12v to 9v.... Is it possible??

What's Hot
GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
Right pedal heads... Is it possible to buy anything that'll step a 12v channel on my Cioks down to 9v?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3038
    I'm pretty sure the GigRig adapters will work with a 12v input (they're designed to use with the 9V GigRig Generator).

Worth asking them the question.

R.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    potential divider?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    What pedal do you need it to drive? There are very few 9V pedals that won't safely take 12V. (If it's properly regulated so that is the true voltage, and it doesn't rise to 16V or more at near-no-load.) If that one isn't safe at 12V, what other ones do you have?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maraudermarauder Frets: 133
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    Manufacturer has advised that said pedal won't work on 12v... Hmmmm. This may scupper GAS....
    edited March 2015
    GavHaus said:
    Manufacturer has advised that said pedal won't work on 12v... Hmmmm. This may scupper GAS....
    Not really. Two resistors inside the pedal will fix it as Phil_aka_Pip said (sorry, you must have just posted that a few seconds before me!), admittedly at the expense of increased current draw but that shouldn't be an issue with a power supply. Or one, if you can work out what the draw of the pedal circuit is and calculate what will be needed to knock off 3V, so you don't bother with the ground-reference one.

Or you could do it properly with a regulator like marauder posted.

Or just use four 1N4001 diodes in series.

Lots of ways to lose 3V...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

That might as well be a foreign language! Said pedal is 400ma draw as well.... Which is what the remaining channel on my Cioks has on tap. thought I'd just be able to buy some kind of adaptor to plug in. Don't really want to open that pedal up if I end up buying one as its outrageously expensive. Other option I have is an AC Rider add on for my Cioks.
    edited March 2015
    GavHaus said:
    That might as well be a foreign language! Said pedal is 400ma draw as well.... Which is what the remaining channel on my Cioks has on tap. thought I'd just be able to buy some kind of adaptor to plug in. Don't really want to open that pedal up if I end up buying one as its outrageously expensive. Other option I have is an AC Rider add on for my Cioks.
    Yes, you could make an adaptor. Of the three (or four) options I mentioned, the last one will work if you simply make a cable with four 1N4001 diodes - the most common of all rectifier diodes, cheap and easy to get hold of - connected in series inside the cable. Each diode has a 'forward voltage drop' of about 0.8V at 400mA, so four in series will remove 3.2V, which is close enough to 3V that it won't matter. The diodes are rated at 1A, so 400mA is well within their capability.

If you can't find anyone to make such a thing locally, PM me.

Interesting! No chance of that failing / destroying said wooden panelled behemoth? (All hypothetical at this stage)
    GavHaus said:
    Interesting! No chance of that failing / destroying said wooden panelled behemoth? (All hypothetical at this stage)
    No, none at all if the 12V is properly regulated. Even at zero current draw the 1N4001 has a forward voltage drop of 0.6V, so even if the pedal doesn't draw as much current as stated it can't get more than 9.6V, and there's no danger of a 1N failing at 400mA - millions (or possibly literally billions) of them are in rectifiers in all sorts of equipment and frequently used at close to 1A and the failure rate is tiny.

To be honest I'm surprised the pedal is that sensitive, and if it is then it should be designed with some kind of voltage regulation built-in. Many less well-regulated 9V supplies put out considerably more when not under their full load.

Worthy of several wisdoms. I may be in touch!
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    Wooden panelled behemoth…. Moog?
    Only flirting with the idea for now
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    mf104 by any chance? (you should know better)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    I was tempted to take mine off the board... but upon mentioning this to my mate over the phone the other day, he simply said 'Why? It sounds amazing'. 

It's still on the board ;-)
    edited March 2015
    @meltedbuzzbox (I think) it's just flirting. Trying to work out what would come off my board is a fairly sizeable headache, especially when I start to consider the logistics of moving things around too. Would love one though.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7751
    GavHaus said:
    @meltedbuzzbox (I think) it's just flirting. Trying to work out what would come off my board is a fairly sizeable headache, especially when I start to comsider the logistics of moving things around too. Would love one though.

get it for a round-the-house pedal, then it doesn't have to fit on the board ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    sit the whammy off the board and drop in the moog?

Simples
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Don't use dropping resistors with 400 mA current draw.

You want to use the 3 terminal regulator circuit shown by marauder.

It's cheap and will guarantee 9V output.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860

DC-10?

The 7-8 and 9-10 slots?

I thought you either use the 9v or the 12v (or 15v).  Not both together.