Accidentally enrolled as a bassist

What's Hot
BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
I used to be in the jazz ensemble at my old uni, mostly freddie green type rhythm, so nothing too complicated and the odd solo.

Today, I saw a jazz ensemble rehearsing at the uni. Got talking to the conductor and told him that I play guitar and meddle in a bit of bass playing, after noticing they were lacking a bass player. He then proceeded to give me ten charts to learn in two weeks for bass playing. 

So here we go, I've only had my bass for a couple of months, time to get my head down and not embarrass myself. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    How hard can it be? It only has four strings!

;)

I ended up as a bassist in the same sort of way - joined a 'music club' at Uni and discovered it consisted of about 35 guitarists, two drummers and a bassist, so I immediately went and bought a bass!

It's great, very different from guitar but close enough that you won't find it difficult to learn, and just as rewarding musically when you really get into it. Have fun :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited April 2015
    Absolutely agree with @ICBM you don't play a bass like a guitar, and it doesn't perform the same function within a band as a guitar, but any guitarist ought to be able to find his or her way around one. Doing so enhances your appreciation of music, and ought to be fun.

Caveat: the bass is physically demanding and after causing tendon damage by overuse on the guitar, I find that playing bass can set it off again quite easily. Be careful while you're enjoying it.

PS Any decent bass has 5 strings :P
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    PS Any decent bass has 5 strings :P
    Beware, the Antichrist who speaks with forked tongue!! A basis of truth to tempt you in, and then ABOMINATION!!!

Any bass with more than four strings needs to be burned. It's just not rock'n'roll.

Apart from a Fender Bass VI, which is really a baritone guitar in disguise and so is redeemed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited April 2015

Phil_aka_Pip said:"Any decent bass has 5 strings "
    ICBM said:   "Beware, the Antichrist who speaks with forked tongue!! A basis of truth to tempt you in, and then ABOMINATION!!!"

Of course, everyone knows the proper number of strings is
    6, whether that's guitar or bass   :P

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    The advantage of a low B string is that you can get all the notes on the 5th string in the 5th position (with closer together frets) that you would otherwise have to go to the 1st position on the 4th string to get AND suffer with frets that are way too far apart.

In general you can get away with a lot less position shifting with that extra string.

I tend to think of poo-poo-ing the 5th string in similar manner to eschewing the electric instrument because only the acoustic is "natural". It has its uses and definitely makes your life easier so woss problem wivvit?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I'm a bit of a jazz purist, and if you could point me to a double bass with 5 strings, I will happily concur with you @phil_aka_pip

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will bear it in mind.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Jazz bass lesson -Milt Hinton, jazz, classic:

This is one of the best things I've seen on jazz bass playing. Concise but full of invaluable information.
    The advantage of a low B string is that you can get all the notes on the 5th string in the 5th position (with closer together frets) that you would otherwise have to go to the 1st position on the 4th string to get AND suffer with frets that are way too far apart.
    The advantage of a four-string bass and an OCTAVER is that you can do that *and* play notes that 5-stringists can only dream of (and admittedly probably only elephants can hear) without having to look like you're really clever having one of those "basses" with too many strings :-P.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    Branshen said:

So here we go, I've only had my bass for a couple of months, time to get my head down and not embarrass myself. 

That's ok, it;s plenty of time to order a filthy dirt box and a wah.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248

"Any decent bass has 5 strings "

ICBM said:   "Beware, the Antichrist who speaks with forked tongue!! A basis of truth to tempt you in, and then ABOMINATION!!!"

Of course, everyone knows the proper number of strings is 6, whether that's guitar or bass   :P you are both wrong. Both guitars and basses should have at LEAST 7 strings. or be tuned down suitably ;)
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    Hertz32 said:
    or be tuned down suitably
    Ah… there you have it. You can get those low notes easily on a 4-string bass - just tune it BEAD :).

I rarely use that thin string anyway ;).

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

This is also how I ended up playing bass. TBH I find it much more fun than playing guitar, s'all about the groove in it.

Oh and 5 string basses are for pussies.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    On my 5-string I don't use the top or bottom string that much 3-string bass anyone? would have a nice narrow neck and all the notes you really need.
    The Jesus And Mary Chain's Douglas Hart with the necessary number of string on his bass…

All the others are just for showing off really :).

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7778
    Having owned 4 5 and 6 string basses I've come to the conclusion that 4 strings are plenty, if you really want a low B then BEAD tuning is a useful alternative to std. though I've returned to standard tuning in my current band.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    Tony Levin had a specially made three string Stingray, but sadly it was lost in a fire

how about a "Rickenbacker" ?

edited May 2015
    If that's not an official RIC product the maker is in trouble if John Hall sees it...

Putting the pickup along the length of the string is genius though :).

• martmart Frets: 5205
    edited May 2015
    Branshen said:
    I'm a bit of a jazz purist, and if you could point me to a double bass with 5 strings, I will happily concur with you @phil_aka_pip

There are actually plenty. E.g. http://a440violinshop.com/products/1240916303_C1483 Bass 005.jpg In fact, Thomann have 3 different ones for sale! http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_25string.htm
    Doesn't change the fact that 4 is the correct number of strings, and the correct number of frets is 0.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited May 2015
    A couple of years ago I did the same thing, my friend asked me to play bass for a bit untill the other guitarist left, I thought well I may as well, it was not what I wanted to do but I thought it would be good to see how I got on playing bass. 

After the first practice I was totally hooked, since then I have not played guitar in a full band situation, I made sure I also played Bass properly not just root notes or playing the bass like a guitar. 

Its clear from your experience you already know this, but for those who think just because you play guitar you can play bass you cant. its a totally different instrument, and your approach has to be adapted, its not good looking at it like a guitar as if you do you will fail miserably.
    In my opinion its a very unselfish instrument, you are their to give the music depth and groove, not be centre stage, (unless your les Claypool) it took me a while to adapt to this but now its 2nd nature, 

People listen to the guitar and vocals but dance to the bass.
    plus Bassists go deeper :P
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom