yamha replacement tuners

What's Hot
imaloneimalone Frets: 748
edited October 2013 in Guitar
I'd been thinking of putting a set of new tuners on a yamaha 112 (6-in-line, modern). There are no screw-tags on the current ones, so I'm guessing they have fixing pins. Does anyone know if that's right and whether the fixing pins on wilkinson versions have the right positioning? E.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-in-line-E-Z-LOK-Wilkinson-WJ-807-guitar-tuners-No4-/130607722533
Also, I'm not set on EZ-lock style, would be quite happy with normal ones. In fact, might be happier with normal ones as I like having the waist on them to guide winding. What I'm after is a more secure feel and possibly higher gearing: the ones I've got at the moment have a bit of travel, maybe due to wear, but they stay in tune fine. It's time spent getting them tuned that's the issue. So if anyone has suggestions for other makes that are worthwhile I'm all ears.
Edit: proof, if it were needed, that life is better in Oz: http://www.pure-tone.com/wilkinson-2-prong-hex-knob-chrome-machine-heads/ two-prong, single post hole Wilkinsons, 18:1. Unfortunately can't find them in the UK. Fender tuners also seem to have the two prong system, but have lower gearing and you pay a premium for having 'F' on them (wouldn't mind paying more if I thought they'd be an improvement, but not convinced).
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Irritatingly, none of the technical drawings seem ever to show the essential dimensions, but I reckon the Wilkinson No 3's are the Yamaha pin dimensions :  http://www.chguitars.co.uk/tuners/guitar-6-in-line/no3-wilkinson-locking-guitar-tuners-469.html
    The Fender's have the pins around 3mm further away from the centre of the post.

Anyone concur?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    ...and the Number 4's (just the knob is different)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    edited October 2013
    Thanks, useful to know about the different spacing for the Fenders (weird the after-market spacing is different, since this design is only really useful if it's a drop-in replacement). Looks like 10mm spacing between the pins and about 8.5mm from the middle of the post to the pins. (There's a marker for the post mid-line.)
    The Australian guys seem to post internationally, I might get in touch with them about measurements.
    Australians haven't got back to me (antipodeans...) I may just get the E-Z-lok wilkinsons then, the distance I need isn't marked on the drawing for them, but measuring from the drawings looks right. NW guitars seem to do a normal concave-profile tuner the same dimensions, but it's 15:1 rather than 18:1. Is that going to be a noticeable difference? I'm not really averse to E-Z-lok but do quite like the normal capstan profile.
    Most recent development. The "No.4" (WJ-807) is apparently discontinued, so unless I want them in gold I might have to get the no. 3 and change buttons. JHS have put me onto Ivor Mairants as the most likely to still have any.
    The Ozzies never did get back, but they seem to be selling up, so maybe they have other things on their minds.

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    IIRC, Axetec do some that match the Yamaha specs.
    daveyh said:
    IIRC, Axetec do some that match the Yamaha specs.
    They fit the tuner holes (most will), but would need holes drilled for the mounting screws which I'm a bit averse to. I've also persuaded myself I do want a higher gear ratio now (because, why make life simple?). If I do have to drill mounting holes the options become a lot more numerous.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    I've found the yamaha ones to be good,ok low tuning ratio but they held the tuning well.
    grungebob said:
    I've found the yamaha ones to be good,ok low tuning ratio but they held the tuning well.
    It's not really the stability, which I think is good, but this guitar is (I think - 2nd hand) from 2007 and there's a bit of wobble on the pegs when not strung and some play/travel when tuning, they're just a bit worn.