Amp emulation + Effects into the FX return of a Orange Dark Terror?

Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
Guitar > Cakewalk V-Studio 20 > FX Return of amp > Cab
Anyone know if that would be OK? I'm trying to get a decent tone out of the built in effects + emulation of the VS-20 without colouring it with the tone, Gain + volume of the amp? I THINK it would be safe... They are all line level I/O's? I've been playing like that for about 20 mins, and it's probably the best tone I have ever had... Just don't want to damage the amp or Audio Interface! 

As a side thing, would it be safe to connect the audio interface, direct to my monitors (m-Audio AV40's) And push them until they distort and clip. Then Mic them up? I only did that for a second or two, but it was an awesome Fuzz! :D 
'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Should be fine guv. Just don't make the mistake of using the speaker out!

RE: Monitor distortion. Yeah, only if you want to fuck them up though! ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    In theory running into the Dark Terror shouldn't sound good because you're running an already speaker-emulated signal through a real guitar speaker, so the effect is 'doubled'... but if you like it, it's good.

There's certainly no risk of damage, the worst that could happen is unwanted extra distortion if the signal level is too high for the amp's input.

But on the other question - no, don't do that. You'll probably blow at least the tweeters in the monitors. PA/hi-fi/monitor-type speakers should never be distorted, they're not designed to handle it and it's by far the most common cause of damage.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I tried running my AxeFX into the FX Return of a Dark Terror and it sounded TERRIBLE!!!!
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Really? I used the 80's mid-boost model, I got a pretty damn near Slash AFD tone from it... Works great here :) I can set it up for a clean model, run a few effects, then put all the amp's valve distortion on. :) I'm gonna record a bit when my XLR cable arrives, you guys can be the judge ;)
    'Awibble'
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    Hertz32 said:
    I got a pretty damn near Slash AFD tone from it...
    Mosquito through a transistor radio?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    ICBM said:
    Hertz32 said:
    I got a pretty damn near Slash AFD tone from it...
    Mosquito through a transistor radio?
    Yup, that's the one. 
    It's close to the tone, didn't say it was a GOOD tone though ;) 
    'Awibble'