Bass cab questions for an Ampeg SVT

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    It doesn't really matter as long as both are connected to the amp and it's set for 2 ohms. It is always slightly better to connect both directly to the amp rather than daisy-chaining though, since it's more reliable - if you're daisy-chaining and the first cable fails or gets pulled out, you lose the entire load on the amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you got it yet? How does it sound?
  • MosfedMosfed Frets: 25
    Nah - not yet.  Should come between today and tomorrow.  Can't wait.

I promise to report!
  • Please do! I love a good ampeg! 
    I will be using at our studio rehearsal on Sunday so that will be a good place to evaluate.  Most likely, I'll just be using the Heritage 4x10 with it and not the 15 just yet.

You will have my report by Monday!
  • How is it?!?!?!
    Hey dude

I guess you didn't see the TOTAL FAIL that ended up being posted in another thread.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/64628#Comment_64628

Worth reading if you want a chuckle at my and my wallet's expense.

In the end, it all went back and I just got a 2001 SVT made in the US today.  On my way home to check it out!
  • Ah maaaaan! you have had a pretty rough ride there! hope you get it sorted soon pal! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the thought. In the end, I'd say it worked out pretty well. Even with the cabs included. I tested the SVT tonight at low volume and my lord does it have a ton of juice! I think I ended up with a better amp for substantially less. The bse-410 might not be as good as the svt heritage cab but it will do fine for now.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I'm late to the party here but was going to chime in to say that the closest you get to the SVT810E as a sealed cab whilst still retaining some portability is a pair of the SVT410HE - they're both sealed and in terms of construction there's little between them and the SVT810E which is pretty much built as separate sealed units internally.  The HLF cabs (I have the 610) are great sounding but have a lot less mid content and a lot more low end extension than the sealed 810.  Still a great sound, just a different one.

Enjoy your new amp though - I love the sound of the big SVT heads, just can't be bothered with the carry and the valve cost these days.  If I was rolling in it, I'd definitely be playing through one!
    You know - I have struggled with the BSE-410HLF that I have.  Too boomy and muddy.  I keep turning it up and find that it lacks definition.  I really wish they made the HEs in 4ohms so I could use two when I needed them and 1 when impossible to use two.

I am thinking of looking at other makers like Bergantino, Zilla or Avatar
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    This is probably what you should look at, especially given your not having transport…

Check out the "'69er".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MaxiMaxi Frets: 13
    Re the O.P
    4x10's sound good ...in some ways better than the 8 , i found that the 4X10 were better in rehearsal situations where the room is as you would expect (smaller) but on stage not so good . 
    Its also useful to remember that most 8X10s are easy to move and position even for one person ,they have wheels that contact the ground when you tilt the cab and a kick plate so you can move it around like a sack barrow .
    Now if you want to get that deep husky svt tone I'd say go with the 8X10 and keep on good terms with who ever is available to help you deliver the amp .
    I used the SVT and 8X10 set up for a few years , cant be beat and dont even think about getting a 1X15 + 4X10 set up , I used that setup for a few years prier all the 15" speaker does it rob the head of useful power by creating useless sub lows notes disappear less focused etc .
    Flown the nest .
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    ICBM;75277" said:
    This is probably what you should look at, especially given your not having transport…

http://barefacedaudio.com

Check out the "'69er".
    This. Absolutely brilliant stuff and Alex who runs the show is very knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with.
    I wish they had a picture of the 69er. I am having trouble picturing it. I will ask Alex to send me one. It is the sound I am going for. 

The other main options I am thinking about are Bergantino, the Ampeg SVT 410HLF, the SWR Goliath 3 in a 4 ohm (my man Chris Wood swears by them and he was killing it with mine on Friday and Sat at Ronnie Scotts).
    mike257 said:
    ICBM;75277" said:

http://barefacedaudio.com

Check out the "'69er".
    This. Absolutely brilliant stuff and Alex who runs the show is very knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with.