IronGear vs Seymour Duncan

What's Hot
daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682
Okay so I have two Fernandes Ravelles, one has SD JB and SD Jazz, the other has IronGear Dirty Torque and Blues Engine, originally that had JB and Jazz too. Originally I swapped those out for Tonerider Alnico IIs. I was much happier but recently wanted something with more clout. Anyway I did a comparison of the Dirty Torque (JB Spec) and Blues Engine (Jazz spec) against the Sd JB and Jazz. Guess which won? IronGears hands down. Tighter bass, screaming mids and sweet top end. Didn't expect that.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have SD Alnico II pros in my main Les Paul, and Iron Gear Tesla Sharks (their copy of those) in my backup guitar. They sound pretty identical. Again, the iron gear perhaps a little tighter at the bottom end? Needless to say I'm never buying a pair of SDs again.

So there is no surprise here, but have a wow anyway because I do think it is impressive for the price point :)

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Are SD still made in USA though? Thats where the 'quality' and price come from compared to MIC pickups
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I took a punt on a Blues Engine. Not installed it yet.

After this review I'm looking forward to it :)
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    I've swapped out SD's for Irongears in a few of my guitars and never been happier with the results. They're not just good for the money, they're good full stop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • doinkdoink Frets: 2
    I recently had the the Dirty Torque/Blues Engine combo in one of my Lp's. They were great but not quite my sound so i swapped them out for a set of Tesla Sharks. They are fantastic for Rock. I couldn't recommend anything else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    Essentially its just wire wrapped around some magnets with some plastic stuck on either end.....
    Its NOT magic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I'm quite a fan of the Blues Engine in particular, it's one of my favourite neck pickups regardless of price.  Not such a fan of the Dirty Torque - it's a good humbucker, just has nothing 'special' about it to me.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72250
    daveyh said:
    Guess which won? IronGears hands down. Tighter bass, screaming mids and sweet top end. Didn't expect that.
    This is exactly why I like (most) Duncans and don't like any Irongears I've heard.

I prefer looser/deeper bass to 'tight', I hate 'screaming' mids and I prefer sparkle and edge rather than 'sweet' top-end.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682
    I'm after that recent period Slash type sound so this is what I was after. I was shocked that the supposingly similar species pickups could sound so different.
    ICBM said:
    daveyh said:
    Guess which won? IronGears hands down. Tighter bass, screaming mids and sweet top end. Didn't expect that.
    This is exactly why I like (most) Duncans and don't like any Irongears I've heard.

I prefer looser/deeper bass to 'tight', I hate 'screaming' mids and I prefer sparkle and edge rather than 'sweet' top-end.

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3963
    Anyone tried the Iron Gear Tele pickups?
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Or their Volt actives?
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2391
    Not yet, but the pig irons are superb.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682
    Yeah, I've got one of the Steel Twin v1 sets. Very nice indeed, had them mistaken by a producer for something boutique
    Anyone tried the Iron Gear Tele pickups?

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Yeah - I thought they were pretty darn good!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    Gotta love the Hot Slag for classic rock/metal and the Jailhouse Rail which is a bit grittier sounding. I'm also impressed with the Smoke Stack II's in both humbucking and tapped modes.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10266
    I had a Hot Slag in an Epi Les Paul and it sounded fantastic.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2320
    I have a p90 alchemist and a blues engine in a guitar and they are a superb combo.

Also had a set of pig irons before and they were as great, I've owned over 20 sets of handwound strat pickups and these were as good as any of them.
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    I'd be interested in trying one of their humbuckers but all their bridge designs seem to be 52mm spacing whilst my guitar has 50mm spacing at the bridge......

....or have I missed something here?
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2391
    Makes very little difference to be honest, the magnets' field will still pickup (pun intended) the strings' vibrations, I regularly use old 70's dimarzio 50mm on floyd rose equipped guits with no audible difference.
    Or just chuck in a neck bucker :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72250
    It makes no difference, especially if the pickup spacing is wider than the strings. If the string spacing is *much* wider than the pickup so that the E strings don't pass over any part of the polepieces you can sometimes get a slightly weaker sound, but as long as any part of the pole - even the very edge - is under the string it will work exactly the same as if it's dead centre.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein