Basic blues book

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4693
edited April 2015 in Theory
As it says, I'm after a book to set me off in the right direction with blues keys/scales/chords etc starting with the assumption that I am a dimwitted twat who knows sweet FA about it.  I have one book about blues chords which goes rapidly from explaining basic theory to chords with very long names and about 9 notes in them AND suggests playing them all over the fretboard - we are not getting on.  So recommend me a primer, a book which explains the relationship between the commonest blues chords and scales, shows them and which might be understood by someone who learns stuff in a series of eureka moments, rather than absorbing it bit by bit.

I will be in the west end tomorrow and could probably buy it then, so no hesitation please chaps.

Ta.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    One of Justin Sandercoe's books? He introduced me to a lot of turn-around types and stuff like quick-changes.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6899
    The Blues you can use series are very popular over on the American forums.

Can't speak from personal experience though...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Basic blues by Fred Sokolow. It takes you from some very simple stuff into Rock and Jazz blues. Fred's aim is to get you playing and enjoying it quickly rather than tons of theory and technique.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Try John Wheatcroft's Improvising Blues Guitar. Some of it maybe a little advanced but you pick up licks and chord progressions from it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Some ideas if you play by ear at all.  Look up as many blues songs as you can on youtube(or if you have some CD's, mp3's whatever yourself) and start learning just the bass root note of as many as you can.  You will start to get the "blues 12 bar pattern" concept pretty quick.  From there start filling in the chords, a lot of blues music is simpler than people think, it's putting your own stamp on it that brings it to life.  Keep seeking out knowledge in the books and online though, 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited April 2015
    Try this:- The Ultimate Beginner Series Blues Guitar with Keith Wyatt - Steps 1 and 2 DVD.

There is on-screen tablature, so you can pause the DVD and use the Microsoft Snipping Tool on a Windows 7 laptop to copy and paste them in a document.

This is an NTSC DVD but it has Region Code ALL, so it would play on any DVD Player and PC DVD Players.

Keith Wyatt does another DVD titled Rocking The Blues

If you are a beginner, I would recommend the first two DVDs.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    I can recommend the Keith Wyatt ones. I got a lot from Rocking The Blues especially.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• rlwrlw Frets: 4693
    Thanks chaps.  Been a busy few days so I haven't had a chance to say that I appreciate your input until now.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    @rlw: The lessons by Keith Wyatt from the Unlimate Beginer Series Blues Guitar Steps 1 and 2 DVDs are available on YouTube. 

Here is Lesson 4, to give you a taster. 

You need to start from Lesson 1, and don't skip any because you will miss very essential steps in your learning to make good progress.

The lessons were posted by ibanez0930, so you can search his channel, or look them up on the right hand sidebar to get them in the correct numerical order.

Learn the extensions to the A-Minor Pentatonic Scale at the 5th fret, with the addition of the BLUE notes, and listen to the subtlety from down-picking to the addition of embellishments such as hammer-on/pull offs, bends and slides, etc. 

Have fun!!!
  • vizviz Frets: 10689
    Try John Wheatcroft's Improvising Blues Guitar. Some of it maybe a little advanced but you pick up licks and chord progressions from it.

Haven't read it but was chatting to him the other day about jazz blues, and he's clearly very interested and into the subject so I bet it's a good read. And his new cd is bloody excellent. So giving you a wiz anyway. :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.