Vauxhall - the worst pile of crap ever

What's Hot
Some of you may know that the Vauxhall combo van I bought last February with money borrowed from my mum blew its engine up in April, and I borrowed yet more money to get another engine and pay the garage to fit it.

About 2 months ago I noticed the red engine oil light come on as I swept round a right hander, so at the first opportunity I checked the oil level and found it on the bottom of the stick, so topped it up. This evening, the same on a right hander. Just took the filler cap off, and found mayonnaise on the inside of it.

'kin Vauxhall, I'll NEVER buy another and I'd advise everyone else to steer clear of 'em too!
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Mayoniasse as in it has foamed up?
    Too much oil in there then.

If you've overfilled it with oil you could blow your head gasket.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mayonnaise could just be too many short journeys, try giving it a good run to burn off the moisture.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Pffft! You should have stuck to proper Salad Cream, not that foreign mayonnaise muck.

• I filled it to the top of the stick. If the red light comes on, the oil is at the bottom of the stick. So in 2 months it has lost that amount of oil, and presumably had lost the same amount of oil in the period between the engine refit and the first red light occasion. Last time I checked the stick was 1 month ago and there wasn't any mayonnaise on it then (and the oil level was close to the top). Conclusion: those engines are crap
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mayonnaise could just be too many short journeys, try giving it a good run to burn off the moisture.
    It had a good run last weekend. And on a few other weekends before that.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    It sounds like it may have a head gasket leak already. I would think you have a claim against the garage who fitted the 'new' engine - which I assume was a salvaged one - since it was clearly either like that when fitted or not fitted correctly, if they disassembled it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

@ICBM ; I've never seen a replacement engine dismantled, other than external parts, IE Alternator, Turbo etc. If the garage was paid to fit the engine, then they would have done exactly that. At work we won't fit any parts the customer supplies, unless they can be verified as to their quality and whether they're correct to the vehicle.

it does look like the head gasket is knackered.

@Phil_aka_Pip ; usually the difference from the top to bottom mark on the dipstick is 1 ltr. it's worth checking oil levels weekly.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• DougDoug Frets: 172
    What's the coolant level like?, any cross contamination ~ oil to coolant/coolant to oil?, what colour is the engine oil on the dipstick? engine misfire/rough idle?, as guitarcookie1 says ~ it 'could' just be condensation under the oil filler cap from short journeys.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    edited October 2013
    mike_l said:

@ICBM ; I've never seen a replacement engine dismantled, other than external parts, IE Alternator, Turbo etc. If the garage was paid to fit the engine, then they would have done exactly that. At work we won't fit any parts the customer supplies, unless they can be verified as to their quality and whether they're correct to the vehicle.

That's what I assumed too, so if the garage sourced the engine then they should be liable for the repair, even if it's not strictly 'their' fault.

Ah... I re-read the original post and it looks like the garage didn't supply the engine. In which case you'll have to take it up with whoever you got it from.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24298
    It shouldn't be using that amount of oil, so I would also suspect a head gasket.  Are you getting any coolant loss as well ?

Either way, the engine is ok at the moment (so you're not looking at another new engine anyway).
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    hmm ,mrs berts Zafira is one of the best car's she's owned...............
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    When we moved back to the UK in 2007 we had a Vauxhall Vectra as a hire car for 6 months.
    TOTAL pile of shit.
    Cannot tell you how happy I was to see the back of it.
  • And people mocked me for trying to sell my aggravatingly reliable Nissan, on here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    I ran a 1.4 Corsa for years with no trouble (except a too-small battery for its size). Unfortunately shit like head gaskets happen to everything eventually :(
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    In the interest of balance, I currently own a Zafira and a Corsa. Both have been brilliant, having given me no problems whatsoever. Compare that to the Audi's and Merc's that I've owned which gave me constant, and very expensive problems.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    We got an 05 Zafira from ebay in 2009 for 2800 pounds and it's needed tyres and a new windscreenwiper blade; it's passed 5 MOTs and done 40k miles.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    Just to add to the anecdata, I was once on a train from Woking to Waterloo that broke down at Vauxhall. They wouldn't let anyone get off and walk. We were right at the platform!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Well I have an amp modeller which I sometimes set to Vox hall reverb and it sounds good enough to me so there.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    I once worked for a chap who lived in Vauxhall. He was alright, but he swore a lot. Caveat and all that.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3900
    I had my last car (Vectra 2.2 SRi) for 7 years. It never broke down and was the most reliable car I've ever owned.