Gigging Friday & Saturday!

What's Hot
stickersticker Frets: 869

So after playing in various live bands for the past 25 years , this weekend is the first time that I have gigs on both Friday and Saturday !

It'll almost be like being on a tiny weeny tour and I'm actually quite excited  .

Any advice to help me get through the weekend ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• "Have a good time, all the time."
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I've done that once in my life. My worry was that I'd be exhausted for the Saturday gig but having played the entire set the night before I was playing virtually on automatic pilot and it was the easiest, most enjoyable gig. I can see how bands on tour must be thinking 'what's for tea' whilst they are playing after the first few gigs.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

Being knackered is my main worry  , also it may be a bit of a come down if the Friday audience is more enthusiastic than the Saturday audience , if you get what I mean ?

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    It'll be fine. It's amazing how quickly gigs become routine. Just make sure you get plenty of sleep and eat properly - I find if it's Mcdonalds/shitty takaway food for lunch and dinner it quickly becomes an energy drain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I do Thurs/Fri/Sat/sun most weeks.

Just remember not to burn yourself out on the first night. Same goes for singer. and enjoy!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    As a yoof and indeed well into my 30s that was the norm if not more some weeks. The band always feels tighter when you gig plenty. Just try to sleep in to recover each morning. Watch out for leaving gear in the car overnight if you have the slightest worry about the neighbourhood! As @Cirrus says eat well and don't be tempted to drink lots of alcohol, which despite how you feel does impede your performance.
    Look after your voice if you sing and make sure all your gear is gigable and the spares etc. are to hand.

Finally enjoy the experience. :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5773
    I'm doing it twice in April, with 6/7 in the month (I think) not to sound blase (ive never done it before!) I'm hoping I'll be good for it-I'll just drink through the pain anyway...

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I'm also pulling a double shift Compared to the wedding band schedule its light :) First gig is a 3 hour one Rock n metal covers so no slouching at the back please I'll be putting an ice pack on my tennis elbow tomorrow no doubt
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    We did one of these just last week. 

Normally I don't find it a big deal but this time Friday was The Cart & Horses in Stratford who like to put their bands on late (like 11:00 PM start late...) which means that (after load out, a relatively leisurely drive home albeit on clear roads, and a coffee stop in the interests of safety) I wasn't back home and in bed until going on 4:30 AM. This made the Saturday night gig pretty brutal and if anyone ever takes a pair of bookings like that again I guarantee that Toys Will Be Thrown...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    I do Friday and sat most weeks and quite a few Sundays as well. But it's nothing really in comparison to what I used to do before. In the 90s we kicked every Friday Saturday Sunday Monday and often on a Thursday

In the 70s and early 80s it was possible to play eight times a week as there was more lunchtime sessions as well

It helps if you have a van that's constantly got your gear on it otherwise you effectively load twice for every gig to and fro the house et cetera
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

Alas no van so 4 effective load ups/downs , at least all the gear is kept on the ground floor for the night !

It's only the 3rd and 4th gig for this band so I'm really looking forward to both shows .