Band attire

What's Hot

Comments

• Oh one more thought: Something I have seen other bands do is for the band to all wear the same thing - eg black shirts, red ties - EXCEPT for the frontperson, who wears the "opposite" - red shirt/ black tie, or whatever it happens to be - just as a contrast as they are out front. Can look really good, but only if the backing band do actually match up and aren't all wearing a slightly different shade of red tie or a completely different cut of shirt.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    I have been playing in the same wedding band for almost 6 years now.

Now, clearly, our dress code has to be smart, but that can actually be quite a wide remit, really.
    Originally, we did the cheesy "all wearing the same thing" - i.e. "All in black shirts tonight, chaps? White ties..? OK" or "White shirts, black ties tonight lads.." etc.
    But it just felt forced and naff.
    Then one of our band happened upon a website of a similar band to us (long time ago, so I can't link to it as I have totally forgotten who they were) and they were all wearing different clothes to each other but, crucially, there appeared to be a "theme" to what they were wearing, so they all looked like they belonged together. They clearly had a colour sceme - blue, white and red, if memory serves - that brought everything together.

What this means now for us is that we limit ourselves to the same colours - usually white/ black/ grey in our case (good easy colours for finding a good choice in things like ties/ waistcoats/ jackets etc) but we are freer in what we each individually wear. I tend to wear smart trousers and a shirt with or without a tie. Others in the band who are younger (read: cooler) can get away with a waistcoat over a t shirt and still look smart (I'd look like it was all I could find in whoever's dustbin I had raided), others still may wear black jeans instead of black smart trousers...doesn't matter as it all looks like it belongs together but isn't forced, if that makes sense?

Exactly. I couldn't agree more again. In fact I'd prefer the band chooses their own clothes as they will feel more comfortable in wearing it etc. Great idea about the same colour theme to follow. Got something to go back to the band with now. Thanks guys :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5773
    lloyd said:
    @hotpickups no theme no, originals indie bands just need to look like indie music fans in my opinion. 

Playing a small venue I think you look like a massive bell-end if you're trying too hard...I've seen some guys skulking in the corner looking 'cool' dressed like rock stars and just think what a knob, you're playing a Wednesday night at a toilet venue with your girlfriends and a couple work mates watching....

quite a few name bands where I've read in interviews that they always performed like it was Wembley even to two men and a dog on a Wednesday night. I always remember the story about The Police playing to 3 people, one of them signed them to the record label. I don't see a reason to skulk but if you want to perform and getting dressed up suits you I see no reason why not.
    I agree with the sentiment and the music and performance should be done to the highest possible level but I also think that your performance and clothing should reflect where you are....

I was more referring to how they've acted off stage...aloof rather than their on-stage antics, you've gotta play up a bit to the crowd...

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    DesVegas said:
    When we play weddings we go with black shirts and thin white ties except for the singer who goes for white shirt and thin black tie,

We stopped wearing black and white for weddings because we kept being mistaken for waiters
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it's important to have at-least some kind of consistency towards a 'look' This can be anything from colour co-ordination to patterns/materials, haircuts.

A music act shouldn't look like 5 random people from the audience have gotten on stage and started playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Agreed once again. I love it when we think alike. I've been trying to get my old band members to dress up for the past 2 years. Hopefully the new line up will not be so stubborn and small minded ;) it obviously was the waistcoat suggestion that did it LOL
    John_BlackWolf;594949" said:
    I think it's important to have at-least some kind of consistency towards a 'look' This can be anything from colour co-ordination to patterns/materials, haircuts.

A music act shouldn't look like 5 random people from the audience have gotten on stage and started playing.
  • I dress the same for stage as every day. Nice shirt, nice jacket, nice shoes, nice jeans. If Paul Weller or Marr will wear it, it passes the dress code. I have however been double deniming a lot lately. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    lloyd said:
    Function/corporate bands should be in suits, ditto for weddings, unless asked to wear something else of course.
    Perhaps. Matching suits & shirts or don't bother.

Black trousers & white shirts are a lot easier for all concerned and far more comfortable.  All with same ties or all without.

Waistcoats = Acker Bilk / Trad Jazz .......
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    I try to avoid wearing a black t-shirt but other than that what i normally would wear. In fact im goign off blck band t-shirts these days anyways.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Danny1969 said:

For weddings and corporate stuff normally Black Suits or black trousers and white shirts :

My suite is an Asda £26 jacket and £12 trousers, all looks the same from a distance :)

Yea this, the sweat makes stuff have a short life anyway so cheap suits and a decent shirt, another theme we used was black trousers and similar shirts works well, the girls wear something else but try to get the theme. Like @IanSavage I don't like long sleeves and a jacket would only last about 3 numbers but by then the image has been set in the mind of the audience anyway.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Is that one for the money ...... ;)
    DesVegas;595941" said:
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I can't hack playing in a suit, I prefer to be lively on stage and the fit and sweatiness of most suit jackets makes that uncomfortable, verging on impossible. Function band get up has usually been black pants black shirt with the occasional waistcoat. Like @IanSavage I'm not keen on long sleeves when playing so they're usually rolled up to the elbow. In the Motown band we're usually all in some combination of white on top, black downstairs, either smart pants or well fitted jeans, usually augmented with waistcoat or tie - with the exception of the singers who are suited up/glammed up as required. I've occasionally snuck in some rock and roll by ditching the shiny shoes for battered Converse and wearing a black beanie, which felt a little more "me" whilst still keeping with the theme.
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    edited April 2015
    They look familiar somehow.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    I think acoustic Elvis on the left is very good
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Double Denim.

I genuinely don't give a fuck and that's how i look on stage.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I always wear black. Whatever the dress code ;)

It could be vest, T shirt, polo shirt, short sleeved shirt, long sleeved shirt with sleeves rolled up, jumper with sleeves rolled up, but always black. Black jeans, scruffy for when scruffy is appropriate, M&S new ones for them that want something a bit "smarter", but always black.

I'm happy to do clean & tidy, but I won't wear a suit or tie.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 362

It could be vest, T shirt, polo shirt, short sleeved shirt, long sleeved shirt with sleeves rolled up, jumper with sleeves rolled up, but always black. Black jeans, scruffy for when scruffy is appropriate, M&S new ones for them that want something a bit "smarter", but always black.

I reckon black looks good onstage but I have the argument from our keyboard player that we look like a load of floating heads against our black backdrop...
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794

I reckon black looks good onstage but I have the argument from our keyboard player that we look like a load of floating heads against our black backdrop...
    If you play under sombre or dull light conditions that may be true, but I'd hesitate to say as much if you've got plenty of light on you.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    edited May 2015
    As long as the sound is balanced and we don't look like tramps (not that there's anything wrong with tramps) I wear what I feel like. I don't like to look scruffy, or too smart. 

Lead player insists on his black shirt, singer is a biker/biker club member, so's a bit Lemmy, drummist couldn't give a fck, bassist is usually sporting some sort of cycling related injury/cast/bandage (hence Dangerous Dave, not a bloke you want to be standing next to of the world is about to end) so is in jeans and a tee, I'm generally in skinny blacks, brown DM Chelsea's, white vest, under a check shirt. Suit? Nah. Living the dream fellas.  :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."