Thinking about getting a Mesa

What's Hot
mmaatt25mmaatt25 Frets: 4

I'm thinking about getting a Mesa combo and wanted some advice really.  I play rhythm in the covers band I'm currently  covering ZZ Top to Bob Marley to Huey Lewis to ACDC, I think that gives you an idea of variety we play. So I really play with two sounds, nice clean and an OD tone for the ZZ Top/ACDC.

I currently play thorugh a Blackstar ID60H into a Marshall 212 G12H30/V30 which sounds OK, I heard the combo version and I think it sounds better through it's stock speaker. I also have a Maz18 which was great when I played in a Blues band, I've tried setting it clean and using pedals for dirt, but to when it sounds good to me the rest of the band are telling me to turn it down :(

So I was thinking about a Mesa combo, two channels, something like a rectoverb maybe. I know they're heavy, but they seem to be built for gigging.

Cheers

Matt

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    Hi Matt,
    Just interested, is that cab 4 or 8 Ohms please?

Dave.
  • I had a Mesa Express 5:25 combo a few amps back. Lightweight, good clean sounds and nice overdriven sounds - not the most touch responsive overdrive ever and I was put off that I couldn't swap between the two overdriven modes (they may have rectified this since). Would cover the variety you need without busting eardrums.

The other guitarist in the band at the time was using a Mesa DC3 combo, that did absolutely nothing for me whatsoever. He eventually sold it and replaced it with a little cheap Traynor and some pedals.

I think the amps I've tried for gigging, playing similar stuff to you have included:
    Randall RH50
    Orange Tiny Terror
    Vox AC30
    Framus Dragon
    Mesa Express
    70s Marshall JMP
    Dumble clone
    Soldano HR50
    Hughes & Kettner Switchblade

and probably various others I've forgotten about. All the others are gone apart from the Dumble which I'll use in a similar environment to your Maz18, the Soldano for bigger gigs and I'm very happy with the Switchblade for pub gigs etc. It's got usable midi-effects, very good cleans and a variety of overdriven tones, was significantly cheaper than anything else around and I don't need to take a pedalboard. Have a look at some of the Thomas Blug demos and you'll get an idea of what they can do.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26955
    Mesa Express 5:25 user here. It's a great do-all amp. The newer "Plus" version is even better. It'll certainly do everything you mention. I actually found I preferred using the cleans on the heavier channel and the dirt on the cleaner side, but it's all good if it sounds right. 

I wonder if you might find using your Maz with an attenuator might actually be a better solution for you though if you're otherwise happy with how it sounds.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Trem-o-verb.

The best amp ever made.

OK, that's probably not quite true for every player and every style, and they are discontinued and very, very heavy... but they really are great. I liked mine so much I bought another one, despite currently having not much practical use even for one, let alone two :). I could seriously never need another amp, though.

Interesting thing about the Blackstar ID60 - when I tested one, I found it sounded better through a cheap Marshall Valvestate cab than a proper full-size 1960 as well. I suspect it's voiced for the stock speaker, which is likely to be something quite midrangy and 'stiff' (Seventy/80?). I didn't try it with V30s, but the H30 is a bright, deep, loose-sounding speaker and may not sound at all good with it. You definitely need a 4-ohm load to get the best out of it as well, as Dave hinted.

You could probably get it to sound much better if you replaced the 'good' speakers with a pair of 8-ohm Seventy/80s to give a 4-ohm cab.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Not mich help to you but...I've come to a realisation lately that my favourite amps I've owned have both been Mesas; an Express 5:25, and a Single Rectifier. On that basis, I'm getting a Mini Recto next 8)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Really want to try one of those ID amps through my Egnater cab; 4 v30's... very interested in the poweramp modelling.
  • ecc83 said:
    Hi Matt,
    Just interested, is that cab 4 or 8 Ohms please?

Dave.

It's wired for 8 Ohms, both my G12H30 & V30 are 16 Ohm versions.

• I wonder if you might find using your Maz with an attenuator might actually be a better solution for you though if you're otherwise happy with how it sounds.

I use a Dr Z brakelite, I found the first two settings reduce the overall volume very little,
    but importantly keep the tone intact, where as the third and fourth reduce the volume allowing the amp to be turned up but it seems zap the life out of the tone, which i know is what an attenuator does when reducing this much volume.

