Gunpowder Scorched Guitar

Not sure how many of you get the StewMac emails, but in case you missed it, I thought there was a good one yesterday, where a chap called Michi Matsuda showed how he gets a gunpowder scorched finish (as well as lots of other interesting things).

http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0201.html

Made me think of @JookyChap for some reason... :)
Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I prefer jooky, but that's seriously cool!
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 554
    Not so taken by the gunpowder effect, but that work is exquisite

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Same here. The guitar is truly beautiful, but it seems a lot of trouble to go to to make something that doesn't look that different from a normal antique stain effect.

Maximum Beavis & Butthead points for covering anything in gunpowder and setting fire to it though :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    That was totally unexpected.  I partially read the OP and was expecting a redneck with a strat.   :-O  Really liked it the finish was beautiful.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9989
    tFB Trader
    Try explaining to the anti terrorist officers why exactly you want that much black powder! :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    I prefer jooky, but that's seriously cool!
    Well, of course - Jooky's an artist :) It just liked the similarly creative approach to guitar-finishing... :)

@TheGuitarWeasel good point! Not that I'm contemplating having a go myself, but I have looked up purchase requirements, and it appears all you need is an Explosives Certificate in order to buy black powder...

tFB Trader
    Getting an explosives cert is the problem. I used to have one as I used to shoot black powder weapons (as well as conventional firearms) as a hobby. You have to prove reason for requirement, safe storage, undergo police inspection etc etc. Better to get a heat gun and do scorched finishes!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Yes, I had a quick read of the requirements (the 'all you need' in my post was a bit tongue in cheek) and they look nearly as much fun as those for SGC/FAC.

I've never had a go with anything BP, but I have been in the next bay on the range when someone else was, and my word that's got some noise to it :)

edited October 2013 tFB Trader
    dchwhite said:
    Yes, I had a quick read of the requirements (the 'all you need' in my post was a bit tongue in cheek) and they look nearly as much fun as those for SGC/FAC.

I've never had a go with anything BP, but I have been in the next bay on the range when someone else was, and my word that's got some noise to it :)
    Used to shoot full bore pistol in competition before the sport was destroyed by the combination of a couple of maniacs and a knee-jerk government ... but always had a soft spot for black powder weapons  ... I had a replica 1848 Colt Dragoon that made a wonderful 'whump' and at .44 cal blew nice, satisfying lumps out of things (created your own, personal smoke screen too) :)

LOL at 'personal smoke screen'. IME it's something that everyone else on the range gets a good share of too :)

I can remember happily trying to tighten up my groups with a silenced rimmy, and this portable cannon booming away in the next bay, great swathes of smoke washing forward...  I felt somewhat undergunned :) Certainly taught you about ignoring distractions and concentrating on the target :)