Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Back up amp

What's Hot

Comments

• Blackstar id60. It can be a simple plug and play amp, honest :)

For an even simpler experience, peavey bandit. It has nice cleans, excellent bluesy levels of "clean crunch", great crunch and mega distortion. You'd sit on the clean crunch type setting, it's glorious. Replacing the speaker makes it even better :)

And it'll outlive you, apparently.

But I really love the blackstar id. I wish I could afford one...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    If it doesn't need to be 'Fender Clean', have a look at the Orange Micro Terror head, or the Calibre 22 or Magnum 44 amp pedals. I used the Micro Terror at a gig when my Rocker 30 blew a tube, and I used to use the Calibre 22 for band practice. They're not going to change your life but both are good enough to get you out of tight spot

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    +1 I was just going to say the same. I also got a micro terror as backup when my Dt25 blew during a gig.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    edited October 2013
    Realistically though, how often does an amp just give in all of a sudden without a few warning signs etc?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    hotpickups;54393" said:
    Realistically though, how often does an amp just give in all of a sudden without a few warning signs etc?
    once is enough I can tell you :(
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Valve amps sound great but can be pretty unpredictable .......................
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    Very often. Usually more common than with warning signs - or at least ones that give you enough time to do something about it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

An alternative would to go through your PA isn't it. Not the best sound but it would get you through a gig wouldn't it ? Like guitar > pedals > mixer desk and power speakers etc
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1258
    Depending on occasion either eldest Son's Orange TH30 or Youngest Son's Fender Frontman 65 DSP - The Frontman's actually pretty impressive for what it didn't cost, light, loud, decent clean gone, and the modeling side's better than you'd think too...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1556
    This is a timely post, I have a wedding to play at which is a long way from our normal stomping ground. normally I don't bring a backup as I could get something arranged fast but the remote location has me thinking. Since we always mic up the amps through the PA maybe one of those Pod multifx things would be ideal straight to the desk or the yamaha THR10 micced up???? How many of you bring spare amps?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31569
    dindude said:

How about taking ICBM's Belcat suggestion but going SS, it even looks tweed (though doubt it will sound as close). Cheap as chips too.

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Belcat-V35RG-35w-Guitar-amp-with-Reverb/B7J

I have one of those, and have been using (and abusing) it for three years or so with no problems. It has a great cab design actually, it's a semi-open back made from very heavy MDF, and although it isn't very loud it has waaaay more bottom end than a Blues Junior for example.

The clean channel is a great pedal platform with a very "valve-like" dynamic feel, it's not harsh or over punchy, and it mics up very well. I've used mine on a few studio sessions, but I took the badge off just to maintain the tweed illusion for the snobs in the room. :)

However, I'm very disappointed to see they've gone up two quid to £65 since I bought mine ;)
  • Zoom G3 into the PA innit, even has XLR outs. Weighs nowt, amp models would be OK to get you through a gig. I carry mine about for general backup purposes.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    Orange Micro Terror - the size of a camcorder, louder than thunder and actually sounds decent

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I always keep a Dark Terror in the car for a backup.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Something SS that you don't ever have to worry about.

Cube 60 or 80
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I always have a spare in the car. The stress of having to sort a dead amp or substitute something I don't know, I am anxious to avoid.

Went to see a Slade tribute band a couple of weeks back and the 'Dave Hill' guitarist had his Marshall die after the third or fourth song. They take a break, he is obviously in panic mode not being entirely logical in his testing, then when its pronounced dead the venue lends him a Palmer amp. Sounds good but it takes while to dial it in and by this time he is just one river of sweat! Lovely...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    edited October 2013
    Jalapeno said:
    Something SS that you don't ever have to worry about.
    There is nothing that applies to, not even a Peavey Bandit. You always need to have a backup strategy even if it isn't a complete spare amp.

Jalapeno said:

Cube 60 or 80
    And definitely not a Cube 60. I haven't seen a broken 80 yet so can't comment...

Actually, as long as you carry spare valves and fuses, a really top-quality valve amp is a more effective strategy since it *can* be fixed on stage, whereas all solid-state amps are a bench job if they fail, even if failing is rarer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    ...or the yamaha THR10 mic'ed up??
    If you can get the guitar through the monitors you can even use its headphones output.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26951
    edited October 2013
    I've never used a backup amp, but have always had either a Pocket POD or similar in the kit bag just in case. The little Zoom MS-50G looks like the perfect thing for the purpose. Certainly a good strategy if you know you'll always be able to put it into the PA. 

If not then my pick would be a Mustang1 for cheap/good balance. They sound great close-micced, or use the line out
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Just tried the blues junior III. Very nice but pricey for a back up amp. Maybe one on eBay one day at a good price :)