As an aside after trying these speakers with my Maz18 G12H30, V30, Greenback, Creamback, WGS ET65 & Emminence Delta Pro 12A my favorite is the Emminence Delta Pro 12A in an open back cab (to bassy in closed back) followed by the ET65 in my DIY Forte 3D style 112 cab and then G12H30/V30 in my Marshall 1936.

• ICBM said:
    Trem-o-verb.

The best amp ever made.

Interesting thing about the Blackstar ID60 - when I tested one, I found it sounded better through a cheap Marshall Valvestate cab than a proper full-size 1960 as well. I suspect it's voiced for the stock speaker, which is likely to be something quite midrangy and 'stiff' (Seventy/80?). I didn't try it with V30s, but the H30 is a bright, deep, loose-sounding speaker and may not sound at all good with it. You definitely need a 4-ohm load to get the best out of it as well, as Dave hinted.

A Tremoverb is very tempting, but very heavy.

I tried speakers of different Ohms I only noticed that when running at 16 Ohms it wasn't as loud as at 8 Ohms, I dont think I ran it it at 4 Ohms. I may well be over simplifying things by saying it was just quieter :) 

mmaatt25 said:

I use a Dr Z brakelite, I found the first two settings reduce the overall volume very little,
    but importantly keep the tone intact, where as the third and fourth reduce the volume allowing the amp to be turned up but it seems zap the life out of the tone, which i know is what an attenuator does when reducing this much volume.

Depends on the attenuator and the amp.

I find that a very strange assumption... most people don't think that all overdrive pedals sound the same, in fact not even all 'clean boosts' sound the same (even though you might have more reason for thinking they do, if they're truly clean), so why should all attenuators sound the same, or have the same effect on the tone at different settings?

Personally I found the Brake Lite to be a very crude and hugely overpriced attenuator. It does work, but it does exactly what you said. There are many other much better ones - although it's true than in general the best ones do tend to cost the most, it's not always so - for very low-powered amps, a basic L-pad often works very nicely. Some of the really top-quality ones will sound very similar right down to very low levels.

You need to experiment with different attenutors just as much as you do with different pedals, if you want to find the best one for your particular amp and speakers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1258
    edited October 2013
    Another vote for the Express 5:25 here. It's all the anp I'll ever need[1] in a ridiculously convenient, easy to carry, easy to use package. On the basis of what you say I think it's quite possible it could be all the amp you need too, I certainly wouldn't advise buying anything bigger, heavier, more powerful, or more expensive from the Mesa line without trying one of the Express series first - it may be entry level for Mesa but it's a heck of a good piece of kit.

[1] It's just possible that at some point I might want/need something the same but just a little louder, in which case I think I'm straight over to Coda to check out a Bad Cat Unleash to go between it and the 2x12 I sometimes use as an extension cab...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • If it's not been mentioned then listen to some demos of the Mesa Transatlantic, they cover a world of tones, I nearly got one myself.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • I just got a Mesa Electra Dyne 1x12 this past week. Outstanding amp - american style clean and brit gain in two flavours. Check them out.
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    I have a Roadking 2x12 combo for sale at the moment.....and yeah.....It's bloody heavy

BTW Hi everyone, only just found this place after sitting waiting for MR to come back online :D
  • Thanks for replies. I've got an offer of a trade, my Maz for Express 5:50+ seems like this amp would fit the bill nicely. Any thought on these?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I would do that in a second.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26955
    Certainly an excellent and very flexible amp. I wouldn't do it without trying to check you like it, but it's a good deal if it clicks with you.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I tried jaygee's 5:25 at the southeast gear fest and although I only played it for 10 mins it seemed like a great amp. Surprisingly simple to set up considering the amount of knobs on it.

If I needed a amp for playing a wide range of covers it would be on my radar too. ;)

• JoesaJoesa Frets: 86
    edited October 2013
    I've got a Mesa F30 and it would suit your music perfectly. Beautiful cleans and overdrive sounds with a boost switch on the overdrive channel. Two EL84's, four 12AX7's, long tank spring reverb ( footswitchable ), bright switch on clean channel and contour switch on overdrive. Celestion Vintage 30 speaker and built like a tank. Had an Orange Rocker 30 before it and the F30 is much more flexible, especially if you're doing covers.The cleans on the Mesa are much, much better although I have to admit I loved the crunch tone of the Orange  Not as aggressive as a Recto and perfect really for Classic Rock and Blues. Plenty loud enough and you can make up a jack cable which turns the Parallel Effects loop mix pot into what is effectively an attenuator. I've had it 3 years now and not a problem. Haven't needed to even change a valve.