Faux binding on my Les Paul LPJ Goldtop : Latest update.Now with polished top.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10264
    edited May 2015
    That looks stunning @flyingv

Top job and so much better than its original finish.

@rlw the white showing as binding is the maple cap which is a different colour to the mahogany below.The trick is getting a solid line which is where the trick electrical tape comes into it.Some of it was sanded away during the process but enough stayed behind to keep the solid line.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    Cheers breakstuff, it's a totally different animal now, SD slash pups, Graphtec nut, 50s wiring CTS pots, bumblebee caps, changed the original klusons over for Grovers,
    @flyingv I'm going for Irongear Tesla Sharks in mine which are basically Irongears take on the AD Slash pickups along with the new wiring.Haven't decided on 50's or modern wiring yet though.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    breakstuff;618600" said:
    @flyingv I'm going for Irongear Tesla Sharks in mine which are basically Irongears take on the AD Slash pickups along with the new wiring.Haven't decided on 50's or modern wiring yet though.
    Which is also what I want in mine :D which would then allow the Gibson pickups to go in to my Harley Benton explorer

I've got a stripped Vintage Lemon Drop that needs renovating so I think the Gibbo pickups will go in that.I'm hoping the pcb will drop straight in but I don't think I'll be that lucky.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    I've got a stripped Vintage Lemon Drop that needs renovating so I think the Gibbo pickups will go in that.I'm hoping the pcb will drop straight in but I don't think I'll be that lucky.
    It won't if the Vintage has the standard far-east sized pot holes, and they're usually laid out slightly differently... but you may be able to solve both problems if you work out where the new pot centres are on the PCB and carefully (laboriously probably!) file the holes to match rather than just reaming them larger at the existing centres.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yeah that's what I was thinking too @ICBM and just hope that the knobs will cover any part of the existing holes that may otherwise show.I'm off to have a measure up to see how far off they may be.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    I bet the cavity will be a bit tight too so expect some routing/chisel work.
    Ah,I never thought about that @GuitarMonkey

Ots a chance to learn some new skills I suppose :D
    I did these mods a couple of weeks ago but haven't had chance to post them until now.

I finally got round to tackling the oversized Gibson logo that's been bugging me ever since I bought the guitar.

I lightly sanded off the old logo and replaced it with one of the correct size and thought I may as well put the Les Paul Model logo on while I was at it.Gave the headstock several coats of lacquer,sanded back and then several more coats.Looking at it now I'm pretty sure the Les Paul Model logo is positioned slightly incorrectly bit I'm pretty happy with it considering it's my first ever attempt at doing this.There's also a slight discoloration where the logo hasn't bedded down properly but it's sealed well and hopefully may clear over time.

Here's what it looked like before.

And after.

I've also completely rewired the guitar,getting rid of the pcb and putting the correct value pots in and installed an Irongear Tesla Shark in the bridge.I've kept the original pickup in the neck for now but will replace it with the matching Irongear pickup when funds allow.I sounds absolutely brilliant now,much improved and that bridge pickup is fantastic.Sounds exactly as I wanted it too.

Next job is to give the front of the guitar a few coats of clear nitro to give it a bit of shine but need to do a bit of research first as again this will be my first attempt at using nitro.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    The headstock looks much better
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    When you're done, swap me for mine and you can start again and I get what I want at no effort, deal? :D
    Hehe,nice try @underdog :D
    Finally got round to polishing the top today,something I've been meaning to do for a while.Here's what it originally looked like,very dull with not a hint of gloss other than where it's worn where my right arm rests and where I rest my pinky.

https://imgur.com/AV1h1MI

Flattened the top with decreasing grades of wet and dry,then a few applications of Auto Glym paint restorer and finally a further few applications of resin polish.It hasn't come up super shiny,though I never really expected it to but it's a vast improvement on how it looked before.I've tried to capture it as best I can but could do with a bit of sun to really show the difference.

Anyway here's some pics.

https://imgur.com/UbrGfl1

https://imgur.com/Ha3LikS

https://imgur.com/gX6dUD5

https://imgur.com/TzpAuIf

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    Shiny gold beats satin. Shame that it will not craze like nitro-cellulose.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Looks cool! Headstock and faux binding make huge difference. Poker chip and pickup covers next? 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3185
    That is looking wicked dude, well done for the time, patience and guts when it came to the sandpaper! A job well done.
    edited May 2017
    Thanks guys.

@sawyer it will be getting a full re-wire in the near future so a poker chip will be added with the new switch,however the pickups will be staying uncovered.It originally came with horrible black plastic covers so they had to go.The bridge got replaced by an a Irongear Tesla Shark but the neck is the original.

Here's how the guitar looked when new.

https://imgur.com/ZcZIwIn

And original modding thread.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/5136/my-modded-les-paul-lpj#latest
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Irongear stuffs great for the price. I've used them in three builds so far. Sound great to my ears. Lookin good man!