*that* rec sound

What's Hot
ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
edited March 2015 in FX
You know the one I mean. Gained up, really rich and with a huge, trouser flapping bottom end. Makes drop d power chords sound interesting in a way other amps just don't.

Is there a way of achieving this kind of sound with a pedal into a clean amp with the resonance cranked up? I've got a Blackstar ht metal, which is good for thrash and even cops some boogie type tones, but it doesn't come close to the mesa rec tone, even at pretty loud volume.

I'm assuming it's just a part of the amp design and the only way to sound like a dual or tri rec is to own one...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm assuming it's just a part of the amp design and the only way to sound like a dual or tri rec is to own one...
    And one of the cabs - honestly a fair bit of the sound is in the cabs, and how the low end thump of the amp comes through the cabs.  The Mesa OS 4x12 with the Mesa V30s is a big part of that signature sound.  The Recto 2x12 cabs with the same speakers sound less massive and more crunchy, but have the same basic voicing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    I was going to suggest one of the Blackstar pedals. I think that's the best you'll get, without using a 4x12 and a 100w monster!
  • guitarfishbay;562352" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

I'm assuming it's just a part of the amp design and the only way to sound like a dual or tri rec is to own one...

And one of the cabs - honestly a fair bit of the sound is in the cabs, and how the low end thump of the amp comes through the cabs.  The Mesa OS 4x12 with the Mesa V30s is a big part of that signature sound.  The Recto 2x12 cabs with the same speakers sound less massive and more crunchy, but have the same basic voicing.
    Ah, I feared as much... :( I may be able to squeeze a 2x12 in my room, or an oversize 1x12? May get something close. I plan on getting a new amp later in the year, but want to be able to ballpark that sort of sound. Broadly.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23960
    The only pedal that comes close to it is the AMT R2

I'm fortunate enough to have that pedal and a Dual Rec for comparison.

The pedal into a an amp with a great power section will get you close. The R2 has a Preamp out so you can run it into the FX Return of your Blackstar, thus bypassing all the Blackstar preamp.

When used in this way the Pedal also generates a clean sound when it is off - the clean sound is based on a Fender twin.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeister;562396" said:

The pedal into a an amp with a great power section will get you close. The R2 has a Preamp out so you can run it into the FX Return of your Blackstar, thus bypassing all the Blackstar preamp.

When used in this way the Pedal also generates a clean sound when it is off - the clean sound is based on a Fender twin.
    Well I actually use a Blackstar ht pedal (the metal one) into a peavey bandit. Lol probably not the right power section by far...

But I'm hoping to get a more suitable valve amp this year which would let a pedal like that shine. Top contender doesn't have a loop, but I think the clean channel is pretty much just the power amp anyway (orange rocker 30).
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591
    edited March 2015

Speaker? Yes but which HT Metal amp have you got?

If the 60 you should have no problems with power and you might try a trick to "undo" some of the voicing? Plug an EQ pedal into the FX loop and see if you can boost a bit of low end grunt. Don't forget to have a play with the resonance control either.

Oooops!! Jus saw you saw the resonance control anyway!

Dave.

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Left-field suggestion - you could split your signal and put one line into your current rig, the other into a modeller doing a recto sound and run that direct, and mix the two when you play live,
    And at home just use what you're using or put some good headphones on and use the modeller if you want to practice that specific style. It'd be a low-cost option. ;)
    fretmeister;562396" said:

Well I actually use a Blackstar ht pedal (the metal one) into a peavey bandit. Lol probably not the right power section by far...

But I'm hoping to get a more suitable valve amp this year which would let a pedal like that shine. Top contender doesn't have a loop, but I think the clean channel is pretty much just the power amp anyway (orange rocker 30).

Doh!

I had assumed you had one of the newer Ht Metal amps.

As it happens I'm selling my Dual Rec as I'm raising funds to buy a proper Double Bass, so if you fancy it...
  • fretmeister;562430" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

fretmeister;562396" said:The only pedal that comes close to it is the AMT R2

Doh!

I had assumed you had one of the newer Ht Metal amps.

As it happens I'm selling my Dual Rec as I'm raising funds to buy a proper Double Bass, so if you fancy it...
    I have a kit kat and I did have a piano to trade, though that's sold. I could give you a single bed and mattress?

I'm not really well off right now... I tried the mini rec and bloody hated it. Didn't sound like a rec at all, fizzy and not as open sounding at high gain. So I might need to go full fat, but that's way out of budget and volume requirements... :(
    I had a Mini Rec too. Hated it too.

Don't worry about volume on the proper Dual Rec though, it's still very good at low volumes.
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Joyo california sound? Not selling, but borrow mine if you like. Smaller 4x12? I have an epiphone sized one I ought to shift.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current