Holy cow! Not sure if this is under effects or amps...

What's Hot
Only just realised AMT have 2 channel versions of their modelling preamps.  Basically, an analogue pedal sized thang that works as a distortion/character pedal, plus has 2 more outputs, one for a mixer/sound card and one for a PA (I think?).

They have 2 channels, the first is the clean which is the same for all pedals and is 'influenced' by generic Fender tones.  Has a button to get a wee bit of grit, and sounds pretty fat and warm.  Usable - yes.  Nice? I think so!

The second channel models the gain channel of another amp - from 5150/6505 to Bognor Uberschall to a Marshall JCM800.  

Brett here - This one is a rectifier http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOs9Mux5oDA

Sounds ace!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I think @Digitalscream is a big fan of these. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12648
    When he is going to let the wasps out of that there jam jar?

Sorry not impressed with the DI sound one bit and its more than a little 'tizzy' through the Fender amp.

And the Palmer amp... erm.

Not my bag, baby.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Wow, really? I thought it sounded pretty ace! Easily a gig backup, and possibly even just a gigging amp if there is a pa.

Obviously it's not as nice as the real thing, but I thought it sounded pretty excellent. The Bognor one is my fave.
  • A Legend Series 2 pedal has been on my wish list for a while.

The R2 doesn't convince me though as a Recto type for direct, the FX return option sounds closer to something I'd believe as being a Recto, but then again I think most emulations/Recto pedals miss the mark by a fair bit (except the Kemper/Axe but that is a totally different product and price range).  

It is hard to tell from the video (as I'm skimming through) but it looks like the treble control only changes the high end, which is different to the real amp where the treble control essentially controls the whole tone.  I was more impressed by clips of the S2 and P2 personally.  I wish UK distributors would stock them, as it stands Thomann is the only place I know you can get them from.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    edited October 2013
    I got the AMT SS-11A after digitalscream's recommendation. Fantastic DI recording pedal - best solution I have found and I have tried a good number. Sounded a bit ratty when it arrived. I switched the Russian valves for a couple of old Mullards and it was utterly transformed. 

Still sounds vile in front of an amp. 

• I think @Digitalscream is a big fan of these. 
    Aye, that I am. I've got the C2, and it's pretty damn amazing:

The cab sim out is good enough to send to the PA if you need an emergency backup. However, feed the preamp output into a recording interface, apply some decent cab impulses and you'll have a much better sound than anything I've had from a POD HD or Eleven Rack.
    <space for hire>
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591
    edited October 2013
    Err, 
    would people tell us what they are listening to these clips thru please? 
    PC speakers the size of beer cans are really not good enough you know.

In any case, raw, unprocessed distorted guitar TENDS  to sound bad when not in a mix. There is a bit of art and experience needed to judge it. (No! I can't! D A  A  P me).

Dave. Just had a harken. Quite trebly to me even without my aids in. Listening via a 2496 into Tannoy 5a's

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26459
    edited October 2013
    ecc83 said:
    Err, 

In any case, raw, unprocessed distorted guitar TENDS  to sound bad when not in a mix. There is a bit of art and experience needed to judge it. (No! I can't! D A  A  P me).

Dave. Just had a harken. Quite trebly to me even without my aids in. Listening via a 2496 into Tannoy 5a's

Yup - the cab sim out can be a tad harsh (noticeable using Sennheiser HD201s or Tannoy Reveal passives), but trust me when I say that using the preamp out into an appropriate impulse fixes that. For reference, I use the C2 direct into the RedWirez free impulses (4x12" G12M cabs). If you're recording (which is a big use case for these things), using a high-pass filter to taste sorts out any fizz anyway.

If anything, I found the low-end slightly harder to control on the C2.
    <space for hire>
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited October 2013
    ecc83 said:
    Err, 

Pair of ATH M50 headphones.  I have heard a lot of isolated guitar clips through these headphones and own a Rectifier Roadster head.

I agree that unprocessed distorted guitar can sound bad out of a mix but I honestly don't think that R2 direct demo sounds good or convincing as a Rectifier.  It is more fizzy than I'd expect and the 'meat' of the tone doesn't sound right.  The other pedals tend to sound better in his demos IMO.  I've heard a few good clips with the P and S variants.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    I had the Vox one in the past (it went to another forum member, although I can't recall who) - it was very good, especially into a loop or impulse responses as mentioned above.  I would have kept it, but I had other gear that covered the same ground (i.e. Lightning into a reactive load box and into IR's - not really a fair comparision!)
  • Sennheiser hd 215s here. Sounds fine! Yeah, bit fizzy, but it's a get out of jail free card for gigs, and it's pretty easy to dial out top end fizz. The pod farm models are all the same, but put an eq post model with the high end cut and things change a lot, revealing a much more amp like sound.

I think it sounds pretty decent. If an amp blew up at a gig, this seems a really good alternative - and it doesn't suffer any more than any other pedal from a DI perspective.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 554

I bet I could make it sound much worse!

