Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Back up amp

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
Other than having to go through a PA if your guitar amp blows during a gig ( my biggest fear). What would you suggest I use as a backup amp. Preferably a fender tweed style amp which is what I use etc? Doesn't even have to be valve just a great sound?
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    Other than having to go through a PA if your guitar amp blows during a gig ( my biggest fear). What would you suggest I use as a backup amp. Preferably a fender tweed style amp which is what I use etc? Doesn't even have to be valve just a great sound?
    Gotta say "ID 60" don't I?

Dave.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    ID 60? Never heard of that :)
    Just checked it out. It would be waste for me to have all those fx on board. I would still want to use my fx out in front just a quick amp change should one blow up. Oh and cheap as well as it won't be used hopefully very much ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    You could probably do worse than this -

A second hand Peavey Classic 20 would be good too, if you can find one.

In fact almost anything made by Peavey, since what you don't really want is a backup you need a backup for...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

That sounds perfect. I'm not even going to ask if it will be loud enough LOL. That should get me through a gig if need be. I'd like to try one first though but initially it sounds perfect

Thanks ICBM
    ICBM;53805" said:
    You could probably do worse than this -

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Belcat-Tube-10-Guitar-Amp/CCO?origin=product-ads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+General&utm_content=fvtyqjpD|dc_pcrid_35303405719_plid__kword__match__

A second hand Peavey Classic 20 would be good too, if you can find one.

In fact almost anything made by Peavey, since what you don't really want is a backup you need a backup for...
    Don't expect too much from the speaker, it's only an 8" - although it should be OK if it's mic'ed. Might be best if you can find a way of hooking it to the speaker in your main amp though... which will need a bit of fiddling since it doesn't look like it has an extension speaker jack.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557

I tried an ID:15, I thought it was very good indeed, although from memory it seemed to be a fair bit pricier than the equivalent Mustang at the time.

My peneth worth, I think that I would be considering solid state as a 'ready to go' back up amp.

edited October 2013
    I really don't do fiddling ICBM. I'm a plug n play kinda guy ;)

Maybe a cheap used blues junior somewhere would be better?
    That was my thought too. No valves to worry about at least :)

Any recommendations on solid state guys too?
    ROOG;53825" said:
    I tried an ID:15, I thought it was very good indeed, although from memory it seemed to be a fair bit pricier than the equivalent Mustang at the time.My peneth worth, I think that I would be considering solid state as a 'ready to go' back up amp.
    edited October 2013
    I really don't do fiddling ICBM. I'm a plug n play kinda guy ;)

Maybe a cheap used blues junior somewhere would be better?
    If you want a Fender, get the Pro Junior instead. It's a much simpler amp that sounds a lot better and has less to break. And should be cheaper. It only has a 10" speaker and a single tone control but it's actually less boxy-sounding than the Blues Junior.

If you're looking for solid state, any of the Peavey Transtube series are built like a tank, sell for buttons second hand and sound genuinely good.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537

How about taking ICBM's Belcat suggestion but going SS, it even looks tweed (though doubt it will sound as close). Cheap as chips too.

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Belcat-V35RG-35w-Guitar-amp-with-Reverb/B7J

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557

I know its way pricey as a back up but I want to hear from someone who has one of those amt stonehead heads.

They got to be good with the whole 'Space 2001' looks, surely?

:)

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited October 2013
    For a backup amp you want something small that can be plugged into your existing speakers, IMO. Something small so that you can carry it around without fuss - I think in an amp that you'll always take to gigs but hope never to have to use, that's more important than the tone. I've got one of these Crate Powerblocks that I keep in one of those little silver DJ cases along with a mic, spare valves and a spare for every cable (IEC, Instrument, Speaker, A power daisy chain and a patch lead);

Before that I had an EH .44 which is even smaller, but it didn't have quite the clean headroom I wanted and also broke within about two days. The Powerblock by comparison puts out 75w/ side into an 8 ohm load IIRC and has enough clean headroom that you just wouldn't have to worry about volume. And actually, if you crank the gain up it's quite good fun.

The downside is that it's discontinued so it's an ebay job if you want one.
    edited October 2013
    I would avoid the Powerblock - it's also one of the backup amps you need a backup for. I've seen several dead (unrepairable, certainly economically) ones and heard of a lot more. I would also have to say that while I agree that tone is not the most important factor, I thought it was one of the worst-sounding amps I've ever heard - hard, fatiguing and totally 'unmusical' to listen to. I'd far rather have some old cheap solid-state amp of almost any description. Sorry!

If it's going to be plugged into your existing speakers even an old PA head is fine - they're usually very cheap, since they're not powerful enough to be seriously considered for PA these days - although plenty for guitar - and especially if they're old enough that they don't have XLR mic inputs, and usually have reverb. I have a 50W Peavey one that I paid £40 for about 20 years ago, it's still one of the bits of kit I'll probably never sell even though it rarely gets used.

• gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    I have a line 6 Pocket Pod Express as my 'backup' (touch wood not had to use it yet)

It cost me £15 on ebay if everything goes wrong just direct out of my pedalboard into that which then goes into the PA.

It fits easily in a guitar case and case of everything going wrong it does the job fine :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland Cube. Cheap, robust and deceptively good sounds.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Fender Deluxe 90, Marshall Valvestate 8080 or Peavey Bandit for me - should pick up any of 'em for less than a ton and they actually sound good.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    God damnit @ICBM, you'll have me spending money again.
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Fender Mustang III v2. :)
    Cheap, light, and can be a backup for your pedalboard too. ;)