Digital Amps a Warning From History

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17599
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    I've been to a bunch of gigs now where guitarists have used modellers. It seems to be a lot more difficult to get punch and thump without huge transformers and huge power valves - imho.

The gigs where they went straight to the PA (Tesseract, Monuments, Animals As Leaders) the tones just sounded thin and headphoney to me - and I'm not a valve snob! I'll use whatever sounds good and I own a Kemper.

But I'm not convinced by a 100% digital replacement system.
    Do you think that applies more to metal than other genres?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited May 2015
    Drew_fx said:
    I've been to a bunch of gigs now where guitarists have used modellers. It seems to be a lot more difficult to get punch and thump without huge transformers and huge power valves - imho.

The gigs where they went straight to the PA (Tesseract, Monuments, Animals As Leaders) the tones just sounded thin and headphoney to me - and I'm not a valve snob! I'll use whatever sounds good and I own a Kemper.

Do you think that applies more to metal than other genres?
    Hmmmm.... I dunno to be honest, but I doubt it. I reckon it's probably across the board, but I don't have real evidence. But the physics of loudspeakers and poweramps... the result is just sooooooo great to listen to. And you don't get it with a digital system.

Still want to try a Blackstar ID though.
    tFB Trader
    I read a really interesting thing about the AxeFX that apparently the original one didn't have headphones as the chap who designed it thought that modelling couldn't sound realistic unless the amp was acoustically coupled to the guitar i.e. you were stood in front of a speaker. 

I used to gig with a POD into PA (did my biggest ever gig that way) and though I got some usable sounds and even had compliments I always found you were lacking in sustain and that "plays itself" quality you get when you are in front of a loud amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    edited May 2015
    sted said:
    My Matchless looks like it's going nowhere despite having a great reputation for tone and build quality,
    Great point. Yeah digital is the future, Matchless, build quality, valves all that nonsense is just junk now. Considering these facts

£50 FINAL OFFER.

:!! :)] ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    ICBM said:
    mellowsun said:
    I thought that too, and was hoping that my AER Compact 60 would fit the bill, but it really doesn't. Nylon and acoustics sound fantastic through it but electric guitar plus modeller or preamp plus speaker sim doesn't, it lacks the 3d sound that a good combo or head plus cabs will give you.
    I've probably said this before in which case I apologise for sounding like a stuck record :), but there's also a serious risk of damaging either the amp or the speaker. Acoustic amps are designed for a signal with a high ratio of transient peaks to average power, and won't like being made to reproduce a much more constant, compressed electric-guitar sound with a much higher average power. I've seen an AER with a blown speaker from doing this, and several other acoustic amps damaged by either electric guitars or keyboards being put through them.
    Also, you can get an active powered PA cab for less than you can a decent acoustic amp.  To be honest I'd go this route for amplifying an acoustic if I couldn't go into the PA.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1258
    57Deluxe;620960" said:
    one day, the EU will ban valves...
    It's so niche it's not worth doing

Speaking as somen who is generally quite sympathetic to the EU I suspect you have that the wrong way round in that if/when some unrelated (and possibly otherwise perfectly sensible and justified) piece of legislation makes valves and/or valve amps impossible to build or service economically it will be perceived  to be so niche that saving them isn't worth  doing... :-( 
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    edited May 2015
    Buy what you like and to hell with its 'resale value'. Golf clubs, especially drivers, are a case in point. Last years model is virtually worthless selling wise but it still will works as a golf club. My 5 wood is over 20 years old, well marked, but I have not found a better 5 wood, so until I do, it stays in the bag. If your 10 year old amp still works, play and enjoy it. There might be better amps available but until you find one that is significantly better, use the one you have. And spend your savings on lessons....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    It's kind of interesting when people say that with digital, newer is always better so the old stuff always becomes obsolete, yet at the same time some people are already saying that the earlier versions of some modelling amps (Roland Cubes and Vox Valvetronix to name the obvious ones) sound better than the current models.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Drew_fx said:

The issue with Tesseract will have been the amount of swooshing synth etc parts on the backing track.

Protest the Hero sounded great the same night through AxeFX. The (analogue) bass amp went down, and there was a break for a few minutes, the singer actually spoke about AxeFX (amongst many other anecdotes), saying he was worried when they were first discussed because he didn't want them to sound "chugga chugga" like all the other AxeFX bands, but that he's really happy and says they sound great and consistent whatever the venue.
  • chrispy108;627115" said:
    Drew_fx said:

The issue with Tesseract will have been the amount of swooshing synth etc parts on the backing track.

Protest the Hero sounded great the same night through AxeFX. The (analogue) bass amp went down, and there was a break for a few minutes, the singer actually spoke about AxeFX (amongst many other anecdotes), saying he was worried when they were first discussed because he didn't want them to sound "chugga chugga" like all the other AxeFX bands, but that he's really happy and says they sound great and consistent whatever the venue.
    I've seen pth and trivium with modellers and both sounded astonishingly good. No lack of punch for either.

However, they clearly know what they're doing!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Interesting. I'd like to see a band that uses a modeller that isn't a djenty band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Drew_fx said:
    Interesting. I'd like to see a band that uses a modeller that isn't a djenty band.
    Metallica have made the jump haven't they?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    edited May 2015
    He wants to see a band, not go to a museum ;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Drew_fx said:
    The latest line up of King Crimson is using modellers playing some pretty diverse music.

Fripp is using AxeFX and Jakszyk (gtr) and Levin (bass) are using Kempers.
    tFB Trader
    I think dweezil and vai were using axefx on zappa plays zappa
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I heard that Buddy Guy was switching over to an Axe FX2 and a TC G system......maybe
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    DrJazzTap said:
    I heard that Buddy Guy was switching over to an Axe FX2 and a TC G system......maybe
    That's nothing. George Formby swears by Kemper. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I think dweezil and vai were using axefx on zappa plays zappa

I'm not sure they were, Dweezil made the jump to axefx for the later tours of Zappa Plays Zappa. I think he was still probably using amps ( Cornfords?) when he was filmed with Vai. He also uses two Axefx as he says they don't have enough processing power. This is a fairly recent rundown of his Axefx set up,I hadn't seen this before
    This is a recent live clip ( you may have to do some FFing to find any prominent guitar bits)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    tFB Trader
    Yeah the tour video I've got of them he's playing a Cornford.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1378
    No one has mentioned speaker technology yet. 

Let's take TV sound. You can buy pretty respectable 'sound bars' that have tiny drivers and model 5.1 surround without rear speakers. They may not be perfect, some are better than others etc but they are out there.

My lad bought a tiny Bose Bluetooth speaker for his phone and its is no bigger that 6" long, and that puts out a decent sound,. The Beats equivalent was shite.

Anyway, point being, is that the traditionalists may rely on cabs of a variety of configurations up to 4x12s but they are big and heavy. I am assuming the digital stuff goes straight into a desk. 

Is the next thing the introduction of smaller, highly efficient cabs thus making smaller heads/combos more attractive?

Just a thought
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024