Possible to salvage bass strings when installing different ways/different basses?

guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
edited April 2015 in Bass
I fancy comparing string through vs top loading on my Fender Jazz, is there any particular reason I can't do this with the same set of strings?

I'm just concerned because I've noticed kinks in strings before on electric guitar when I've had them fully off then on again, when I was comparing string gauges.  In fairness I think this was because of how I wrapped them after taking them off, but the concern would still stand for the different break angle of through body and top load as surely the main kink would be at a different angle in a slightly different place.

Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24264
    I swap string all the time. Not had any trouble.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    They may not last as long but bass strings are generally strong as fuck. We once had a big gig rescued by a mate across town destringing his bass after we had one break in soundcheck!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Well that is a relief because bass strings are bloody expensive.  Cheers guys
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited April 2015
    Ok tried it. Seems a little less tight to play right near the bridge, and like it is slightly less punchy acoustically. But through an amp very little if any real difference, maybe if anything I prefer it just for the slightly easier feel. Meh, takes 5 mins to swap either way if I get bored!
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Currently I have a mix with my two low strings through the body and two higher ones top loaded. I'm tuned down to B and this seems to keep my low strings nice and tight, I think I prefer the feel of top loading on anything (regular 2nd string) A and above. I bloody love my jazz bass, super happy with it.