Vauxhall - the worst pile of crap ever

What's Hot

Comments

• OK Mike I'll check that over tomorrow morning. Fanx :)

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @mike_l @Roaster I removed the cap off the expansion tank and ran the engine for a minute or two. The top end was clattery because I haven't topped up the oil yet (there was some old castrol mineral oil in the garage but I'm under the impression this one is using synthetic so I'll have to pick some up today). Apart from ripples in the pink stuff caused by vibration I couldn't see any bubbles.

I drove to work in someone else's vehicle today (by permission, I didn't just take it!)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Get your oil by the gallon at a supermarket, it's far cheaper than on a forecourt and if you are using that much it will make a difference.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good point, although I thought modern engines weren't supposed to burn oil? My old Focus didn't.
  • RoasterRoaster Frets: 18
    edited October 2013
    No no no, depending on the engine type , if it's 16valve putting the wrong oil in can cause problems. Modern oil is designed to be thinner to suit certain engines. Putting s supermarket 20w50 could bung it up and cause the valves to stick. Have a look in the handbook and see what viscosity is recommended pip. How many miles has it done? Some oil consumption is normal, is there any puddles of oil where you park it?
  • It's an 8-valve. IIRC my local garage puts a synthetic oil in it.  I can look up the exact oil spec on the vauxhall web site

It doesn't leak oil. AFAIK the engine has done about 50 000 miles
  • RoasterRoaster Frets: 18
    Probably be a 10w30 or similar, best yo put the right stuff in but do it quickly mate
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Most of our engines (Peugeot) and Ford take a 5W30 fully synthetic.

I'd reccommend using a decent engine flush, and changing the oil and filter. Then checking the oil level and for any emulsion weekly.

If the emulsion returns then there's something that needs to be looked at.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Something is definitely wrong - modern engines just don't 'use oil' like that. The oil must be going *somewhere*, and if it's not getting into the coolant or leaking out, it must be getting past the piston rings.

I'm not an expert but I thought that could have some implications for the catalytic converter, which are expensive to replace. (I could be wrong though.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• A neighbour talked to me while I was topping up the engine oil this evening. Described history & symptoms, listed evidences found (ie no bubbles in expansion tank, no oil in it either, no mayonnaise on dipstick) ... he said there was nothing to worry about, the mayonnaise on the inside of the filler cap is apparently normal for an 8 valve engine.

After a top up the engine ran a lot quieter, as expected. Will keep a close eye on levels & condition of oil & coolant. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    I did try to tell you that earlier having owned a Vauxhall for 7 years with the same ailment.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7669
    my Corsa used to use a surprising amount of oil, but in the last year it's magically improved, not a clue as to why :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    mike_l;56395" said:
    Most of our engines (Peugeot) and Ford take a 5W30 fully synthetic.

I'd reccommend using a decent engine flush, and changing the oil and filter. Then checking the oil level and for any emulsion weekly.

If the emulsion returns then there's something that needs to be looked at.
    I don't agree I'm afraid. For the very reason I've already mentioned.
  • mmaatt25mmaatt25 Frets: 4
    edited October 2013
    A compression test will tell you an awful lot in a very short amount of time and give a direction to find the problem, ie cylinder head gasket/crack, worn rings, burnt exhaust valve etc.
  • @Deadman you owe me your left nad. Although the engine ran well enough do to a 6 mile round trip on Monday night - so I got some breakdown insurance yesterday with the intention of using the van to come to work in today, when I fired it up this morning it ran for 3 seconds, then it stopped running and the yellow engine-shaped error light came on. No obvious faults from a visual inspection under the bonnet. After leaving it for a minute or two and trying again, it fired up with no obvious nasty noises then stopped in the same manner.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7669
    you can get info on Corsa engine warning lights online (not sure what your van is)

(copied from another forum)

first of all get in your car and press both the brake and accelerate pedal, then while having your foot on both pedals put the key in the ignition to position 2 (so basically the position before making the engine start on position 3)

now your spanner light should start flashing

if it flashes 10 times it means its '0' and any other flashes correspond to the number, each number is seperated by a pause

for example code 0174 would have spanner light flash 10 times, then a 2 second pause, then flash once, then another 2 second pause, then flash 7 times, then a 2 second pause, then flash 4 times

if you have more than 1 error code logged, the spanner light will leave a few seconds before doing the next one

if no codes are logged then the spanner light will just constantly flash until you release the pedals

the code numbers are on this page - http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/engine-management-light-11171.html?s=b6a7136a986eb8fbf6c05180174d7632&

I discovered this when my Corsa had the light come on, and it told me the crankshaft sensor was faulty - I decided to take it to my local garage just to be absolutely sure (they had the proper bit of kit to plug into the car and check) and they replaced - the crankshaft sensor. (cost me another £80 to find out I was right all along ;) )

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_C said:
    you can get info on Corsa engine warning lights online (not sure what your van is)

(copied from another forum)

first of all get in your car and press both the brake and accelerate pedal, then while having your foot on both pedals put the key in the ignition to position 2 (so basically the position before making the engine start on position 3)

now your spanner light should start flashing

if it flashes 10 times it means its '0' and any other flashes correspond to the number, each number is seperated by a pause

for example code 0174 would have spanner light flash 10 times, then a 2 second pause, then flash once, then another 2 second pause, then flash 7 times, then a 2 second pause, then flash 4 times

if you have more than 1 error code logged, the spanner light will leave a few seconds before doing the next one

if no codes are logged then the spanner light will just constantly flash until you release the pedals

the code numbers are on this page - http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/engine-management-light-11171.html?s=b6a7136a986eb8fbf6c05180174d7632&

I discovered this when my Corsa had the light come on, and it told me the crankshaft sensor was faulty - I decided to take it to my local garage just to be absolutely sure (they had the proper bit of kit to plug into the car and check) and they replaced - the crankshaft sensor. (cost me another £80 to find out I was right all along ;) )

wow thanks @Paul_C have a wisdom! :)

Phil_aka_Pip;57974" said:
    @Deadman you owe me your left nad. Although the engine ran well enough do to a 6 mile round trip on Monday night - so I got some breakdown insurance yesterday with the intention of using the van to come to work in today, when I fired it up this morning it ran for 3 seconds, then it stopped running and the yellow engine-shaped error light came on. No obvious faults from a visual inspection under the bonnet. After leaving it for a minute or two and trying again, it fired up with no obvious nasty noises then stopped in the same manner.
    You're welcome to my nad but I fail to see what this has to do with your mayo problem.
  • Deadman said:
    Phil_aka_Pip;57974" said:
    @Deadman you owe me your left nad. Although the engine ran well enough do to a 6 mile round trip on Monday night - so I got some breakdown insurance yesterday with the intention of using the van to come to work in today, when I fired it up this morning it ran for 3 seconds, then it stopped running and the yellow engine-shaped error light came on. No obvious faults from a visual inspection under the bonnet. After leaving it for a minute or two and trying again, it fired up with no obvious nasty noises then stopped in the same manner.
    You're welcome to my nad but I fail to see what this has to do with your mayo problem.
    You bet me your left nad the engine was fine. It clearly isn't. Whether the mayo problem has anything to do with it will not be known until the cause of the engine management shutdown is known.
    I demand a re-count! Seriously though, I hope it's not related. It's a shame you're not near me as I have some excellent mechanics on my team. Good luck with it.