Compared with the high gain sounds that I seem to be able to muster using all manner of pedals it sounds pretty good.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited October 2013
    Sounds utterly terrible going direct. Sounds REALLY good going through the Fender return. Sounds AWFUL through the Palmer.

I do wonder if you could put together a decent rig with something like one of these and a EHX44, or even a lightweight poweramp like the Matrix stuff.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited October 2013
    Fair enough as a get out of jail card.  It wouldn't work for my needs as I need a second gain channel, so I currently have a HT Dual for that reason as my backup + direct if needed option.

I'd be interested in the P2 or S2 as a different sounding high gain preamp to use with my Roadster power section for recording.  I've no idea how the two would sound together.  For all intents and purposes the P1 definitely sounded like a 5150 pre amp when paired with a 5150 [6505] power amp, as demonstrated in this video.  FWIW I picked out the real amp on headphones but I reckon for the money the P1 sounds close here -

I have actually heard of people using a P2 into a 6505 FX retun instead of the real preamp.  That way they get a proper clean along with a gain channel close enough that the audience would never know since they're seeing the real half stack onstage.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
    edited October 2013
    The K2 sounds good too - supposedly a Krank, but I have not got a clue, just a cool drive sound. Doesn't do great 'lower gain' stuff, though.  

I actually think the DI sounds as good as any other high gain DI - they always seem to need a bit of taming. 

Anyway, this is the K2 which has LOADS of gain - too much, maybe, I doubt I'd get it above 1/2! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_sHkEpvGGk

@guitarfishbay that's a quality demo.  As you say, gets the 6505 a clean channel! Neat.  Definitely a worthwhile backup.  I'm guessing B is the solid state pedal, but that's only because in the second riff, it sounds a bit flubby in the bass end - something the 5150/6505 isn't?

I'd like to hear one going through a straight forward PA - say, pedal, EQ, PA, speakers.  That would be a real acid test, I suppose.  

You can run all 3 simultaneously, so you could record it both as DI and from an amp at the same time.  That might sound quite huge.
    edited October 2013
    ^ Those are very close. I couldn't confidently pick the real amp versus the pedal. At a guess I'd say A was the real amp. But then again the pedal has the benefit of the tube power section, which would make a big difference I think. Typically a lot of these boxes for the DI'd cab sim sound use IIR filters, and I think they sound crap. Impulse responses are way better.
  • Drew_fx said:
    ^ Those are very close. I couldn't confidently pick the real amp versus the pedal. At a guess I'd say A was the real amp. But then again the pedal has the benefit of the tube power section, which would make a big difference I think. Typically a lot of these boxes for the DI'd cab sim sound use IIR filters, and I think they sound crap. Impulse responses are way better.

There really is very little in it.  The real one roars a little more and is a bit thicker, the answer is in the comments section on the video.  You'd need to listen in HD or you've got little chance to tell a difference IMO in isolation, I reckon in a mix nobody would know.  

I heard it first on headphones a while ago (then had Sennheiser HD380s), then read the answers, then checked on my monitors which at the time were KRK RP6s.  I don't think I'd have been able to tell blind on the speakers in all honesty.

I've tried franken amping before between a Blackstar S1 104EL34 and a Mesa Roadster and I didn't think either sounded great into the other's power section, hence why I'm unsure on buying a P2 as a '5150' for recording as I've no idea how it will sound through a Rectifier power amp.  It is pretty hard to find any clips of the real thing being Franken amped either though I'm pretty sure some people have tried it.

Amps and IRs work well too, I've used FX send from amps in the past with IRs for silent recording and if you pick a good IR the results are better than micing the cab badly (which I've done several times!).
  • Franken amping.  Love it.

It makes me wonder what it would be like to use a P2 into a straight forward solid state or valve power amp.  Just need to work out a reliable, good sounding power amp that is portable and loud! 

It could work out cheaper than buying a 6505 head and 2x12 cab.  Harley Benton 2x12 + AMT P2 + 6l6 valve power amp = sonic heaven?

To me, these things would be really at home for live performance. Valve amps are heavy as f00k as we all know, and tempermental to knocks and scrapes. If I had a nice valve amp I wouldn't bother recording for one.

Part of the reason we're finding it difficult to go and tour in Europe is because of transport costs for our gear. A few preamp pedals and a poweramp, and organising cabs the other end... would make it MUCH easier!
  • My pedal-only rig idea was something like this - get two of the AMT pedals and an A/B loop pedal (which literally switches between loops A and B, with no bypass and no A+B). Use one for your clean and rhythm sounds, and leave the other on its distorted channel for lead. Instant 3-channel preamp, with the bonus that you can even have specific effects for your lead channel (eg always-on delay) for reduced stompage by including them in its loop.

Shove that into the effects return of whatever amp's available (if rig sharing) or something like a Magnum .44, and you've probably got the most portable 3-channel rig possible.
    <space for hire>