J Collingridge - a full report in progress.

What's Hot

Comments

• I've just Googled 'J Collingridge', and shockingly four out of the five hits include the word 'scammer'.
    those suggested searches on google are interesting...  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Jonathan Collingridge? A scammer? Well I never...
    Stop crying, start buying
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    digitalscream;789255" said:

The police are very interested in that one, it seems...

Oh hello, have Plod got involved at last then?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Hopefully he gets sent down!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • At the moment, he is the complainant. The police are responding to that and making investigations. 

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Heartfeltdawn;790950" said:
    At the moment, he is the complainant. The police are responding to that and making investigations. 
    Oh the irony. Hope it all backfires on the twat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Ladies and gentlemen, 

On Monday 14 September a new user signed up to Ebay. He signed up at 1.03am. By 1.14am he had purchased a CD from me for under a fiver. By 1.18am he had run an Ebay user requests form which gave him my telephone number. The username "rope-jef" and jeffroper49@gmail.com address were indistinct. He gave a Bristol address so I asked him if he wished to collect. I was deeply suspicious of JCon. I'd left bad feedback for him over the March scam attempt. We agreed on Wednesday 16th September for him to collect. He didn't show. He contacts me on Friday to apologise and I say I will organise another day. 

Earlier this week the Thames Valley Police attempted to contact me and failed courtesy of my phone being off. I am yet to hear from them. They got through to Digitalscream after they called me. That they had my number made me intensely suspicious. I was sure it was my Ebay user "Jeff Roper" but had no proof. 

So I refunded him fully. He emails me and asks why. I told him I felt it had run its course but if he really wanted it, I would be hapy to bring it to him in person. He agreed and Saturday morning at 10am was our arranged date. 

He emailed me this morning at 2.11am to say his grandmother had died and he wouldn't be around. He offered to repay the listing fee. I refused this and sent him an email expressing my sympathies for his loss and that, rather than repaying a listing fee, I would much rather he went to my website and upvoted some of my music videos there. 

My non-blog has been going since April with Statcounter installed for some time. Tonight I got a hit. I doubt any of you would be surprised to learn that it came from Chesham, on a Virgin Media connection, with an IP address that matched at least 10 profiles belonging to JC here at the Fretboard and I imagine will also match the IP address of the person who posted this at Basschat. 

(open this in a new tab to see clearly)

So this is the situation. J Collingridge appears to have complained to the police about harassment and us saying he is a scammer. This despite him having tried to scam people here, me on Ebay, numerous legacy scams on other forums, and the Lenses for Hire incident. He complains about harassment despite his ridiculous Basschat post and now that he is screwing with me on Ebay by purchasing things from me under a false name, address, and telephone number. 

I shall repeat what I said in that long PM (sorry, Tony!) thread. Everyone who sent money to Collingridge needs to write a statement with as much evidence as possible supporting it. Digitalscream has talked to the police, I'm still waiting. If I do get to speak to PC Bevan, then I will get a contact address and email address. When i do, I want to hit him with as much stuff as possible from as many people as possible. I would like a real 'strength in numbers' approach so that hopefully we can finally close the lid on the Poundland Mario Testino for good. 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You are a very, very clever man @Heartfeltdawn
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moss said:
    You are a very, very clever man @Heartfeltdawn
    @Moss thank you for the generous words.

It's more that he is fundamentally stupid. For example, when we arranged to meet this Saturday, he gave me a mobile number that didn't much the mobile number he registered with on the 14th of this month. "Jeff Roper" made the same spelling mistakes as JCon (sadly no !! occurred but there were the telltale spaces at the end of sentences before a question mark). I'd noted from his Facebook and Twitter activities in the past that JCon likes operating at night: over 75% of Jeff's messages to me were after 11pm with the latest coming at 2.11am. 

I thought I'd simply try a long shot and see if he'd visit my blog. I didn't think he'd be that stupid. I was wrong. He is that stupid. 

And here is a conundrum. JCon/Jeff Roper left me positive feedback. I have the opportunity to leave him feedback. Do I go for the traditional "J Collingbridge photographer and scammer" or jazz it up a bit? 

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    How did you get him to buy the CD?
  • Moss said:
    How did you get him to buy the CD?
    He bought it freely. See, back in March when he tried ripping me off on Ebay, I left negative feedback on his profile. I think he's gone back through that profile, seen my username, and figured out that I'm one of the bastards on this forum who exposed him. So he's waited for me to sell something cheap and bought it purely so he can run an Ebay user search request to gain my telephone number. By then asking later if he can pick up in person, he gets my home address. 

So yeah, he's actually been quite smart by his standards. The problem was that I was onto him within minutes. I emailed Binge when I saw who had bought this damn CD at 1.14am and voiced my suspicions. Everything about the transaction seemed dubious form the name, email, time of purchase, the search request, even the fact that he told me that he paid by credit card. Who the fuck buys a CD after 1am in the morning with a credit card? 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wow - I thought I was clever for getting into his Twitter using a architect friend's account...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Moss Try finding out his actual home address from cached Gumtree ads. That Google Maps bit isn't entirely inactive... ;)

• I'm sure we have his home address amongst these pages somewhere

Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
  • ellangus said:
    I'm sure we have his home address amongst these pages somewhere

There's one that has been very public but that's not his real address. 

• "Jeff" aka JCon emailed me again last night just after midnight to thank me for being so considerate. Ahem. 

At 2am, my blog received a number of hits within a 40 second boundary. The ISP is not JCon's usual one but the browser, operating system, and screen resolution all matched his usual details. It looks like he is now trying for a new host and server. 

Mods, it might be an idea to keep an eye out for any sign ups last night and over the course of this weekend from that IP address and/or from Areti Internet Ltd. 

His old www.jcollingridge.com website now redirects to www.archography.com. The jcollingridge.com WhoIS details were updated earlier this month (and no that isn't his real address). WhoIS also says that jcollingridge.co.uk is suspended so that looks like a no-show now. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The net closes. :)

Well done on the clever detective work @Heartfeltdawn.
  • danodano Frets: 1568
    This is great detective work, but by exposing the trap you're going to get people now clicking on your blog after reading this thread so you'll get a lot of spurious results now.

• @dano Not a problem. I used to have my terrible guitar pedal demos linked in my signature. Anyone coming to that link via the Fretboard was easy to track as Statcounter gave me the referring link. In 9 months I had just over 200 hits. 

My blog gets no publicity, I haven't got the link up here, and it's had not exactly a rush of traffic during its existence. The usual visitors (four of my friends) have already had their home and work IP addresses logged and verified with them yesterday (I used them and Mr Bingefeller to test that Statcounter was working properly before dropping the bait out to Collingridge). 

What happens now isn't that important. What is important is that I've managed to get that IP address yesterday as it links all of those dodgy profiles on the Fretboard to the Ebay user who tried to scam me in March to the elusive "Jeff Roper" who bought my CD this September. 

It's kind of like the Fingland case. We had the IP address of the dodgy profiles but we needed to check it against a profile that we knew to be Ross. When Ross visited as himself, it was the thing that linked everything together, all the various profiles to himself. 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27345

Mods, it might be an idea to keep an eye out for any sign ups last night and over the course of this weekend from that IP address and/or from Areti Internet Ltd. 

mikebrad - mbradshaw99922@gmail.com signed up at 0255 today from that IP. 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom