Time for Tele Tubbies?

What's Hot
bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
edited May 2015 in Guitar
so today and yesterday i went out to try some tele's. i've had my eye on a usa standard in natural with rosewood board. but whilst there i tried the squire, a baja, standard mexi and couple of other usa standards. the usa natural was by far the best of the bunch and it was as light as a feather and had bucket loads of spank. now the dilema's i have are, the natural i tried is a bit of a plane jane as looks go but they have a really grainy gnarlier looking one in another branch. do i buy it without trying it? secondly, its a bloody standard Tele and its 1200 quid FFS.
And thirdly if i do buy it, its only gonna be worth £700 tops by next week. 
errrm, is any one selling a usa standard in natural with rosewood board by any chance?
what ya reckon folks!

The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited May 2015

On a good day. Is this the one with the belly cut ?

Not for you, as you want a RW board, but my ash natural tele is highly figured, but with maple board. But it weighs a fair bit...

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    Nothing wrong with a plain looking Tele, in fact that's kind of the point.

If it were me though I'd build one at least as good for half the price and buy a used Deluxe Reverb or something with the change.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391

On a good day. Is this the one with the belly cut ?

Not for you, but my ash natural tele is highly figured, but with maple board. But it weighs a fair bit...

yep, its got the belly cut.
    The Swamp City Shakers

This is mine..

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    If you can handle the big neck buy a Kotzen. If you want modern C but a used Am Tele Deluxe

This is mine..

yep very nice, apart from having the wrong neck!!! plenty of wavey grainy goodness going on there.
    The Swamp City Shakers
    yep very nice, apart from having the wrong neck!!! plenty of wavey grainy goodness going on there.
    I've got some brown paint :)

i think the wisdom is gonna be to keep em peeled for a used one. I've  got myself in an over excited state of euphoria by how nice that one played and sounded and the fact that i've not bought a guitar for nearly 4 years now ~X(
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    p90fool said:
    Nothing wrong with a plain looking Tele, in fact that's kind of the point.

If it were me though I'd build one at least as good for half the price and buy a used Deluxe Reverb or something with the change.
    Ditto, You could build one just as good for about the depreciation a new Fender would incur after the first week.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    its a bloody standard Tele and its 1200 quid FFS.
    I like Teles but £1200 for a plank of wood is ridiculous money.
    edited May 2015
    i do keep toying with the idea of a partscaster, its just that i get worried whether i'm gonna like it or not when its done, and if not, its not gonna be worth much to sell on. 
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    bandmaster188;619682" said:
    i do keep toying with the idea of a partscaster, its just that i get worried whether i'm gonna like it or not when its done, and if not, its not gonna be worth much to sell on. 
    I think it depends on the parts used. Warmoth based builds seem to go for reasonable money as long as they're not too wacky.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    Shame you want rosewood. IMO the nicest teles for under about £1500 are the AVRI 52s or AVHR 52s which go about 800-900 used and if you get a good one are easily up there with fender custom shop guitars
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    It'll be worth more if you sell it as parts.

Going back to the original post, if the one you liked was really much better than the others you tried, WTF, just buy it.  I certainly wouldn't buy the untried one from another branch just because it looks better.  A bird in the hand and all that....

Otherwise, keep shopping around.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    Bide your time and buy good used parts for a build ,then you`ll have a really good guitar for a fraction of big F money .
    Philly_Q said:
    It'll be worth more if you sell it as parts.

Going back to the original post, if the one you liked was really much better than the others you tried, WTF, just buy it.  I certainly wouldn't buy the untried one from another branch just because it looks better.  A bird in the hand and all that....

Otherwise, keep shopping around.

wise words Mr Q.
     "the fact they are offering 0% for a year makes it all seem a rather attractive buy", says the devil on my left shoulder.
     the angel on my right is screaming at me "its a fucking Tele and its only worth half when you walk out the shop" 
    i need more beer to figure this out and make a properly informed decission!
    The Swamp City Shakers

You can't put the wood back they carved out, but you can fit a three saddle bridge ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

You can't put the wood back they carved out, but you can fit a three saddle bridge ;)

i must admit, i don't find that six saddle jobby too offensive. i think the old style saddles go quite nicely on there. but yeh a 3 saddle brass one would look better!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • SetzerSetzer Frets: 37
    A 62RI with a rosewood board shouldn't be too hard to find, second hand they go for about a third of that new USA Tele and are absolutely fantastic guitars.
    Valar Morghulis
    edited May 2015
    Setzer said:
    A 62RI with a rosewood board shouldn't be too hard to find, second hand they go for about a third of that new USA Tele and are absolutely fantastic guitars.
    my previous Tele was a usa  FSR 68 custom player which was just like the 62 RI's. a bit of an oddball as it had all vintage appoitments, double bound, hardware etc but had modern neck profile and S1 switching and noisless pickups. A the time i bought that i was searching for a natural tele but they were very thin on the ground
    . This time though it has to be a natural & rosewood!

here it is

The Swamp City Shakers
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom