7 string gauges? What's recommended, especially on the low B?

What's Hot
SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
So, I've just taken on a 7 string (it's all mine now!).

On my Jem I use 10-46, so I'd guess I'd have the same on this in the first 6, with something fat on the low B.

Any recommendations on this? I'll keep it in standard tuning. Searching online people seem to have string opinions, but not much to back it up.

I think it has 9s of some description, but they're too light for me :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Experiment is my best suggestion, i use around a 60 on a 30" scale but I like heavy!
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 508
    Ernieballsacks that's my favourite brand of strings.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    Cant stand EB's. I'd use d'addario if it werent for them using 9-74 for an 8 string set. Seriously?! So I am stuck with labella top 7 and a Daddario 80 for a low E on my 8. But thats not really heavy enough
    'Awibble'
  • Buy a load of single strings and see what you like. The lightest I'd suggest would be a 56. I would personally buy all increments up to a 66 and try them out. 68 and up feels huge IMO but some like it. Depends how hard you want to hit the low B and how tight you want it.
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 508
    I won't touch D'addario the Ausrtralian distributor tried to fuck me over once too many times on prices, so I stick to Ernie Balls, I used to use Snarling Dogs but they've become very hard to get nowadays, I've never had any problems with any of the distributors for Ernie Balls, I don't buy single packs of strings, I buy them in bulk usually 100 sets at a time, I generally change my strings at least twice a week.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
    Buy a load of single strings and see what you like. The lightest I'd suggest would be a 56. I would personally buy all increments up to a 66 and try them out. 68 and up feels huge IMO but some like it. Depends how hard you want to hit the low B and how tight you want it.
    56 as the lightest you'd go? The standard sets seem to be 10 - 46, with a 56 on the B. I've had a quick search on this, people do seem to complain on it being light in the standard set; I'll buy a few to try.

Thanks!
  • Yes a 56 is light and only really suits people who have a light touch IMO. I play six strings tuned to drop B. 11-56 daddarios with the low string replaced with a 59 or 12-60 with the low string replaced with a 64 depending if I want lighter or heavier tension for that guitar.

I've tried up to a 70, but when you start getting that thick the tone gets noticeably duller.
    I would use Earnie ball if it werent for them practially disintegrating on contact with my flesh. Loads of pro's use them, and they sound fantastic. But I dont like the feel or longevity. If I was recording or gigging regularly, I might consider them.

I used an 80 for drop A# on my 24.75" scale Dean. Man that was heavy and had BALLS. Theres a reason Lee Malia uses them
    'Awibble'
  • Yeah heavy strings have balls but they have less attack and less clarity. They suit people who do a lot of single note stuff but can be a bit more prone to mud if you do a lot of stuff with chords. But that also depends on a lot of other factors (guitar construction, pickups, string age, amp etc)... It is all personal preference really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So in essence, the key take-away here is:

"Suck it up, and accept you'll buy a few strings you won't like".

I've got to admit, it makes sense :)

Thanks!

I'll likely stick with the 10-46 on the top 6 though.
  • Yeah. If you want to do it on the cheap just try out 56 (I'm assuming one comes with the set of 10s?), 60, 64. I would guess you'd be ok on the 60 but it is worth trying heavier too.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited March 2015
    I use 9-42 plus a 68 on my 7 in drop A and have 12-54 on my 6 in B standard at the mo (bit floppy and the G string is a mess). The 12-60 set with a wound third is probably ideal. Always D'Addario. Never Ernieballbags.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    I always sell standard 6 string sets and let customer select their 7th string from our single strings
    It is surprising how light the 7th string that manufacturers put in 7 string sets - way too light usually

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

edited March 2015
    FelineGuitars;568375" said:
    I always sell standard 6 string sets and let customer select their 7th string from our single stringsIt is surprising how light the 7th string that manufacturers put in 7 string sets - way too light usually
    This is what I'm seeing lots of the more I delve into it with searches. I still have the mentality that strings are a big expense (which they were when I was a teenager...)

I'll buy a few and see what sticks. It doesn't help that I have no frame of reference for what the different strings look like. I like elixir strings, so I wanted to avoid buying something I didn't like. I'll just drop a standard set of 6 string tens on and buy a few to try without the elixir coating.

Cheers!

FYI (for anyone interested) - I ended up with a 9-42 set (as per my Jem) with a 56 on the B; as recommended by the nice chaps at Feline.

Much nicer feel than the 52 that normally comes with the 7 string pack.

Also, I can't praise Feline enough for the job they've done on my Universe. Thanks again chaps!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Use your normal 6 string set, and trial a few different ones for the 7.

You'll soon find one you like.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

What brand are you using? I'm using a newtone 10-60 set I got off stringsdirect and they are AWEsOMe
    'Awibble'
    I'm using Nanoweb, as my sweat is akin to the stuff inside an Alien.

No going back for me, as they now last more than a practice.

56 is absolutely perfect, so I'm set for a while. Will be trying some other tunings with the other 7 string, but not for a while. Need to get used to the extra B, going "chug chug chug" is bound to get boring at some point...
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Minimum 59. Rethinking the way you set your amp helps as well. Not all amps like 7 strings
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    Minimum 60 I'd say.

I remember as a kid having an Ibanez RG7 strung 9-52. That makes me laugh now.