Single coil distortion!!

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
I'm really loving the sound of single coils with distortion right now. For so long I've been into bridge humbucker for stand-out lead sounds and neck humbucker for creamy leads..  but there's something raw and tasteful about single coil distorted sounds that I'm really digging lately. 
Any songs you know that feature this to full effect?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    Rage Against the Machine have lots of good single coil drive sounds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Yngwie for lead tones. Even if you can't stomach a full Yngwie song he probably had one of the best shred tones on some of his big releases.

Also a lot of Circa Survive stuff is telecasters. The album 'On Letting Go' is one of my favourite guitar albums. I think there are humbuckers mixed in with it too, but a lot of that stuff was Telecaster.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    Anything by Ritchie Blackmore after about the first two Deep Purple albums.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I think Josh Homme uses a US Standard Tele for most of his stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Queens of the stone age, Nirvana, Red hot chili peppers, Biffy Clyro, Smashing pumpkins and loads more
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Blackmore as @icbm said.

I love the sound on Rainbow Rising. Big fat tone.

Jeff Beck also gets a fat tone. My favourite of his is Who Else?

Rory Gallagher for a less thick but very wiry driven Strat tone.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    One of my favourite heavily overdriven single coil sounds is from Walter Trout. Anything off the Tellin Stories album is sublime tone IMO

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    Yngwie for lead tones. Even if you can't stomach a full Yngwie song he probably had one of the best shred tones on some of his big releases.

Also a lot of Circa Survive stuff is telecasters. The album 'On Letting Go' is one of my favourite guitar albums. I think there are humbuckers mixed in with it too, but a lot of that stuff was Telecaster.
    I was under the impression that Yngwie was stacked humbuckers?

Rory Gallagher is among my favourites, lovely gritty tone.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Whatshisname...that fella in pink, no pink Floyd I think it was ? ;) 
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    ..oh but my personal fave Strat toanz has to be SRV tho....
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Philip Sayce One of my favourites......remember this is morning TV in Germany :)
  • strtdv;566090" said:
    guitarfishbay said:

Yngwie for lead tones. Even if you can't stomach a full Yngwie song he probably had one of the best shred tones on some of his big releases.

I was under the impression that Yngwie was stacked humbuckers?

Rory Gallagher is among my favourites, lovely gritty tone.
    I thought earlier Yngwie was real single coils. I might be wrong as I'm not a fan beyond a couple of tunes, I know he's had noiseless pickups in recent times.
  • Well looks like you might be right! Still sounds like a Strat to me. Very thin but works well for the style.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Thanks, all - I will listen to all this at work next week!!
    FYI I think Yngwie's "Rising Force" will always be a masterpiece!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited March 2015
    0:45 onwards is everything you need to know about why Teles are awesome in one place.

Yngwie, as has been said - amazing neck sound. His stunning vibrato helps. And the bend at 1:00 is KILLER. Screams!

ALL of this.

And ALL of this. Even the clean bits, because it's Eric fucking Johnson and you need to hear as much of him as possible.

Let us not forget, P-90s are singlecoils too. And they fucking scream when you give them some distortion.

Not sure if this counts because I'm pretty sure they're his signature DiMarzio Injectors, which are stacked, but 1:35:

Sounds pretty single-coily to me, and also sounds fucking fabulous (as do most things Paul plays but you know). Fantastic solo.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Oh MAN, I'm loving these single coil distorted sounds..!!!!!!! :D 
    There's just that little bit of rasp... it's not in your face like with humbuckers (which I obviously still love!) - it's just awesome!
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Bucket;566124" said:

ALL of this.

Eek! that sounds like TGP made flesh...
    *shudders*

:)

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh MAN, I'm loving these single coil distorted sounds..!!!!!!! :D 
    There's just that little bit of rasp... it's not in your face like with humbuckers (which I obviously still love!) - it's just awesome!
    I really like the clarity you get with single coil distortion - I was strictly a Hum-Hum kinda guy until I built my strat, which is now my number one. 

Check this out dude.  Big Muff into a Boss DS-2 on turbo mode. Or DS-2 into Big Muff, I can't remember which.  I get really damn close running a Valvesporker fuzz into a DF-2 set to a crunchy tone, though.