Would love a new distortion pedal!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Goosoniqueworx 7thvn. I run mine at 12v DC, it sounds like the front end of a hi gain amp, plus the lo gain green channel does a nice dynamic overdrive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

Thanks for the replies. 

To be honest I had bought the Catalinbread RAH during the week there but I am going to send it back as I don't like it.  For a start it doesn't have enough gain IMO.  The demos I heard sounded much higher gain.  It does sound good but just not what I'm looking for. 

Not sure what to get to be honest.  Will probably go back to my Boss OD-1X as a lighly overdriven tone and run the DS-1X into that.  Would just like something new.....

I had thought about fuzzes and that but they are sort of a one trick pony in that I only find them good for lead. 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Skarloey;564183" said:
    [quote="EricTheWeary;564157"]MattFGBI said:

I bought a Rowin one the other day, it's great. 

a distortion pedal named after Black Country for having an argument. Makes sense.
    Ayukka yukka yukk.

They do Bostin pedals as well.

And Blartin pedals for when you want to play the blues...[/quote]
    Arr.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

Anyone got the Suhr Rufus fuzz? 

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    currently loving the empress red

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    currently loving the empress red

What sort of distortion would you describe it as?   marshally? 
  • mr_airmr_air Frets: 24
    Here's a few suggestions.

Emma Reezafratzitz - A really versatile distortion that can go from mild overdrive to really high gain.

Wampler Sovereign - I have only played this in a shop briefly, but it really sounds good to me (someone mentioned the Wampler Pinnacle which I tried at the same time and found it way to trebly/thin sounding).

Mooer Black Secret - If you want a RAT the Mooer Black Secret is a good and cheap solution.
    mr_air said:
    Here's a few suggestions.

Emma Reezafratzitz - A really versatile distortion that can go from mild overdrive to really high gain.

Wampler Sovereign - I have only played this in a shop briefly, but it really sounds good to me (someone mentioned the Wampler Pinnacle which I tried at the same time and found it way to trebly/thin sounding).

Mooer Black Secret - If you want a RAT the Mooer Black Secret is a good and cheap solution.

I might get the Black Secret.  I'm not keen on Wampler pedals to be honest with you as I also them thin sounding, no matter what amp I have tried them with eg SS or valve. 

Just having thoughts now about getting a fuzz maybe.  Gonna listen to some of those El Ray effects demos when I get in from work as I see Sounds Great Music sell them now.  Also considering the Suhr Rufus as I quite like Ian Thornley's tone on the Suhr videos when he demos them and also some of the lead tones on the latest Big Wreck album (War Baby), which I'm sure is the Rufus Fuzz as he uses a lot of Suhr gear now.

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I've got a Pinnacle Deluxe for sale (see my sig) not sure it'll behave the same through your amp like the it does through mine though. It is fab through a cranked clean amp.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    edited May 2019
    Hi all, I suppose no harm bumping this thread. I too am looking for another distortion pedal. I have a big muff, a boss overdrive od-3 , and a tc electronic spark for some really light overdriven tones, so I suppose looking for something in between.
    I've had the boss distortion pedal years ago, and the turbo distortion, but so long ago I can't recall what they were like. I remember them losing volume in a live scenario.
    I've had the Mooer dark secret, which I think was a rat clone. Wasn't using it at the time so sold it, so might revisit.
    My nephew has the MXR 78 distortion, which is great, so might have a look. What about the other MXR distortions? Any good?
    Thought I'd narrow it down to something bog standard without boosts or extra switches.
    Mooer Cruncher anyone?
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    Mooer Black Secret is a nice RAT.

The Zoom Hyper Lead is a very versatile pedal that can go really high gain. Someone here recommended it to me and sold it to me on that basis, and they weren't wrong. The parametric mids are useful, although generally I only make subtle changes with that, but it's surprisingly low noise with the gain flat out.

The Catalinbread DLS is one I've tried, and didn't really go for. It's too loose and flubby in the low end. I think it's a good representation of an actual Marshall, and a good pedal, but for me, it wasn't tight enough (my guitar produces a LOT of low end), and end up fuzzier than I'd like for a high gain sound.

FWIW, I found the Suhr Riot to be similar to the DLS, and too dark/loose for me. I could get really nice fuzzy/plexi textures, but it wasn't right for a higher gain fusiony lead sound.
  • dragonb4llzdragonb4llz Frets: 12
    I really like the Sinvertek No5 - managed to get it for under £100 off Amazon a few months back but looks like it's back to £130 now.

Pete Thorn's done a review where he highly rates it: 
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352

Anyone got the Suhr Rufus fuzz? 

I’ve had this and the Riot. The latter is a better option for 80s hair rock. The ADA MP1 pedal is Nuno in a box and the Rat is also that style. I think it would be a case of trying those 3 through your amp if it were me 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    I recently picked up a Guv'nor mark 2 for £20 on ebay.
    It does all the 80s hair metal distortion I have ever wanted.
    Add a soul food for either extra drive or solo boost and it's perfect.

Don't knock it til you try it.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    For home use I really like the the much overlooked Boss Mega-Distortion, MD-2.
    No shortage of gain and it's not compulsory to turn both gains all the way up if you want to reign it in. 
    Great home pedal.  Not expensive either.
    Only drawback is that it can get a bit lost in a live context.
    This thread is a blast from the past.  I have tried a number of dirt pedals since I posted this and have long since given up the hunt.  I sold off all my pedals, apart from my Boss collection which I keep in storage.  I'm using a GT-1000 now so I can get pretty much any distortion / overdrive sound I want. 
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    I recently picked up a Guv'nor mark 2 for £20 on ebay.
    It does all the 80s hair metal distortion I have ever wanted.
    Add a soul food for either extra drive or solo boost and it's perfect.

Don't knock it til you try it.
    I think I'm cursed on ebay. I struggle to sell things for £20 then when I am looking for them again they are all £50. I sold my Guv'nor for £23 delivered and now they are all £30 or £40. Fecking annoying.

I am also looking for a distortion for running into a clean amp for mid-high gain rock. My issue is I have tried almost everything over the years and nothing has stuck. Probably my fave so far was the MI Audio Crunch Box. I tried the Mooer Cruncher and didn't like it - not sure if I have changed or the pedal is not an accurate clone. I've been through the RAT, DS1, Guv'nor, Jackhammer, Zoom Hyper Lead, the Blackstar HT pedals and many others. Not sure what to try now...maybe a Hustle drive.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    The TC Dark Matter is great and cheap too :)
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Have a look at the Elektron analog drive deal on Thomann alerted elsewhere by @stonevibe. Lot of drive options for £90. 
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    normula1 said:
    The TC Dark Matter is great and cheap too :)
    Tried the mojo mojo and thought it was a bit meh. Tempted to give the dark matter a whirl though.