Heat gun cheapish

thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
As part of a sale recently I took a cort m200 as part ex for something. It's actually not a bad guitar but I don't like the finish. Im thinking of stripping it back to the wood, lot of opinion is around using a heat gun for it. Do the good people agree? If so, whats a good cheap heat gun to use? Or will any do?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28095
    I got a Dewalt one from eBay for sensible money I don't think there's really very much to choose though - they're all basically over-done hair dryers.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    I have the dewalt too- it seems fine.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3584
    Places like Lidl and Aldi sometimes have such tools on offer. For occasional use they are acceptable, for professional use they would be considered disposable.

Here ya go, for e tenner. Parkside brand with 3 year warranty.

Stocks don't hang about many days so do it now!

• musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    I have a Titan from screwfix . Have always found the Titan stuff very good
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Don't laugh, but I recently stripped a Squier Tele Custom using a hair dryer and a flat cake-icing knife.  I had a heat gun on hand, but found I could control things a bit better using the hair dryer and taking things a bit slower.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9605
    Somebody on MusicRadar stripped a Baja Tele with a Braun Silencio 1600 hairdryer (I know because for some reason I have the very same model). Hairdryers, like irons, are something I never buy but somehow I end up owning.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    DeWalt, get it from Amazon and then if it goes belly up you'll get it swapped easily. They are not the most reliable of Dewalts offerings, I've gone through 3 in 15 years or so. I now keep two just in case one goes.

They are good and the temp control is useful. I believe there is now a new model with accurate temp control and LED readout, deisnged for controlled melting of polyethylene plastics and the like, Quite a lot dearer though and not necessary for stripping work.

The most useful additional tool you can buy though is a Bahco scraper.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-650-Carbide-Edged-Scraper/dp/B0001IX7RY

Removes burnt lacquer easily though need to be carefull with curves. Will never go blunt. My blade has lasted 18years or so of very regular use for all sorts of tasks.