAlbionLass Frets: 89
    edited October 2013
    Doom Bar is reasonable. Has several times been the saviour of a night out when I've had to go to pubs where it's been the only thing on apart from lager and cider. 

I always go back to Castle Rock - Harvest Pale, Brunswick - Triple Hop and Thornbridge - Jaipur, especially the Jaipur oh yes 
    ;)