New Amp Advice - Vox vs Marshall

JohnJohn Frets: 1
Hey there! Been playing a Blackface Princeton Reverb with a 12" Celestion Gold for a whole now and I feel the need and desire to buy a new amplifier.

I just called a guy here locally who had an AC30HW2, a handwired AC30 with two greenback speakers. It got sold yesterday to some other bloke! Anyway, so I'm looking for a new amp and considering an AC30 or maybe some Marshall variant, like a JTM45 or a JMP50 and a cab to go with it.

I'm scouting for good used deals here in Sweden. Still I must say I'm tempted to jump on a new AC30HW2, since they're not that expensive for what you get (about 1200 quid or so). The head is almost as much as the entire combo which makes me steer towards the combo version even though the head+cab version is probably more flexible.

There's a Marshall JTM45 reissue for sale used here too, but I've heard of it being stiff and stuff so I'm sceptical. Seems like Vox are doing a way better job with their reissues with their handwired series at least.

I want a really dynamic/touch sensitive amp with awesome cleans and also a great natural overdrive.
They cost of the AC30HW is kind of my budget ceiling though so I'm not looking into boutique clones of the Marshalls like the Mojave and stuff like that.

Here's an example of the music I play from one of my two bands, Mojo Harvest: [URL=""]
Some of my favourite bands and tones are:
Queens of the Stone Age, Led Zeppelin, Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks, The Doors, Tame Impala, Dungen (awesome swedish band check 'em out), Dead Meadow, Incubus, Hendrix, My Morning Jacket, you get the drill.

Thanks in advance!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
    tFB Trader
    I would say from your list of bands you are probably more on the Marshall Plexi end of things rather than a Vox. They are both great amps. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Agreed. A JMP style amp with a master volume will do those sounds on its own, an AC30 (while being my amp of choice) would either need a pedal or lots of volume to get the level of breakup it sounds like you're getting in that vid.

That said, I love my AC30HW and pedals, AC30+ fuzz would get you QOTSA, Page used AC30s extensively, as did Mike Einzinger. It really is down to personal taste. Do you like/ want pedals? Do you prefer your low end loose or tight? Do you want vox chime or marshall roar?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884

the original Vox HW series had an EF86 channel - the new ones don't I think. I had an AC15H1TV, it was amazing and cheap for what it was. See if you can find any for sale or an AC30HH or AC30H2. These used a Chinese-made Celestion blue, but the amp was tuned for it, and it sounded excellent, if anything it sounded a little better than through the UK-made celestion blue I also had

The AC30 only carries its full reputation with Celestion Blues, it won't be as good without I think

You would get crisper cleans with the vox I think, but if you want a JTM45, I'd get a Ceriatone one, they are handwired for the money you are talking about, and used ones come up for £600. Mine is very nice. I think there was one for sale recently

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884

oh btw

the Voxes need the Alnico blues so much, you need to factor in that cost eventually

The JTM45 will happily play through drivers 70% cheaper