NRD.. - Take 2

What's Hot

Comments

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    No, not the GCX, just the Control Switcher:

I'm sure I'll miss the flexibility of patches, but I do like the instant "tweak ability" of pedals and an amp.. much easier to just change things on the fly as I fancy than having to go through screens of menus all the time. I know you gig with a real amp as well so I know you appreciate that side of things.

I've been looking at the Joyo switcher, looks cool for the price and will do the amp switching all at the same time:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Ah right, yes I get you.

I keep my amp rig simple enough to not have to to require a switcher- it is less options but it is manageable.
    The CAA switcher is just two buttons.
    Can you simplify down to a two button footswitch (to give you 3 channels) for the Mark V?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yea, that's all I would need. I'm not too bothered about all the other stuff. I'm sure I could get someone to knock one up for me, or there is one that goes on Ebay in the USA. 

edited October 2013
    edited October 2013
    I'll probably try to get one made locally..

What I should really do is just simplify my rig, that's why I wanted to go back to valves again.. I think I keep trying to get every pedal I own on my pedal board wether I plan on using it or not :(
    I reckon working out what you need and building to that is the way to go.
    I only need 3 channels- clean, rtm and lead.

If you need the EQ, solo and the reverb to switch in and out then go with the original switch.
    It is a monster though.

The Mark V looks amazing- even though I don't need another high gain head I am still really tempted by it.
    It's seems really good from my initial in home noodling with it. Still working the channels out but it's super flexible. 
    Well, that was short lived, he's bringing the AxeFX back today.. he didn't like it. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited October 2013
    Gutted dude. If I'm honest I kinda suspected that would happen. Putting a Mark V and the Axe FX next to each other... not much of a contest in my opinion. One is going to take him quite literally months to get to grips with, the other is pretty much instant plug and play gratification, which is what the vast majority of guitarists want.
    To be honest he's been a bit of a pain since day 1 so I'm not sorry to see it reverted. Also found a few issues with the Mark V I wasn't happy with so was going to probably back out myself. 

I did warn him that it would take more than a day to get comfortable with it but he reverted after just 1 day. 

Yeah I get ya. Most guitarists have a sort of perverse interest in replacing all their valve gear with digital modelling, but they're never quite happy. Gear Page digital modelling section is total testament to that.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Am I the only one that thinks that there's something wrong if you can't get at least *something* usable out of a piece of gear straight away - even if it's not the sound you were looking for?

I know that given a vast number of parameters it's always going to be possible to create sounds that are very different from anything conventional, but surely it shouldn't be necessary to spend weeks getting intimately familiar with editing before you can create something you even like...

I'm not singling out this unit in particular, but it seems very common with digital modelling in general - even those players who do spend the time to painstakingly dial them in and think they're happy with the result can quite often suddenly revert when given a valve amp again.

I'm certainly not a luddite, and I'm happy to spend a lot of time finely tuning sounds - for several years I used a multi-FX unit as my main sound generator (this particular one had analogue distortion, even) and thought I was very happy with the sounds... until one day just before a gig the foot controller broke - I didn't have time to fix it, so I borrowed three Boss pedals and used the overdrive channel on my amp. I never went back to the multi-FX.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What issues did you have with the Mark V, Si?
    There was a fault with the foot switch, the cable was knackered so EQ button didn't work, also when playing the cable would wiggle out of the socket on the amp and everything would drop to defaults. You can to be very careful how you laid it to stop it and I can see it causing problems live. 

The amp it's self sounded good from the small amount of time I had with it. 
    ICBM said:
    Am I the only one that thinks that there's something wrong if you can't get at least *something* usable out of a piece of gear straight away - even if it's not the sound you were looking for?

I know that given a vast number of parameters it's always going to be possible to create sounds that are very different from anything conventional, but surely it shouldn't be necessary to spend weeks getting intimately familiar with editing before you can create something you even like...

I'm not singling out this unit in particular, but it seems very common with digital modelling in general - even those players who do spend the time to painstakingly dial them in and think they're happy with the result can quite often suddenly revert when given a valve amp again.

I'm certainly not a luddite, and I'm happy to spend a lot of time finely tuning sounds - for several years I used a multi-FX unit as my main sound generator (this particular one had analogue distortion, even) and thought I was very happy with the sounds... until one day just before a gig the foot controller broke - I didn't have time to fix it, so I borrowed three Boss pedals and used the overdrive channel on my amp. I never went back to the multi-FX.
    There is something to be said about the "five knobs and that's yer lot" approach (no jokes Jim!) ... I find even with VST's (which don't have as many parameters as the Axe FX) I still end up tweaking, trying out various combinations of impulse responses, etc.. etc...

Something really nice and simple about plugging into an amp and cab with a mic in front of it.

I keep wanting to try out one of the Blackstar ID100TVP's coz they could be the best of both worlds.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited October 2013
    Si_ said:
    There was a fault with the foot switch, the cable was knackered so EQ button didn't work, also when playing the cable would wiggle out of the socket on the amp and everything would drop to defaults. You can to be very careful how you laid it to stop it and I can see it causing problems live. 

Sounds like problems with that particular unit rather than a design issue?  A shame if they traded you it with a knackered cable/socket they'd known about.  But I guess it doesn't matter anymore if you're swapping back.

What are you going to do next?  Try another amp or stick with the Axe FX2?
    Not sure yet
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    GigRig Dan just posted a vid on how his G2 unit can control amp switching functions, specifically with a MkV
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIS8ccqvAkw&feature=youtu.be&a
  • FreddieVanHalenFreddieVanHalen Frets: 954
    edited March 2014
    Si_ said:

Sounds like problems with that particular unit rather than a design issue?  A shame if they traded you it with a knackered cable/socket they'd known about.  But I guess it doesn't matter anymore if you're swapping back.

What are you going to do next?  Try another amp or stick with the Axe FX2?

There is a known issue with the Mark V cable connector on the back of the amp - they have to be fitted into the socket *just* right otherwise the EQ button on the f/s doesn't work. It seems to happen when the cable pulls the plug downwards - it's easily solved by routing the cable through the handle on top of the amp.

The plug coming completely out of the socket never happened to mine though.

Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    So what are you going for now that you've sold the Axe FX? :)