Cornell Romany plus gigging upgrade?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    edited August 2015
    @Chris45 how did you get on with this mate? Any success?

I tried a Cornell Romany plus with tone tubby speaker the other day. Absolutely loved it. A belter of an amp. Tried one in a rehearsal room cranked without a drummer. 

Considering getting one myself. 

@p90fool. Have you ever tried using the Mackie for backline?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Anyone try the unleash with it?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    AndyJP said:
    Yes, that's how I normally use it in pub gigs. The Princeton can often cope on its own but I'll often mic it to give it an easier time and some headroom, putting the Mackie on a stand around chest height and the Princeton on the floor.

It's a very flexible setup, I have a huge range of volume available and I can point it anywhere in an instant.
    Adding to which, I just prefer the sound of miked amps over hearing guitar speakers directly. The filtering effect of a good mic is after all what our ears used to from our favourite artists both live and on record.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2015
    @p90fool Hi mate.  Ta for the info. Sounds awesome :)

Which Mackie are you using?
    p90fool said:
    AndyJP said:
    Yes, that's how I normally use it in pub gigs. The Princeton can often cope on its own but I'll often mic it to give it an easier time and some headroom, putting the Mackie on a stand around chest height and the Princeton on the floor.

It's a very flexible setup, I have a huge range of volume available and I can point it anywhere in an instant.
    Adding to which, I just prefer the sound of miked amps over hearing guitar speakers directly. The filtering effect of a good mic is after all what our ears used to from our favourite artists both live and on record.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    Just a Thump 12, not the greatest quality but it seems to work well for this.
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Hi chaps - played with a 2x12 which definitely gave more volume but they were Eminence and something lost in the sound. Gigging again Saturday so will update
    @chris45 How was the gig chief ?
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    So for dull logistic reasons I ended up borrowing a Fender Blues Junior for the gig. Tone not nearly as nice as Cornell, could get quite "metallic" (although not distorted). However it has volume in spades compared to the Cornell. 15 v 10 watts is the difference? Or maybe back to looking at speakers.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236

I had a Cornell Romany Plus from 2007 to 2013. I had just bought it for home use and got asked to join a band. I have problems with the clean volume and here's what I did.

Swapped the oe speaker to a Vintage 30-increase in volume but real beam problems solved with gaffa tape.

Swapped the V30 to an alnico Tone Tubby-increase in volume but took ages to break in.

Swapped the 6L6 to a Svet EL34, increase in volume.

Swapped to a 6550-increase in volume.

Bought an Unleash-volume issues gone.

The unleash was the best solution but after a while I got tired with all the fixes and mods and traded it for a Bad Cat 30 and I also now have an AC4. In retrospect I was always hunting for a Vox sound so did that.

@slacker does the unleash maintain the feel of the amp at louder volumes?

It allows you to run the amp at any or lack of gain and set the volume on the unit. I havent used it that loud but my current use is permanently hooked up to a ZVex Nano to run clean boosted by the Unleash as that amp has next to no headroom.

It always feels like a real amp (with my old Romany, Nano and Black Cat) and the only downside soundwise is a very small loss in treble.

Ah ur using it as a boost for solos?
    I've never used channel 2, so no. If you werent the other end of the country I'd offer to bring it over for testing.
  • P90LoverP90Lover Frets: 0
    I have used my Romany Plus to gig on occasion when the band I was playing with were playing at lower volumes (but this was a folk style band and played at low volume). Generally though this amp is designed as a studio amp and amp for home use and is not designed to be used at volumes you would normally need for gigs. I now only use my Romany Plus at home (it's very loud at home). To solve the problem I purchased a Fender DRRI for gigging. This gives me the best of both worlds, real quality tone at home with the Cornell with absolutely no buzzing or noise through my single coils and live I get plenty of headroom and volume with my Fender DRRI. I appreciate that not everybody can afford two quality amps, but make the investment and never look back. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    P90Lover said:
    I have used my Romany Plus to gig on occasion when the band I was playing with were playing at lower volumes (but this was a folk style band and played at low volume). Generally though this amp is designed as a studio amp and amp for home use and is not designed to be used at volumes you would normally need for gigs. I now only use my Romany Plus at home (it's very loud at home). To solve the problem I purchased a Fender DRRI for gigging. This gives me the best of both worlds, real quality tone at home with the Cornell with absolutely no buzzing or noise through my single coils and live I get plenty of headroom and volume with my Fender DRRI. I appreciate that not everybody can afford two quality amps, but make the investment and never look back. 
    Firstly, necro thread bump.

If you are looking at the kind of money to get a Romany Plus and a DRRI then you are in Lazy J 20 territory.  I sold my Romany Plus, and a Fargen amp based on a Deluxe Reverb, when I got my Lazy J.  With the power scaling option the Lazy J will do home, and with 20W and a Celestion Blue it will be as loud, if not louder, than a DRRI for gigging.  To my ears it sounds better than either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom