Time for Tele Tubbies?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Absolutely must have an ashtray bridge. Anything else is just unnatural.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    the red one did!
    The Swamp City Shakers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited May 2015
    I think I like the plane jane better   :)

But...

I'd not pay £1200 for it. Fender prices just went up about 2 weeks ago, its likely that the exact tele was cheaper only a few weeks ago. If it were me I'd use that as a bargaining chip and be looking to get at least 10% off sticker price.

Also, you could get them to price match Thomann, where it is about £1100.
    terada said:
    I think I like the plane jane better   :)

But...

I'd not pay £1200 for it. Fender prices just went up about 2 weeks ago, its likely that the exact tele was cheaper only a few weeks ago. If it were me I'd use that as a bargaining chip and be looking to get at least 10% off sticker price.

Also, you could get them to price match Thomann, where it is about £1100.
    i did try the fender price rise/ bank holiday discount line, but not really interested. good call on the thomann price match though, but its still a bloody lot for a tele!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    ^^^^^^

I think you meant to say it's a reasonable price for an iconic guitar that's quality but doesn't have birds/moons/flash/flame/flip-flop paint...

Or meybe not   ;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    edited May 2015
    jd0272 said:
    ^^^^^^

I think you meant to say it's a reasonable price for an iconic guitar that's quality but doesn't have birds/moons/flash/flame/flip-flop paint...

Or meybe not   ;)
    when i left the house this morning i think i was ready to pay the money for either plane jane with its light weight loveliness or, the gnarly one which looks like a bear has been pissing up the tree and scratching his claws on it for the last ten years. i don't need bells whistles flames and certainly NO birds, but i can't get my head round the depreciation that will incur if i decide to sell up. if this guitar was priced under grand, i don't think i'd have hesitated. 

The Swamp City Shakers
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    wait for the right one second hand and save the money for the next guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    It's not like American telecasters are hard to come by. I think buying a new one is a bit daft, unless you've played it and knew straight away that it was absolutely "the one".
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    Tbh,I`ve always found Us Standards are just an electric guitar that looks like a Tele if you know what I mean ! The more vintage appointed models are far better I think.
    edited May 2015
    It's not like American telecasters are hard to come by. I think buying a new one is a bit daft, unless you've played it and knew straight away that it was absolutely "the one".
    <br It seemed as though natural/rosewood tele's were hard to come by but appears there was one under my nose all along. I'll find out on Thursday!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • rprrpr Frets: 309
    I tried a bunch of US Tele Standards last year and was surprised at just how consistent they were in terms of weight and feel- If you've came across one which really stands out for you I would at least consider about grabbing it. It may well be a keeper and the one that got away might always be at the back of your mind.
     As for the price, well i bought a new 58 AVRI for £1200 a couple of months ago from GAK  (Thomanns price matched) via Mark just before he left. There surely must be room for negotiation somewhere. 
  • tbmtbm Frets: 579
    £1200 is bananas money for a U.S. Standard unless you adore it. Wait. You get a better one for less dosh.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    The plain jane is my fave

Apparently plane janes are more filthy!
    The Swamp City Shakers