NGD :) My experience with Thomann

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Well the shifting of the box didn't go too well thanks to DHL but there's nothing at all wrong with the contents. A very nice guitar. The strings are grubby and the action very high, but I ordered a fresh set of strings with it and expected that.

I suppose if you know what to expect in terms of the way they operate then its not too bad. I think I had been spoilt by all of the excellent transactions with them previously. Pics soon!

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10243
    tFB Trader
    My Gibson was delivered by Parcel Farce this end .... so I was grateful it was in one piece!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2346
    Glad to hear it arrived safely :)
  • chrishill901chrishill901 Frets: 516
    edited June 2015
    Here we go, better late than never:

I set it up when I got it to float (although as I don't ever invisage going up, only divebombing, I may deck it/block it) and it plays beautifully. Last night I had band practice so I had chance to give it a proper go at volume...

...Gorgeous. So much better than I was expecting. Plays like a guitar that cost a lot more. The Floyd special is really good too. The pickups are really good for a guitar of its price, although the singles are noisy?. They are certainly the weakest link but thats not a slight on the pickups but a compliment on the rest of it. Getting quality 'expensive' pickups like SDs, Bareknuckles or DiMarzios would definitely be an improvement, but if you are the kind of person who rips out cheap stock pickups and puts GFS in then I wouldn't bother - the only way to upgrade the stock pickups is to put some money into it!

Im a Les Paul player so it was really hard to get used to. I usually rest my hand quite firmly on the bridge and attack quite hard but i couldnt do that as resting on the bridge moved the floyd rose! It took a short while to getting used to having a lighter hand, and as a result my picking became lighter and more accurate! The neck is fast and slim without being wizardy, and as it isnt finished it is dead easy to play. I found so many more tones at my fingertips with a strat style guitar. It obviously does the high gain thing well being an Adrian Smith signature guitar, but it really shines if you treat it like a vintage strat too. I cranked the clean channel of my Jubilee to give a plexi like crunch and flicked to the neck pickup and the tone was luscious and round, warm and punchy. I could play blues all day on it.

Another thing that I thought would take some getting used to was the switching. Im used to having my neck pickup on my Les Paul rolled back to clean, and bridge dirty, and the flick of the switch gives me my clean and od. I was expecting to run into difficulty here but the guitar was so responsive it was easy. All I had to do was roll the volume off a little, hit the neck pickup which is significantly lower in output anyway, and pick lightly and I had a much nicer clean tone than I have ever had with a Les Paul.

I have played Les Pauls since starting to learn and never envisaged buying anything with a Floyd, or even just a trem full stop. I just wanted more Les Pauls. But now Im starting to see a life after the Les Paul... and its different, but its great!!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Looks awesome, glad you like it
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Nice looking axe and a tidy write up as well!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2346
    Sweet :D
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 782
    Bought guitars amps drums & stuff from Thomann. They're great. No quibble exchanges, at their cost if it's a fault. Above all guaranteed for 3 years by them, which is good to know for amps.
    Local shop service with all the benefit of huge stock & good prices.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I'd love to congratulate you on a new guitar but I can't see it as photobucket is a piece of Shit that keeps chucking pop ups at me or redirecting me to play store, it really is terrible at the one job it has.

Sorry just annoyed :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Yeah photobucket's gone mad tonight for me too. Clearing the browser history seemed to help.
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 508
    Is it me or is it missing a knob?  It appears to be one knob short, or is that on purpose and not cost cutting.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    underdog;617912" said:
    I'd love to congratulate you on a new guitar but I can't see it as photobucket is a piece of Shit that keeps chucking pop ups at me or redirecting me to play store, it really is terrible at the one job it has.

Sorry just annoyed :D
    I am getting to the end of my tether with photobucket. Are there any alternatives? Can you link photos from Dropbox in the same way?

I forgot to add that acoustically the guitar sounds lovely, which is always a great sign for me. I was excited before I plugged it in because it had a lovely natural tone, I just needed the pickups to pick that up which IMO they do :)

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Photobucket is a PITA, I ditched it a while ago for Imgur, haven't had a single problem since. very nice guitar by the way.
  • Dalefty;618026" said:
    Is it me or is it missing a knob?  It appears to be one knob short, or is that on purpose and not cost cutting.

DaLefty
    You don't happen to have a spare one to fix the problem do you? I'm pretty sure it's a righty one... I could be wrong. ;)

Congrats on the NGD.
    edited May 2015
    Dalefty;618026" said:

DaLefty
    I never noticed, I'll have to send it back!!

I can't say the extra tone knob is something I'd ever use...

Thanks to all if the responses RE. Thomann too, I guess they have expanded to a point where 100% satisfaction is virtually impossible to achieve, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be ordered from. If your favourite restaurant forgets a drinks order you're likely to chalk it down to human error and give them the benefit of the doubt... Especially if their Guinness is a damn site cheaper than everyone else's.

• DougDoug Frets: 172
    Excellent guitars at this price point, they just require a good setup, I'm on my second (after some lowlife scrote lifted my first!) but a big block and a slight neck shim = perfect.
    Doug;620162" said:
    Excellent guitars at this price point, they just require a good setup, I'm on my second (after some lowlife scrote lifted my first!) but a big block and a slight neck shim = perfect.
    Interesting to hear you have had two and feel a shim is necessary. I don't think mine needs one! Big block it does however

Also, as I've never had this sort of thing before, I find the ringing in the springs bloody irritating. I have seen coated springs as a solution. Are they worth it or should I just get used to it?