Evenlode Guitars.

What's Hot

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    Absolutely brilliant James, well done Sir! I would love to do a Luthier course, maybe one day. There is a short build a guitar course near me, a 7 day intensive thing, might look into it to get some foundation skills under my belt.

Once again, excellent work
    :)
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited September 2015
    • I've been absent from this thread for a bit as nothing has been happening on the guitar building front due to being between houses and workshop-less. That is no more.
      We are moved in and unpacked. I've had a massive unload of junk and now the workshop is ready to be stocked up with heavy bits of machinery.
      Got a great deal from Axminster on the major pieces. I have the following going it (probably only of interest to other builder snap tool geeks)
      Axminster Trade Series AT3202FDP Floor Pillar Drill
      Jet JWBS-16X Bandsaw
      Jet 22-44 OSC Oscillating Drum Sander
      Jet JPT-260 Planer Thicknesser
      Jet JDS-12 300mm Disc Sander
      UJK Technology Professional Router Table Cast Iron with 10mm Aluminium Router Table Insert
      Trend T11EK Router (1/2")
      Sjobergs Elite 2000 Bench 
      Numatic NV750 Workshop Vacuum Extractor
      Axminster Trade Series T-2000CK 1hp Cyclone Extractor

Everything arrives in a week or two and I have the enviable job of installing it all.
      Need to put in a couple of 16A power sockets in the workshop.

Room is 22' x 13'- big enough for me to work in, certainly.
      I could do with another clean room- there is an outbuilding connected to the garages that I can apply for planning permission to develop.
      Will probably get onto that early next year.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    Congratulations on the new spot. Looks great!
    Will you be keeping the carpet?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Octatonic did you move house specifically to get your guitar building business up and running?
    DamianP said:
    I haven't decided yet- what is your view?

It will keep the workshop warmer and make the equipment easier to move around but it will be dustier as well as be harder to clean (hoover rather than sweep).
    I was probably going to keep it for a bit and then if it doesn't work take it out.
    None of the equipment is too heavy for me to move around by myself.
    Octatonic did you move house specifically to get your guitar building business up and running?
    It was a whole bunch of reasons- I was sick of London, wanted to get out to the countryside anyway.
    Cycling, motorbiking, dog walking, hiking and all that- so much better out here.

We thought about going further out but still within the M25 but didn't find anything we liked and we still wouldn't have had enough space.

We are just the other side of Oxford, which for most people isn't an easy commute (although people do it).
    Neither of us work in central London, so it works.
    Janet's commute went up from 35 minutes to 45 minutes- but she is doing double the miles.
    Much nicer drive too.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    octatonic said:
    It was a whole bunch of reasons- I was sick of London, wanted to get out to the countryside anyway.
    Cycling, motorbiking, dog walking, hiking and all that- so much better out here.

We thought about going further out but still within the M25 but didn't find anything we liked and we still wouldn't have had enough space.

We are just the other side of Oxford, which for most people isn't an easy commute (although people do it).
    Janet's commute went up from 35 minutes to 45 minutes- but she is doing double the miles.
    Much nicer drive too.

Ah right, fair enough.  I was looking through this thread and thought it was maybe to set up your guitar business.  
    octatonic said:

Much nicer drive too.

Ah right, fair enough.  I was looking through this thread and thought it was maybe to set up your guitar business.  
    It was a major factor but it wasn't the only reason- I could have set up in London and done some sort of shared workshop space, or build a workshop in the shed.

It wouldn't have addressed all the other things that we wanted from country life though, so we sold up and moved out here.
    If I was doing repairs I'd be better off staying in London- more customers and such.

• DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    octatonic;750372" said:
    DamianP said:

It will keep the workshop warmer and make the equipment easier to move around but it will be dustier as well as be harder to clean (hoover rather than sweep).I was probably going to keep it for a bit and then if it doesn't work take it out.None of the equipment is too heavy for me to move around by myself.
    I'd take it out. It will get clogged with dust in no time.
    Who has time for hoovering?

• WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    DamianP said:
    octatonic;750372" said:
    DamianP said:

It will keep the workshop warmer and make the equipment easier to move around but it will be dustier as well as be harder to clean (hoover rather than sweep).I was probably going to keep it for a bit and then if it doesn't work take it out.None of the equipment is too heavy for me to move around by myself.
    I'd take it out. It will get clogged with dust in no time.
    Who has time for hoovering?

I would cut it up and keep sections for your main work areas.  easier to take outside to beat the dust out   Its much easier standing on a soft surface for long periods of time
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    And carpet traps the dust and stops it floating around so much.  On a smooth un-carpeted floor the dust accumulates and floats around a lot.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    octatonic said:
    ... and one of all the Tele's made by this year's students.

Can you please explain to these here students that they have failed to install the correct 3 brass saddles style bridge on some of them teles!!!!
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    In all seriousness, well done, beautiful work - good luck with everything   
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30893
    I wholly applude this.

The only other things Australia have ever made are the Rotary Clothes Line and Vegemite.

James- might I suggest, in order to celebate history that you call it

The 60 All Out.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    None of my history is celibate.
    edited September 2015
    Update:

So I've moved into the new workshop and slowly filling it up with machinery and tools.
    I still have quite a bit more to do- I've moved all the hand tools out while I sort out the larger pieces of kit and sorting storage.
    Probably still a month or so away from being able to build.

I've decided on a company name, which is Evenlode Guitars.

The River Evenlode is just around the corner from me and I like the sound of it- I would have built under my surname but there is already a company called Richmond Guitars, they are a subsidiary of Godin so I had to think of something else.

Some pics of the new workshop:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • very nice workshop
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Very nice! You're going to have to change the name of this thread :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • just one flaw: I can't see the laptop there, how are you going to distract yourself all day properly without constant access to this forum?
    just one flaw: I can't see the laptop there, how are you going to distract yourself all day properly without constant access to this forum?

Photos take with workshop iPad/music controller/instructional video watcher/general timewasting device. :)