Baritone guitars - anyone else using them?

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884

Over the last few years, I have been getting into Baritone guitars a lot

For anyone wanting more than one sound, I'd recommend experimenting in this area too

I have a 29-inch scale Alan Arnold acoustic http://www.alanarnoldguitars.co.uk/guitar_baritone.htm which sounds stunning. I tried 27 inch acoustics and they don't work tuned down that far I think. I tune it to a dropped DADGAD (G# to G#). The modal tunings work very well on baritones - those open strings ringing on

I got a Black Tele Bari. At 27 inch, it sounds not-quite-right with bari strings, but just using thicker strings and tuning down D-D gives a lovely tone. Btw if you play one in a normal lead rock style, they sound weird, tuned D-D is OK, but any lower, and it needs a different style

Tim Lerch has a longer subsonic Tele, Tuned C-C : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZdOK68RMvo

you can see that going for musicality rather than special effect is what gets results

My latest trick was to get a cheap Schecter Hellcat VI, a 30 inch scale, and tune it A-A (well the DADGAD variation of this). Before changing the strings, I did tune it DADGAD one octave down, which was inspiring. Not a bass, but not a guitar either

I tried an 8 string schecter, tuned GADADGAD, which is good, but I don't want to play all the strings at once, and I value the string spacing more, since I am playing finger style (not a Jazz style, more an acoustic guitar style)

Anyway this post was prompted by a GAK mailshot: there's a new cheap Bass VI out: http://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-vintage-modified-bass-vi-olympic-white/85156   Could be an idea if anyone is wanting to try something different, rather than just another EADGBE 24/25 inch strat/LP

or this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/steinberger_guitars_synapse_transcale_st_2fpa_tb.htm, A long-scale with a built-in capo, which lets you play normal, baritone or capo'd higher tunings, with active EQ and mixed in piezo to get the sound right - works for things like "here comes the sun". This is a great flexible tool. They have dropped the price

btw I have gone the other way too, I have a nice Blueridge Tenor acoustic. Sounds nice (with thinner strings and not tuned to shrillness by over-tensioning the top 2 strings as seems to be the norm)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28019
    I have three - I do like the extra length to the scale.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've just bought a Hellcat VI (I know it's not a baritone) and am on the lookout for another for baritone.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    I've just bought a Hellcat VI (I know it's not a baritone) and am on the lookout for another for baritone.
    I bought 2 of them - I've strung one with a baritone set of strings, got the idea from the musicman one that can be used both ways
  • NorrlandNorrland Frets: 3
    I love 6 string baritones, they are so fun and easier to play than 8 string guitars. 
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1445
    edited March 2019
    I have two - a National Baritone Tricone and a Danelectro. Absolutely love them, although the neck on the Danelectro is too skinny whilst the National has one like a log
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2375
    I have a PRS SE SVN, which is just about a baritone at 26.5". Not doing anything fancy with it though, it's just a step down dropped tuning and is good for extra tightness on the low G.
    Tim
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    The longer scale length and thicker strings work well for some things and not for others.

I was briefly custodian of this forum's "village bicycle" Harley Benton Mosrite-alike Baritone guitar. I got one song out of it. The Moving H-B, having pointed, moved on to James Oliver. Apparently, he used it on a recording session. If I want to recreate that sound now, I use the Roland VG-99.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.