An opinion on design needed

So I'm half way to being able to afford my new guitar, which I'm going finish myself.  

It'll be singlecut, PRS style, 3 knobs, no pickup selector (blend knob ftw) and a humbucker in the bridge, P90 in the neck.  Mahogany back, finished in Wudtone Mahogany, and a figured maple front, finished in azure lagoon with masked binding.  Yup, I'm a massive tart, suck it.

Thing is, I want a maple neck, which is fine, but I also want either a maple or ebony board.  Ebony happens in the real world, but I've never seen a single cut with a dyed finish and a maple board! Am I designing a nightmare, or is it just where it's never happened?

I suppose it'll be like this, but singlecut...

And sans pickup selector.  And possibly sans inlays...

Any opinions?  I want it to be a bit unique, and I do love the feel of a lightly finished maple board, and I reckon using a colourless satin Wudtone finish on the back and the board would make for a nice feeling neck.  

Discuss.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Can't think of a reason why that wouldn't work! Personally I like the azure blue flame top idea, especially with the maple board neck. Although I never object to an ebony fingerboard either. As to the wudtone - I reckon it has to be good - I just used 4 thin coats of wudtone base coat on the neck for my recent "wave guitar" build, so not even the proper stuff for necks, and ended up with a fantastic satin-finished neck, looks great, and fabulously nice to play. Go for it is my opinion... :) Are you doing the gold hardware thing btw? :D
  • rprrpr Frets: 309
  • No gold, all nickel with nickel dome or flat topped tele type knobs probably.

Rpr, you're a genius. That with nickel, neat way of giving me an idea. Thanks guys! Full steam ahead, putting in mega hours for this beasty...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    EBMM did the Axis in Trans blue flame maple top with a maple board too, and they looked fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Who's building it for you do you mind me asking?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    Sounds good to me.