Does anyone on here use Amptweaker pedals?

What's Hot
notonlybutalsonotonlybutalso Frets: 110
So i am fishing around for an all round rockbox to replace my current OD pedal, i will be running it into a clean 1x12 combo so i need something with a lot of girth and tweakability that creates its own tone instead of relying on pushing the amp. I was looking into the amptweaker fat rock pedal, does anyone have any views on their stuff? or experience with them? or even any other suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    They sound mint to me:

not played one though, but if I need a new drive in the future, Amptweaker would be right up my list.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • yeah i had heard of them before but this video is what put me on the path to them as well @Teetonetal

I basically can't decide whether the tight or fat is better for my rig, or frankly if there is that much difference! also i would need a voltage doubling cable to run it at its full 18v, i don't know what the 9v sound would be like
    i also rather fancy one of these! who has one?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    For the money those Amptweaker pedals seem like pretty good value. 
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    I've recently got a tight rock which I run into the clean channel of my Mesa Lonestar as a bit more of a modern gain sound.

It sustains for days but is quite bright in overall tone so would need to be paired with the rest of your rig well so that it didn't sound too harsh.

Have to say with the Lonestar it sounds mint and works well against the amp gain for a more modern touch. A good contrast for me.
  • yeah @Sassafras they seem to have a ton of really good features for no more money than some of the standard 3 knob boutiques.

Not having tried a lonestar would you say your rig is quite bright already? or is the tight drive bright in its own right @MikeB ?
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I had a Tightrock and it was great. The Plexi eq was my favourite. I would recommend it.
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    I'd say the Lonestar is pretty balanced but more mids if anything. I'd suspect it's a bright pedal all round but will cut a mix really well.
  • why do i seek out new ways to use up all my money, why can't i just be happy with my current rig?

oh right...guitarist
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Depends what kind of OD you want For me I always prefer two pedals My classic set up is a tubescreamer type with the gain set low into a distortion type pedal (ds1, chandler tube driver, box of rock, fulltone ocd) take your pick I've yet to find one pedal that achieves that on its own The closest contender is the stacked distortion on the Siamese bad car
  • I do like stacked drives, but i find it to be too much tap dancing on top of all the other pedals i need to switch, plus it costs me double of a good single pedal :P I currently have a modded TS circuit, it goes heavy enough for the stuff i do in my band but i would like a bit more range in it for when i am playing other styles, and maybe just a different voicing in general
  • BorkBork Frets: 255
    I have a Tight Rock too, fantastic pedal if you're looking for djent and it's incredibly quiet.  I don't know how James managed it.  It sounds nice dialled back too but it won't break up like a booteek valve amp.

[This space for rent]

• Had a Tight Metal Pro and it was incredible! Loved it.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6098
    edited May 2017
    I use a Tight Drive Pro and it is excellent. The send-return options are a brilliant idea and it really is a tweaker's delight with all the tone shaping options. The build quality is spot on too. 

I should mention that it is not a transparent drive a it removes deep low frequencies rather like a tubescreamer.. but not as much.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    I have the Fat Metal which is absolutely utterly brilliant. Just like the Tight Metal but with an extra 'Black' switch making it more suited to black metal/sludge/death metal. Bags of features.

I also have the Fat Metal PRO for sale if anybody is interested. Obviously I love the sound but it's too big for my board. I don't need the extra boost and the standard Fat Metal is enough for me.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I've only heard good things about these but a lot of people seem to use the phrase "I had one".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    ennspek said:
    I've only heard good things about these but a lot of people seem to use the phrase "I had one".
    I think a few people who this describes will have gone fully digital since, so I don't think it's anything to do with Amptweaker.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    I have the Tight Drive Pro, it's the heart of my board now. It gets beyond what I would normally expect from an overdrive in terms of gain, and just sounds really thick and solid. The Plexi eq sounds amazing to my ears. The overall build quality is excellent too. I would definitely recommend their pedals from my experience with the overdrive, really solid well thought out kit.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    But, but, they can't possibly sound good because they're so fracking ugly!
  • ennspek said:
    I think a few people who this describes will have gone fully digital since, so I don't think it's anything to do with Amptweaker.  
    Yep! :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922