vertigo

Just had another session of Vertigo. It's a real bugger . When I get it , it lasts around 14 to 18 hours . Any movement makes the room spin., and I have had not even a single beer !
I know it is not life threatening , but it is horrible .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Might as well drink a load of beer when it starts?

I'll get me coat.

• I've had long bouts of vertigo.  It is horrid and makes you feel incredibly vulnerable.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    Can I offer some training to watch from the comfort of your computer chair?

• chillidoggy;60695" said:
    Might as well drink a load of beer when it starts?       I'll get me coat.
    I think I would spill most of it ! I'm coming out of it and just have a hang over feeling.

You are right "random" it makes you feel helpless and scary the first time. Sleeping doesn't help , I find even in my dreams I am spinning .
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    the fact that its not triggered by heights ( I assume),  is it not more likely something "wrong" with your inner ear ?

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bertie;60728" said:
    the fact that its not triggered by heights ( I assume),  is it not more likely something "wrong" with your inner ear ?
    Yes has nothing to do with heights. It is an inner ear thing. If you sit still and don't move your head it eases .As soon as you move your head it starts again. What happens is the brain gets conflicting signals from the balance sensors in the ears and tries to get additional information from the eyes . It can be caused by a number things , but you are pretty helpless during a bout.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    mrs f had a bad bout of this couple of weeks agi, doc reckons it was an inner ear infection, antib's cleared it up after a couple of weeks.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    how long have you had it ?   altho I do suffer really badly with heights - but thats fear and an irrational urge to jump !! (quiet everyone)  - I had similar giddyness when I had an ear infection............ is there nothing they can do to help/alleviate the symptoms ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    I think I suffer from something similar, but I've never had it diagnosed as vertigo.  It's pretty horrible.  It usually starts with a feeling of slight pressure behind the eyes and a dizziness as if you're trying on someone else's prescription glasses.  There's a sensation of being dissociated from reality and you have to fix your gaze on a fixed point to try to ease it.  Trying to track any moving object will send me reaching for something to hold onto.  I'm sure it's related to my tinnitus.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    I think it happens when the situation regarding your ears is in transition. I had it terribly when I became deaf in one ear, unable to stand, throwing up etc, but after 2 weeks it settled and I haven't had it since.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • For me it lasts up to 18 hours. It started at 8 last night , started to ease around 9 this morning , but I know from previous experience I will be "delicate" and a bit unsteady for a few days now. I find lying down makes it worse. Sitting up and keeping still helps. I have heard sea sikness pills can help , but have not tried them
  • Yep Emp Fab sounds similar , but with me I cannot focus on a point as it keeps jumping giving you that spinning feeling
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    In all seriousness, my Mum had this years ago and was diagnosed with labrynthitis (sp?)

I successfully diagnosed a colleague at work with the very same when he showed signs. The lads thought I was really clever (not true, obviously).
  • My dad had a turn of vertigo a few weeks back. Really unsettled him, sounds horrible

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Emp_Fab;60757" said:
    I think I suffer from something similar, but I've never had it diagnosed as vertigo.  It's pretty horrible.  It usually starts with a feeling of slight pressure behind the eyes and a dizziness as if you're trying on someone else's prescription glasses.  There's a sensation of being dissociated from reality and you have to fix your gaze on a fixed point to try to ease it.  Trying to track any moving object will send me reaching for something to hold onto.  I'm sure it's related to my tinnitus.
    That sounds more like a blood pressure problem to me.
  • My mum had labyrinthitis, it was quite nasty for her. Antibiotics I think were part of the answer. Not only did she have the balance & vision problems she also had a high temperature and fever symptoms.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself