Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Strymon Big Sky reverb

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_fx said:
    lol. At that point I would be way better off getting an Axe FX ;)
    No way. With these, you get a SHARC in every pedal. That's more, innit? :D
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    ehehehehe.
  • It says it's studio quality reverb...

... So what is a studio reverb, and just how bloomin expensive is it?!

When I see the price of these, I often wonder if a rack reverb might be cheaper and just as good? Less versatile perhaps, but maybe a different option...
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    We're going to have to get bigger boards at this rate. What with the strymon möbius, timeline and now the bigsky. What else are they bringing out in that format . You've gotta really love your reverb to buy one of those though :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Drew_fx said:
    Not the M9/M13 killer I was hoping for! ehehehe.

@Drew_fx .. you think the Line 5 M13 sounds better?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Nah I just mean I've been waiting for someone to come out with a really good MFX that rivals the Line 6 units - Strymon haven't done it yet!

Although if you go by some videos, there isn't that much difference between them in terms of quality:

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    I think the möbius has
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Wow, that m9 sounds pretty excellent! Miles closer to the time line than I thought...

I don't even use reverb, but the big sky makes me want it.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited October 2013
    Drew_fx said:
    Nah I just mean I've been waiting for someone to come out with a really good MFX that rivals the Line 6 units - Strymon haven't done it yet!

Although if you go by some videos, there isn't that much difference between them in terms of quality:

I'm extremely suspicious of this, I owned the M series and the el capistan and used them live on and off foabout a year. The tape delays on the M9 really dont come close, on the video the annoying top end shrill-ness isnt as apparant but its absolutely obvious at gig volume. And the multi head is absolute bollocks.

The line 6 analog w/ mod setting is lovely though. 
    I think recordings speak louder than words, but yes, it isn't an exactly scientific test. All that can be said is that in some cases, the M9 comes very close and can even "beat" the sounds of the Timeline.
  • I've never tried to set feedback etc. so high on M effects. Having just watched the videos above I put my POD HD500 in the loop of my amp and had a play with delay and reverb effects. By crikey one can make some gorgeous ambient nonsense. Spent the last half hour in a cloud of meandering pillow-soft noodling. 

For some reason I thought you'd gotten rid of the HD500 Harry. You decided to keep it in the end?
  • Drew_fx said:
    For some reason I thought you'd gotten rid of the HD500 Harry. You decided to keep it in the end?
    Yes. I don't use it very much these days. But I kept it because (a) one footswitch is slightly unreliable (b) last time I sold anything on ebay it was a complete pain in the arse thanks to some scamming bastard. Much as I wish I hadn't sold my M13 to get the HD500 I feel it's easier to keep hold of it now.

Right. I would've kept my HD500 if it didn't have a gap of silence when changing patches. Worked quite well to midi control my amp! Going back to an M13 myself.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wonder how it stacks up against the eventide space. I would like to see a demo of that. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • That's not a particularly big surprise, though. Unless I'm mis-reading their tech info, it's internally identical to the Timeline but with different firmware, so it was always going to be about the same price.
    <space for hire>
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Drew_fx said:
    I think recordings speak louder than words, but yes, it isn't an exactly scientific test. All that can be said is that in some cases, the M9 comes very close and can even "beat" the sounds of the Timeline.
    I don't really believe in scientific comparison to be honest when were dealing with something so subjective to personal taste. Two pedals might have very similar spec but "feel" very different in person. http://tindeck.com/listen/zzxi That's a comparison I made of an el capistan, flashback and line 6 multi head. I wasn't trying to be scientific, I was just experimenting to see which one I liked the most before I sold them, they've all got their own personality.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited October 2013
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Branshen said:
    My fav ambient guitarist just picked this up!

I would have put money on one of those appearing on Andy's board sometime soon. I'll give it a watch at lunch